The Student Room Group

Biology/Chemistry research topic

Hi guys, I'm going to be starting/doing a project/essay this year on a biology/chemistry topic. I basically need some help:

-First, I brainstormed around biomining (in space) But I'm not sure how to put it in question form/if it's a dead end. NEED SOME ADVICE. It has been driving me nuts!🤪

-current topics in Biology and Chemistry that one can research into

THANKS!

Scroll to see replies

Is this for an EPQ?
Original post by oliviafreyab3
Is this for an EPQ?

Yes, but i didnt want to say so because everyone said that its all about what i like not them. But in truth i just want a variety of different ideas chucked at me.
Original post by Bookworm_88
Yes, but i didnt want to say so because everyone said that its all about what i like not them. But in truth i just want a variety of different ideas chucked at me.

Well i wrote mine last year on clinical and socio-economic pros and cons of the NHS and over-generalised care, i studied bio, chem and geography, the scientific element came from doing a case study into dermatological conditions, their causes and medications and how the NHS as an organisation can both hinder and improve scientific developments in this area medicine.

However, some ideas could be genetic engineering, the effects of global warming on..., perhaps you could develop your own reaction pathway for a new product. The topics for an EPQ are so broad so its a good idea to base it upon something you are interested in pursuing after A-levels and draw on areas of the bio/chem spec.

Also the EQP dosen't have to be solely essay based so if you'd rather do a project and presentation that is an option.
(edited 3 years ago)
Well i wrote mine last year on clinical and socio-economic pros and cons of the NHS and over-generalised care, i studied bio, chem and geography, the scientific element came from doing a case study into dermatological conditions, their causes and medications and how the NHS as an organisation can both hinder and improve scientific developments in this area medicine.

However, some ideas could be genetic engineering, the effects of global warming on..., perhaps you could develop your own reaction pathway for a new product. The topics for an EPQ are so broad so its a good idea to base it upon something you are interested in pursuing after A-levels and draw on areas of the bio/chem spec.

Also the EQP dosen't have to be solely essay based so if you'd rather do a project and presentation that is an option.

Any comment on the biomining topic? As this is the one my gut is pulling me towards. Sorry for being a pain!
Any comment on the biomining topic? As this is the one my gut is pulling me towards. Sorry for being a pain!

I think that is a great idea and it is relevant to both the chemistry and biology spec. I've also never herd of anyone doing it before so it wont be cliché. You could do to find a narrow title, perhaps how biominng could help counteract the effects of... (something to do with human activity and pollution or maybe around reducing the use of energy exhaustive metal extraction processes. Maybe "Biomining: A greener future. idk, I struggled to come up with a title and narrower topic at first but I hope that helps.
And your not being a pain, this is what the site is for aha.
I think that is a great idea and it is relevant to both the chemistry and biology spec. I've also never herd of anyone doing it before so it wont be cliché. You could do to find a narrow title, perhaps how biominng could help counteract the effects of... (something to do with human activity and pollution or maybe around reducing the use of energy exhaustive metal extraction processes. Maybe "Biomining: A greener future. idk, I struggled to come up with a title and narrower topic at first but I hope that helps.
And your not being a pain, this is what the site is for aha.

Thanks. I was hoping u wouldnt take that badly!
Hi, i am going to be starting an EPQ and I was thinking about doing it on chemistry, but not sure about what topic (which is why i have come to tsr) im interested in periodic chemistry/ elements and organic chemistry.
Hi, i am going to be starting an EPQ and I was thinking about doing it on chemistry, but not sure about what topic (which is why i have come to tsr) im interested in periodic chemistry/ elements and organic chemistry.

Have you done any reading into the topics you're interested in?/ Looked at any previous EPQs on similar/related subjects to get any ideas?
Yes, but got little inspiration from them:frown:
Hi, i am going to be starting an EPQ and I was thinking about doing it on chemistry, but not sure about what topic (which is why i have come to tsr) im interested in periodic chemistry/ elements and organic chemistry
Hi, I moved your post to a relevant forum :h: You shouldn't do it on anything that overlap with the content you learn in A levels
Hi, I need some ideas on either:

-Current chemistry related news
-Current chemistry related issues
-Current chemistry related topics (of research?)

as I am thinking about a chemistry related EPQ .

P.S. I am interested in periodic table/elements chemistry, chemistry applications and organic chemistry
Hi, I need some ideas on either:

-Current chemistry related news
-Current chemistry related issues
-Current chemistry related topics (of research?)

as I am thinking about a chemistry related EPQ .

P.S. I am interested in periodic table/elements chemistry, chemistry applications in the world/ industry and organic chemistry
Hi, I need chemistry topics for an epq

I like chemistry related to:
the periodic table and elements etc.
Chemistry applied in the world/ industry
Organic chemistry

Any ideas would be immensely appreciated. Thanks

Organic chemistry

Organic chemistry

Be careful not to overlap your ideas with what you are learning for A levels but if you want some inspiration for current news/ issues/ research, you could look at this: https://www.newscientist.com/
I've had a look. thanks for the advice. I just feel a bit lost😵
they also didn't have anything on chemistry unfortunately

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending