The Student Room Group

I received a rejection from Lancaster and Bristol for Masters in Marketing courses

I received rejections from Lancaster and Bristol University where I applied for MSc in Advanced Marketing and Management (Marketing) respectively.
So I am from India and I have graduated from Xavier University Bhubaneswar which is decent ranking college in the country, I have a score of 74.4% in my graduation and I have completed my graduation in Bachelors in Business Management (Marketing) since then I have been working for a year and have scored 7 in IELTS with all minimum cut offs clearing the University requirements.
So I need to know what went wrong as these Universities say that my "Academic Background is not suitable for their course" so I am not sure what do they mean by that?
Please if anyone can help me out with this

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Siddhantmalpani
I received rejections from Lancaster and Bristol University where I applied for MSc in Advanced Marketing and Management (Marketing) respectively.
So I am from India and I have graduated from Xavier University Bhubaneswar which is decent ranking college in the country, I have a score of 74.4% in my graduation and I have completed my graduation in Bachelors in Business Management (Marketing) since then I have been working for a year and have scored 7 in IELTS with all minimum cut offs clearing the University requirements.
So I need to know what went wrong as these Universities say that my "Academic Background is not suitable for their course" so I am not sure what do they mean by that?

Hi @Siddhantmalpani

Whilst I am not part of either of these universities, I would suggest contacting their admissions teams and asking for feedback on your application.

We also offer an MSc in Marketing and Management at Hull and there are also other universities within the uk who offer MSc Marketing and management as well such as University of East Anglia, Leicester de Montfort University to name a couple.

Emily
University of Hull Student Representative

Hello,
I'd recommend contacting the postgraduate admissions for a detailed insight into why you were unsuccesful. It's worth asking what you could do to increase your chance of an offer if you apply.
Details for postgraduate admissions: [email protected] or telephone us on +44 (0) 1524 592032
Let me know if there's anything I can help you with.
Charlotte :smile:
3rd year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine
There is a significant reason for this rejection which is the fund, Believe me, the Coronavirus Pandemic has a remarkable unwanted and negatives repercussions on the UK higher education system. This means many colleges endure to pay the salaries for professors and other employees, therefore, abundant of people at high threat in this felid to lose their permanent jobs forever, Actually, many colleges cut the wages by one-third or even more of each worker in academia as well as a lot of people who work under a short time contact have been informed that they do not belong to their educational centres anymore and they must look at another job. As a result, if you are not a self-funded student just forget about getting admission even if you graduate from Harvard school. This is the only possible explanation for that. You must show your school that you are capable to bring money to the institute not taking money from them at the worst time of their career life
(edited 3 years ago)
Alright I get but I have mentioned that my father would be funding my education for my Master's programme but anyway I'll keep that piece of advice with me.

Original post by BA2000
There is a significant reason for this rejection which is the fund, Believe me, the Coronavirus Pandemic has a remarkable unwanted and negatives repercussions on the UK higher education system. This means many colleges endure to pay the salaries for professors and other employees, therefore, abundant of people at high threat in this felid to lose their permanent jobs forever, Actually, many colleges cut the wages by one-third or even more of each worker in academia as well as a lot of people who work under a short time contact have been informed that they do not belong to their educational centres anymore and they must look at another job. As a result, if you are not a self-funded student just forget about getting admission even if you graduate from Harvard school. This is the only possible explanation for that. You must show your school that you are capable to bring money to the institute not taking money from them at the worst time of their career life
I think it's very unlikely to be anything funding related. If they've already said it's related to your "academic background" then I can only assume it's related to whatever ranking of your Uni they are using, or your grade.

As above, I would ask them for more specific feedback, IE does this related to the ranking of your Uni or the grade?
what you think is different from reality. Now, colleges around the globe not even in the UK motivate students to apply for their courses, and only a few people will take the risk to do it this year

all universities globally will face a shortage of the number of students that is a fact you believe it or not is up to you

Regarding your rejection problem if it is not a funding issue 'which is highly unlikely to be another reason than the fund', then you should not waste your time asking why the rejected you because there are a lot of better educational centres willing to admit you
(edited 3 years ago)

I'm afraid it will be the academic credentials of your University, which are relatively unproven. XUB is a brand new University, and so most universities in the UK will not know it, and will have no evidence of it's academic standing.

Whatever research they have been able to do (and certainly Bristol will have international recruitment staff who travel to India to research Universities, not sure about Lancaster) they have decided that the graduating strength of an undergrad degree from XUB is not the level required for them.
Original post by threeportdrift
I'm afraid it will be the academic credentials of your University, which are relatively unproven. XUB is a brand new University, and so most universities in the UK will not know it, and will have no evidence of it's academic standing.

Whatever research they have been able to do (and certainly Bristol will have international recruitment staff who travel to India to research Universities, not sure about Lancaster) they have decided that the graduating strength of an undergrad degree from XUB is not the level required for them.

So as per you do I need to give a GMAT to get pass through the admission process and secure a place in the course? Since if my University is not much known to the Universities in the UK
So as per you do I need to give a GMAT to get pass through the admission process and secure a place in the course? Since if my University is not much known to the Universities in the UK

A great GMAT score might help in some cases. But I'm afraid that Indian Universities just have a general reputation in the UK of not all having graduating standards as high as needed in the UK. That is absolutely not true in all cases, and it's a changing situation as well. But a new university is going to have to establish a strong academic reputation before it's graduates can get into the top UK universities.

It's difficult because it's a bit 'chicken and egg', but additional things like a very high GMAT or a competitive scholarship might strengthen the application and reduce the perceived risk by the university.
Firstly, no one can argue that the university ranking is playing one of the roles of selecting criteria for new students by the admission team, however, the problem once again is the fund, for instance, the admission team will be motivated to accept who can support his tuition fees and living expenses even with low academic background and there is a high probability to reject admission of students who graduated from a good university without fund.

Furthermore, it is a profoundly common scenario especially for international students 'Business job'. This can be illustrated by checking the Linkedin and you can easily find out that a lot of master students at KCL and UCL LSE while they graduate from completely low ranking universities

It is known and that was the cases even before this crisis and the main goal is receiving a lot of money from them, Moreover, A strong competition between Australian, New Zeland, UK, Canda, USA and now Chinese universities have involved into this industry to attract more international students to create more money out of poor people like me hoping this degree will benefit us in the future and to flourish the education business models

Thus, Guys let us be realistic, I am strongly assuming that his rejection is due to his lack of fund and off course school can not say this directly to him, but they will try to find a decent excuse and if he does not understand that he must prove to the school his financial capability then I am afraid that 100% rejection

Good luck
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by BA2000
Firstly, no one can argue that the university ranking is playing one of the roles of selecting criteria for new students by the admission team, however, the problem once again is the fund, for instance, the admission team will be motivated to accept who can support his tuition fees and living expenses even with low academic background and there is a high probability to reject admission of students who graduated from a good university without fund.

Furthermore, it is a profoundly common scenario especially for international students 'Business job'. This can be illustrated by checking the Linkedin and you can easily find out that a lot of master students at KCL and UCL LSE while they graduate from completely low ranking universities

It is known and that was the cases even before this crisis and the main goal is receiving a lot of money from them, Moreover, A strong competition between Australian, New Zeland, UK, Canda, USA and now Chinese universities have involved into this industry to attract more international students to create more money out of poor people like me hoping this degree will benefit us in the future and to flourish the education business models

Thus, Guys let us be realistic, I am strongly assuming that his rejection is due to his lack of fund and off course school can not say this directly to him, but they will try to find a decent excuse and if he does not understand that he must prove to the school his financial capability then I am afraid that 100% rejection

Good luck

Reading your replies is like watch an episode of Monty Python. Stop beating the horse, it is already dead! The OP has already said that the s/he will be self-funded, and has stated this clearly on the application.
Original post by BA2000

Good luck

As above, the OP has already stated that they would have been self funding.

I also note the two programmes in question seem to be 1 year taught masters courses. You seem to be conflating research courses where funding might be brought in from an external sponsor, and taught courses where there is a single tuition fee to be paid and it's up to the student where those funds come from.
Original post by chaotic1328
Reading your replies is like watch an episode of Monty Python. Stop beating the horse, it is already dead! The OP has already said that the s/he will be self-funded, and has stated this clearly on the application.

I am not beating anything, I could stop laughing about your comment, I know my words is too tough for some people to hear, Anyway sometime knowing facts are annoying us so I can understand
Original post by Admit-One
As above, the OP has already stated that they would have been self funding.

I also note the two programmes in question seem to be 1 year taught masters courses. You seem to be conflating research courses where funding might be brought in from an external sponsor, and taught courses where there is a single tuition fee to be paid and it's up to the student where those funds come from.

It is not related to point of view, it is facts and I know that I might get such feedback because everyone will try to protect and defend his or her business
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 14
@BA2000 Can you name a few reliable sources for your 'facts'? If not, then they aren't facts but unproven (and subjective) claims.
Original post by uhua842
@BA2000 Can you name a few reliable sources for your 'facts'? If not, then they aren't facts but unproven (and subjective) claims.

As I mentioned before, it is a business and your job is to protect this business, so I can understand your situation, so it will be a waste of time just to prove to someone any facts while he or she will never listen and always reasoning things without goal except to hide this facts
Original post by BA2000
what you think is different from reality. Now, colleges around the globe not even in the UK motivate students to apply for their courses, and only a few people will take the risk to do it this year

all universities globally will face a shortage of the number of students that is a fact you believe it or not is up to you

Regarding your rejection problem if it is not a funding issue 'which is highly unlikely to be another reason than the fund', then you should not waste your time asking why the rejected you because there are a lot of better educational centres willing to admit you

Your chatting absolute baloney.... 😂 UK universities love international students... That's where the money is made. If OP was rejected it's simply because his university, maybe good in his country but doesn't reflect probably a true research intensive university. Which could make the academic staff skittish on his ability to cope with the course, or his PS didn't reflect what they were looking for and other candidates simply had more of a sparkle on their CV.

OP can find another UK uni, more suitable to his previous education. He may need to look just outside of the RG, but this is still a significant top up to his education as even middling universities in the UK will look very attractive once he returns home.

University of Kent,
Royal Holloway,
University of Portsmouth,
University of Essex,
Nottingham Trent,

All viable options for OP to consider.

@Siddhantmalpani
Original post by Realitysreflexx
Your chatting absolute baloney.... 😂 UK universities love international students... That's where the money is made. If OP was rejected it's simply because his university, maybe good in his country but doesn't reflect probably a true research intensive university. Which could make the academic staff skittish on his ability to cope with the course, or his PS didn't reflect what they were looking for and other candidates simply had more of a sparkle on their CV.

OP can find another UK uni, more suitable to his previous education. He may need to look just outside of the RG, but this is still a significant top up to his education as even middling universities in the UK will look very attractive once he returns home.

University of Kent,
Royal Holloway,
University of Portsmouth,
University of Essex,
Nottingham Trent,

All viable options for OP to consider.

@Siddhantmalpani

No no no I can not believe my stomach is hurting me from laughing, I know from the beginning this post goal is marketing lower-ranking schools in the UK to encourage us to apply, It is absolutely so funny,
Also, let me please correct to you some information that UK universities love international students money haha bye
Original post by BA2000
It is not related to point of view, it is facts and I know that I might get such feedback because everyone will try to protect and defend his or her business

I am sorry to be blunt but your posts in this thread have been very counterproductive. We are having to spend time correcting your guesswork. You claim to be stating 'facts' but everything in is hearsay. There's nothing here to suggest you have any experience in postgrad admissions in the UK.

By your logic, in the current environment then UK uni's would be even more welcoming to a self funding student.

OP: Posts #3, #6 & #8 are the most relevant to your position.
Original post by BA2000
No no no I can not believe my stomach is hurting me from laughing, I know from the beginning this post goal is marketing lower-ranking schools in the UK to encourage us to apply, It is absolutely so funny,
Also, let me please correct to you some information that UK universities love international students money haha bye

Well i attended a Russell group myself..Nottingham actually.. Where have you studied in the UK one might wonder......have you even visited the UK for that matter... ..so i highly doubt I'm marketing anything just giving real experiences... I'm simply giving OP options for a legitimate reality, not a delusional fairytale your living in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending