The Student Room Group

Could the UK make it's own union?

I was just wondering if we could make our own union, now seeing that we are leaving the EU.

We could have the same rules as the EU, but ever so slightly better to encourage countries to join.

We could then have commonwealth countries out of europe to connect us worldwide such as Canada, Australia and New Zealand. And every member state can have a little union jack in the corner of its flag.

I think this would be a good compromise for both remainers and brexiters because we would be out of the eu but still in a union.

HQ could be in london of course.

Maybe the union could be called the "United Kingdom" and what we currently see as the UK can be changed to Great Britain? Because there isn't really much difference between UK and GB anyways?

Another idea I had was to merge the uk with neighbouring nations such as Scandinavian countries, Belgium, Netherlands etc... just to keep us on the leaderboards because I find it so depressing how by 2050 our gdp will drop to 10th place and counties like Brazil and Mexico will be overtaking us!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Alessandro.C_27
I was just wondering if we could make our own union, now seeing that we are leaving the EU.

We could have the same rules as the EU, but ever so slightly better to encourage countries to join.

We could then have commonwealth countries out of europe to connect us worldwide such as Canada, Australia and New Zealand. And every member state can have a little union jack in the corner of its flag.

I think this would be a good compromise for both remainers and brexiters because we would be out of the eu but still in a union.

Maybe the union could be called the "United Kingdom" and what we currently see as the UK can be changed to Great Britain? Because there isn't really much difference between UK and GB anyways?

Another idea I had was to merge the uk with neighbouring nations such as Scandinavian countries, Belgium, Netherlands etc... just to keep us on the leaderboards because I find it so depressing how by 2050 our gdp will drop to 10th place and counties like Brazil and Mexico will be overtaking us!!

so you want the British empire to come back
Reply 2
I like the Commonwealth, but in terms of an economic union (and I notice it only ever seems to be the majority-white Commonwealth countries that get mentioned) you could hardly find a less suitable arrangement.

The UK trades significantly with its neighbours because it is close. Equally Canada does the same with the United States. Australia and New Zealand shifted economic focus to the United States and the emerging markets of Asia. An economic union between the four defies geography. Of course, we are significantly more service-focused as an economy - but free trade arrangements aren't particularly essential in that regard (and never seem to work their way very effectively into FTAs).

Commonwealth preference, dominions linking their currency to sterling etc - it was once so, and it is not now. Largely because the nations concerned, including the UK, saw their economic interests in their regional spheres rather than with each other. 4

"Another idea I had was to merge the uk with neighbouring nations such as Scandinavian countries, Belgium, Netherlands etc..."

I'm not sure any of these nations are particularly willing to hand over their sovereignty in such a way. And presumably it would simply mean re-entering the EU again.
Original post by helloThere52
so you want the British empire to come back

Pretty much but of course with the consent of the countries, I obviously don't want to bring back any form of inequality or racism.
Original post by L i b
I like the Commonwealth, but in terms of an economic union (and I notice it only ever seems to be the majority-white Commonwealth countries that get mentioned) you could hardly find a less suitable arrangement.

The UK trades significantly with its neighbours because it is close. Equally Canada does the same with the United States. Australia and New Zealand shifted economic focus to the United States and the emerging markets of Asia. An economic union between the four defies geography. Of course, we are significantly more service-focused as an economy - but free trade arrangements aren't particularly essential in that regard (and never seem to work their way very effectively into FTAs).

Commonwealth preference, dominions linking their currency to sterling etc - it was once so, and it is not now. Largely because the nations concerned, including the UK, saw their economic interests in their regional spheres rather than with each other. 4

"Another idea I had was to merge the uk with neighbouring nations such as Scandinavian countries, Belgium, Netherlands etc..."

I'm not sure any of these nations are particularly willing to hand over their sovereignty in such a way. And presumably it would simply mean re-entering the EU again.

It would be like re entering the EU again, but with London being the capital, instead of Brussels.
Reply 5
One of the main points of leaving the EU was to reduce control of external non-elected powers, yes we could produce a better union but it would be a bit hypocritical to do it.

I'd rather just trade individually with other nations without european regulations, than be in a union that has a set number of rules that a country must follow even if it doesn't benefit them entirely.

"every member state can have a little union jack in the corner of its flag" - lol you think every nation views British rule as rosy as you do to accept this, the UK has a population of under 70 million, economies are readjusting to their population sizes, im sorry the UK isn't as important to the world as you think it is
CANZUK or similar is never going to happen. Australia has been against it for a while.

Not many countries would appreciate that.

Northern Ireland says hello.

:confused:

I find it so depressing how by 2050 our gdp will drop to 10th place and counties like Brazil and Mexico will be overtaking us!!

Thank you for making the case for a federal Europe! Europeans are stronger as one than seperately :smile: Mr Verhofstadt et al. will be delighted!
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by BlueIndigoViolet
"every member state can have a little union jack in the corner of its flag" - lol you think every nation views British rule as rosy as you do to accept this, the UK has a population of under 70 million, economies are readjusting to their population sizes, im sorry the UK isn't as important to the world as you think it is

It has the potential to become important again though, we just have to start preparing now. Like encouraging people to have more children and encourage skilled workers to come here
Original post by Daveological
CANZUK or similar is never going to happen. Australia has been against it for a while.

That was something I have been looking into, seems like a good idea!
Original post by Daveological
:confused:

With what you said about northern Ireland, it can just be merged with GB
Original post by BlueIndigoViolet
I find it so depressing how by 2050 our gdp will drop to 10th place and counties like Brazil and Mexico will be overtaking us!!

Thank you for making the case for a federal Europe! Europeans are stronger as one than seperately :smile: Mr Verhofstadt et al. will be delighted!

Only thing about federal europe is that now were out of the EU, it seems pretty unlikely that we would be part of it. Unless if we started a Union and invited all EU members to convert from EU to my proposed union led by the UK
That was something I have been looking into, seems like a good idea!

It's a good idea but it won't happen.

With what you said about northern Ireland, it can just be merged with GB

Great Britain is the name of the island. Northern Ireland is on Ireland, not Great Britain.

The "United" Kingdom is going to have a hard time just keeping Scotland. Leaving the EU is a massive mistake, which is spreading disunity in just our small union.

I was thinking the exact same thing! Making the Commonwealth the next EU, except it's centred in London rather than Brussels!
Original post by Gundabad(good)
I was thinking the exact same thing! Making the Commonwealth the next EU, except it's centred in London rather than Brussels!

Precisely sir! I am a remainer however we need to see the next best alternative for us which I think will be a union with London as its capital. Once we get CANZUK sorted. then we can tempt non EU states such as Switzerland, Norway, Iceland etc... to join, and then after that, we can ask EU member states to join. And we would then have a more powerful EU with London as its capital. The dream for both Brexitiers who want the UK to be more powerful, and for the remainers who want a union.
Original post by RogerOxon
The "United" Kingdom is going to have a hard time just keeping Scotland. Leaving the EU is a massive mistake, which is spreading disunity in just our small union.

Agreed!
Original post by HRobson_BMC
Good thing that they'd never accept such a proposal. They don't deserve to be dragged down with us.

They would give us more power and influence globally, keeping us up on the GDP ranking tables
Precisely sir! I am a remainer however we need to see the next best alternative for us which I think will be a union with London as its capital. Once we get CANZUK sorted. then we can tempt non EU states such as Switzerland, Norway, Iceland etc... to join, and then after that, we can ask EU member states to join. And we would then have a more powerful EU with London as its capital. The dream for both Brexitiers who want the UK to be more powerful, and for the remainers who want a union.

We will create our own glorious union!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending