The Student Room Group

I received a rejection from Lancaster and Bristol for Masters in Marketing courses

Scroll to see replies

I think what our dear esteemed BA2000 is saying is that while our facts are merely opinions, his opinions are hard facts.

His response does not make any sense, for even accepting what he had stated, that UK universities are now only concern with making money, is true, he ignores the fact that the OP is a self-funded international student paying very high international fees, and therefore should be welcomed by all institution with open arms.
Original post by chaotic1328
I think what our dear esteemed BA2000 is saying is that while our facts are merely opinions, his opinions are hard facts.

Haha, PRSOM.

Original post by chaotic1328
His response does not make any sense, for even accepting what he had stated, that UK universities are now only concern with making money, is true, he ignores the fact that the OP is a self-funded international student paying very high international fees, and therefore should be welcomed by all institution with open arms.

Bingo.
Original post by Siddhantmalpani
I received rejections from Lancaster and Bristol University where I applied for MSc in Advanced Marketing and Management (Marketing) respectively.
So I am from India and I have graduated from Xavier University Bhubaneswar which is decent ranking college in the country, I have a score of 74.4% in my graduation and I have completed my graduation in Bachelors in Business Management (Marketing) since then I have been working for a year and have scored 7 in IELTS with all minimum cut offs clearing the University requirements.
So I need to know what went wrong as these Universities say that my "Academic Background is not suitable for their course" so I am not sure what do they mean by that?
Please if anyone can help me out with this

Just to confirm the BA2000 person is speaking a load of rubbish. Best to ignore because they seem unable to comprehend you are self funding.

As pointed out get some feedback from the unis, but I would think its your uni isnt good enough. Ask them what level they typically look for.
Contact them and get them to check it.
http://www.bristol.ac.uk/international/countries/india.html#contact
I feel sorry to all of you, you really seem in a very bad situation, the shock is beyond your ability to cope with it

I will tell you some point before leaving to you your crazy life

you are sinking but this is not the real problem, where the problem is your inability to listen to who try to tell you your situation

I can not waste my time more

good luck
bye
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Realitysreflexx
Well i attended a Russell group myself..Nottingham actually.. Where have you studied in the UK one might wonder......have you even visited the UK for that matter... ..so i highly doubt I'm marketing anything just giving real experiences... I'm simply giving OP options for a legitimate reality, not a delusional fairytale your living in.

Original post by Realitysreflexx
Your chatting absolute baloney.... 😂 UK universities love international students... That's where the money is made. If OP was rejected it's simply because his university, maybe good in his country but doesn't reflect probably a true research intensive university. Which could make the academic staff skittish on his ability to cope with the course, or his PS didn't reflect what they were looking for and other candidates simply had more of a sparkle on their CV.

OP can find another UK uni, more suitable to his previous education. He may need to look just outside of the RG, but this is still a significant top up to his education as even middling universities in the UK will look very attractive once he returns home.

University of Kent,
Royal Holloway,
University of Portsmouth,
University of Essex,
Nottingham Trent,

All viable options for OP to consider.

@Siddhantmalpani

Hey Realitysreflexx

So looking at the conversation thread I would like to mention that I am self-funded and I have mentioned that in my application forms as well and for the Universities, you suggested I haven't applied to them but I do hold offers from Loughborough (MSc in Digital Marketing) which I have been told is an amazing option by a lot of people followed University of Birmingham (MSc in International marketing) and Cranfield (MSc in Strategic marketing) and my results from King's, Leeds and Sheffield are yet to be disclosed so what should be my ideal decision at this point of time?
Hey Realitysreflexx

So looking at the conversation thread I would like to mention that I am self-funded and I have mentioned that in my application forms as well and for the Universities, you suggested I haven't applied to them but I do hold offers from Loughborough (MSc in Digital Marketing) which I have been told is an amazing option by a lot of people followed University of Birmingham (MSc in International marketing) and Cranfield (MSc in Strategic marketing) and my results from King's, Leeds and Sheffield are yet to be disclosed so what should be my ideal decision at this point of time?

Loughborough would be a good option but you might as well wait to get replies from all the unis you applied to before making a decision about which one to accept
Cranfield and business related master's ...hmmm...reminds me of the days when a Cranfield MBA used to be the dog's proverbial back in the early 90s (yes, I am that old!). I wonder how that is viewed these days.

Strictly with my snob's hat on, I wonder why people would choose a non-redbrick over a redbrick? Ranking can and do changes, often at quite a bewildering pace, plus there are no reliable metrics to determine academic qualities of most degrees anyway. So given all that, why not choose a university that has long established history rather than a younger institution, everything else being equal? In that context, Oxbridge, Durham/London/Redbricks/Scottish Ancients (I do concede that the Scottish Ancients are far older than the others in this group, but once you get past a century of history, who's counting? Oxbridge are the exceptions because they earned that reputation), other Civics, 60s, post-92s would be the logical order of choice, if, and I must stress this, everything else is equal.
Hey Realitysreflexx

King's would likely be your best option reputation wise if you got in.
Leed's and Sheffield are about equal.
Loughborough gets alot of hype on TSR but is pretty obscure internationally so keep that in mind. Though for 98% of jobs globally you probably wouldn't get discounted just for that reason...

It's really more about course and what you want to get from a university at this point...when your discussing all good universities as your doing here. Apparently your previous education is adequate enough and didn't play a factor in you getting rejected (likely) so i apologise for that incorrect assumption. Then there's no reason to apply to the universities i mentioned...though Royal Holloway is quite good for marketing!

But you definitely have an advantage during this cycle..... Because international students are highly prized and needed to fill a massive financial gap in Universities that are run as businesses in the UK. For example leeds has pushed back starting courses till January 2021, solely to appease international students. I actually had an offer from them! Luckily i have picked a dutch research university where the primary focus is still on educating Europeans... 😂 😂 And is still funded primarily by a generous government!
(edited 3 years ago)
I received rejections from Lancaster and Bristol University where I applied for MSc in Advanced Marketing and Management (Marketing) respectively.
So I am from India and I have graduated from Xavier University Bhubaneswar which is decent ranking college in the country, I have a score of 74.4% in my graduation and I have completed my graduation in Bachelors in Business Management (Marketing) since then I have been working for a year and have scored 7 in IELTS with all minimum cut offs clearing the University requirements.
So I need to know what went wrong as these Universities say that my "Academic Background is not suitable for their course" so I am not sure what do they mean by that?
Please if anyone can help me out with this

Email them and ask for feedback.

It could be anything in your application or simply the course filled up with more qualified candidates.

Also just because there is a minimum standard doesn’t mean that meeting it gets you an offer, this is the minimum to be considered.
Hey Realitysreflexx

Hi Siddhantmalpani,

I'm pleased that you have an offer from Cranfield.
Is there anything I can help you with? Information about the course or life here in general?

Cranfield's School of Management is well known and highly regarded amongst management and business education.
You can read more on our blogs, most of which are written by students on the course themselves:
https://blogs.cranfield.ac.uk/category/leadership-management/strategicmarketing

If you have any questions please ask :smile:

Katherine
Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending