The Student Room Group

Using iPads to make notes at uni

Hey,

How do students take notes at uni? Is it easier to use an iPad, write on paper, use a laptop etc? Which style do you think is more convenient?

(For an aerospace engineering student)
Hi!
I have an IPad Pro and a MacBook

Depending on what I am doing (how big the desk space is also) I find using the iPad way easier to make notes on as it’s smaller and I can use my Apple Pencil to make notes aswell as type.

Formatting takes a while on the iPad but for note taking its great, light and portable! (There are loads of apps you can use like EverNote and the Microsoft word app too if you have a student acc that lets you use it).

MacBooks or laptops are great for formatting and researching. I normally use my MacBook when working at a solid desk or tackling lots of formatting jobs.

Hope this helps :smile:
(Id recxomened an iPad as it’ll most likely be half the cost of a MacBook)
Reply 2
Typing and recording I use my Macbook (it has my audio notetaker DSA software on it), but for stuff where I need to draw diagrams, or phonetic transcription I use my iPad and apple pencil. Then eventually I type it all up and put the handwritten stuff in as well as an import into Notion, with anything like embedded videos in there as well.
Original post by kuponut
Typing and recording I use my Macbook (it has my audio notetaker DSA software on it), but for stuff where I need to draw diagrams, or phonetic transcription I use my iPad and apple pencil. Then eventually I type it all up and put the handwritten stuff in as well as an import into Notion, with anything like embedded videos in there as well.

Audio Notetaker is fantastic! (From a fellow DSA student here!)
Good idea! I was genuinely thinking about getting one but already have a MacBook Pro, iPad and laptop! (I studied theatre tech hence all the technology!)
Original post by Voss.gloss20
Hey,

How do students take notes at uni? Is it easier to use an iPad, write on paper, use a laptop etc? Which style do you think is more convenient?

Hi @Voss.gloss20!

I use my laptop to take notes and sometimes bring paper but I find it hard to keep up with the lecturer if I'm hand writing notes so I prefer typing. I presume your subject however requires a lot of maths/equations etc so you might benefit from a tablet where you can free hand some things and then get a key board for when you need to type. My best friend does maths and this is what she does and it seems really convent for her but for my course (Digital Marketing) I really wouldn't benefit from that. I definitely think you should look into a laptop or tablet.

Erin - Official Student Rep :smile:
Original post by ClaudiaVan
Hi!
I have an IPad Pro and a MacBook

Depending on what I am doing (how big the desk space is also) I find using the iPad way easier to make notes on as it’s smaller and I can use my Apple Pencil to make notes aswell as type.

Formatting takes a while on the iPad but for note taking its great, light and portable! (There are loads of apps you can use like EverNote and the Microsoft word app too if you have a student acc that lets you use it).

MacBooks or laptops are great for formatting and researching. I normally use my MacBook when working at a solid desk or tackling lots of formatting jobs.

Hope this helps :smile:
(Id recxomened an iPad as it’ll most likely be half the cost of a MacBook)

Oh right. Thanks for your response! ☺️
Original post by kuponut

Thanks for your response. Do you hand write anything? Also, do you record all your lectures etc or does your uni put it online? ☺️
That’s a good point! Which do you prefer to use?
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hi @Voss.gloss20!

I use my laptop to take notes and sometimes bring paper but I find it hard to keep up with the lecturer if I'm hand writing notes so I prefer typing. I presume your subject however requires a lot of maths/equations etc so you might benefit from a tablet where you can free hand some things and then get a key board for when you need to type. My best friend does maths and this is what she does and it seems really convent for her but for my course (Digital Marketing) I really wouldn't benefit from that. I definitely think you should look into a laptop or tablet.

Erin - Official Student Rep :smile:

Thanks for your response Erin! I’ll have a look into which tablet may be good to use. 😊
Thanks for your response. Sounds like a really good laptop, worth investing into. :h:
Original post by Voss.gloss20
Hey,

Hi @Voss.gloss20,

I've defo seen a lot of people write their notes on an iPad. However, in my experience, I have found I find it much quicker to type the notes on my laptop rather than on an iPad. I also find that I cannot keep up with the lecturer if I handwrite my lecture notes. However, I personally do handwrite organic chemistry and I would think it might be applicable there. I think it depends hugely on your subject. For example, one of my friends does maths and he does find it useful to have an iPad instead to write his notes and solve his problems.

Hope this helps!
From,

Amina - Student Ambassador
Original post by UniofReading
Hi @Voss.gloss20,

I've defo seen a lot of people write their notes on an iPad. However, in my experience, I have found I find it much quicker to type the notes on my laptop rather than on an iPad. I also find that I cannot keep up with the lecturer if I handwrite my lecture notes. However, I personally do handwrite organic chemistry and I would think it might be applicable there. I think it depends hugely on your subject. For example, one of my friends does maths and he does find it useful to have an iPad instead to write his notes and solve his problems.

Hope this helps!
From,

Amina - Student Ambassador

Hi Amina,

Thanks for your response! I think I’ll wait and see whether my course (aerospace engineering) is more calculation or content based and go from there then☺️

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending