The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I reckon it’s possible. Take a look on Evan Halshaw website for reasonable price benchmarking.
Reply 2
Original post by Zarek
I reckon it’s possible. Take a look on Evan Halshaw website for reasonable price benchmarking.

cool, any other cars come to mind? was looking at a 1.6 petrol 1 series but the reliability is a bit off putting
Reply 3
Original post by KyleH123
cool, any other cars come to mind? was looking at a 1.6 petrol 1 series but the reliability is a bit off putting

I like VW, Audi A3, Honda Civic. too. Ford are excellent value if a bit lacking in style. This said I went for a Mondeo because of the price and am really pleased with it. You can buy extra warranty with Evan Halshaw.
(edited 3 years ago)
You dont need a 10k car.. waste of money
Reply 5
Original post by ThuggerThugger
You dont need a 10k car.. waste of money

okay, what would you suggest?
Reply 6
okay, what would you suggest?

A 10k car isnt exactly ludicrous? He sound like a jealous broke boy to me 😁
Preferred:

-1.4-1.6 petrol - something with a bit of oomph but not horrible on fuel

- manual

-5 door + 5 seats, something spacious that i could carry friends around with comfortably

-year of reg: 2015+

-Mileage <30k

-something reliable

- body = hatchback

looking at a 2015 1.4 VW golf match, thoughts?

budget 10k

Budget for these specs - you can get a nice golf for 6/7k - however, obvs the more u are willing to spend the newer ur car will be
Reply 8
Original post by Estiyuu

i thought 10k wasn't too bad, especially if i wanted something relatively new :biggrin:
Original post by Bckbnkvbjgg
Budget for these specs - you can get a nice golf for 6/7k - however, obvs the more u are willing to spend the newer ur car will be

alright, what model/year would you suggest?
alright, what model/year would you suggest?

VW Golf MK5/6
Volvo V40?
Reliable, it's based on a Focus, but the interior is more plush and it's more refined.
If you're gonna spend 10k you'd want a nice car, personally I wouldn't spend 10k on an ordinary hatchback.
You're better off getting a £3k Fiesta or Polo from 2008 ish if you want to go down that route, and save the rest for a better car after a year or so.
Original post by Estiyuu

It is ludicrous, for anyone that isn't a multi-millionaire.

When you can buy good cars for £1000.
It's not about jealousy, it's about giving good sound advice.

Check out the Car Throttle youtube channel and look at the interesting cars they buy for peanuts.
Mmm…
Pushing it a bit
Our car was £30000 and it was one the cheap side!
I still think it’s possible though.
Good luck. :smile:
Reply 13
I had a Toyota Yaris. If you need to travel not only around the city, then you can buy some midsize suv. It will be quite practical. With such a machine, you can overcome a small off-road and calmly move around the city. Also you can carry a large number of things. This is a small amount, but you can still choose a decent car. If I were you, I would look for something simple and reliable. In the secondary market you can find a good car for a small price. Sometimes people just want to sell faster cars.
Reply 14
Preferred:

-1.4-1.6 petrol - something with a bit of oomph but not horrible on fuel

- manual

-5 door + 5 seats, something spacious that i could carry friends around with comfortably

-year of reg: 2015+

-Mileage <30k

-something reliable

- body = hatchback

looking at a 2015 1.4 VW golf match, thoughts?

budget 10k

Mk7 Golf (as you've been looking at) is a good shout. Plenty of upgradability too spec wise.
Reply 15
Original post by IWMTom
Mk7 Golf (as you've been looking at) is a good shout. Plenty of upgradability too spec wise.

What sort of upgrades would you consider? :smile:

Original post by Cawes
I had a Toyota Yaris. If you need to travel not only around the city, then you can buy some midsize suv. It will be quite practical. With such a machine, you can overcome a small off-road and calmly move around the city. Also you can carry a large number of things. This is a small amount, but you can still choose a decent car. If I were you, I would look for something simple and reliable. In the secondary market you can find a good car for a small price. Sometimes people just want to sell faster cars.

I did look into Honda and Toyota cars and liked the 2018 civic but i just did not want a 1.0 petrol and that was all that was within my budget. Toyota just seemed a bit boring to me personally.

Original post by LTEcactus
Volvo V40?
Reliable, it's based on a Focus, but the interior is more plush and it's more refined.
If you're gonna spend 10k you'd want a nice car, personally I wouldn't spend 10k on an ordinary hatchback.
You're better off getting a £3k Fiesta or Polo from 2008 ish if you want to go down that route, and save the rest for a better car after a year or so.

okay, what sort of car would you save for?
Reply 16
Original post by Dunnig Kruger
It is ludicrous, for anyone that isn't a multi-millionaire.

When you can buy good cars for £1000.
It's not about jealousy, it's about giving good sound advice.

Check out the Car Throttle youtube channel and look at the interesting cars they buy for peanuts.

I really like Car Throttle, but their channel also highlighted to me how some problems with a car can go undetected in the buying process
Reply 17
What sort of upgrades would you consider? :smile:

You can upgrade the infotainment unit to a 9.2 inch glass screen that supports Android Auto and Apple CarPlay - it's much more responsive than what comes in the older Mk7's.

You can add Active Info Display (virtual cockpit) which will show you maps on the dash - it's pretty cool.

Reversing camera, lane assist, traffic sign recognition, automatic main beam, blind spot monitor, automatic parallel/bay parking, and that's just the start......

Latest

Trending

Trending