The Student Room Group

GCSE and Yr 9 students - how do you study?

Hi guys!!

I'm an Imperial College London medical student and if there are any year 9 or GCSE students out there, I was just wondering what sort of resources you use to study?

And what you like or dislike about them!

Scroll to see replies

Hi, I’m at the end of year 10 preparing for my IGCSE’s right now. I usually use One note to make active recall notes, so I basically read the topic and try to understand it and then write up what I know on One note. Anything I didn’t know is highlighted in red (as my weak points) and I set myself questions my own questions at the end of the topic. I also use Quizlet for flashcards which I make out of the questions I made.

Hope this helps 😁
Alsooo, the resources I use:

. Quizlet
. OneNote (I’m switching to notability)
. Savemyexams.com (VERY good website, I paid for the members account and it’s definitely worth it)
. School textbooks

I would say schools textbooks I don’t like very much but definitely check out savemyexams it’s amazing!!😀
Original post by zain SHarif
Alsooo, the resources I use:

. Quizlet
. OneNote (I’m switching to notability)
. Savemyexams.com (VERY good website, I paid for the members account and it’s definitely worth it)
. School textbooks

I would say schools textbooks I don’t like very much but definitely check out savemyexams it’s amazing!!😀

Heyy, thank you so much for this!! I just had a couple more questions if you don't mind answering? :smile:

What do you like and dislike about using quizlet and oneNote?
What makes savemyexams.com so great and amazing? haha, just want to find out why you like it so much :biggrin:
And lastly, what don't you like about textbooks?

Also, let me know if you have any questions for me and good luck with your iGCSEs!
If you want a lot of answers reddit is a good source of information
Original post by Identity_1
If you want a lot of answers reddit is a good source of information

Thank you :smile:
Original post by Smart-Le
Thank you :smile:

no problem ask on r/GCSE if you ask they will link you to other UK subreddits which revise GCSE topics.
Original post by Identity_1
no problem ask on r/GCSE if you ask they will link you to other UK subreddits which revise GCSE topics.

Oh wow, okay. Genuinely thanks, I didn't know you had to post to an account haha
Oh wow, okay. Genuinely thanks, I didn't know you had to post to an account haha

no problem good luck!
Heyy, thank you so much for this!! I just had a couple more questions if you don't mind answering? :smile:

What do you like and dislike about using quizlet and oneNote?
What makes savemyexams.com so great and amazing? haha, just want to find out why you like it so much :biggrin:
And lastly, what don't you like about textbooks?

Also, let me know if you have any questions for me and good luck with your iGCSEs!

Hi,

Many thanks

I think the problem with OneNote is that it is a little bit difficult to use, and sometimes once I’ve completed notes It doesn’t save the work properly and when I come back to it, some of the work is missing. Otherwise it is a great note taking app that has all the functions you will need for note taking...

Quizlet I think has no problem to be honest apart from the dread of having to make the notes 😂. But I think it has a very user friendly interface compared to other flash card apps like Anki

Finally, the best for last!! Savemyexams is AMAZING. For your GCSE/IGCSE it has notes from all of the subjects and includes EVERYTHING you need to know for your exams by using the specification points. It also has Question papers and past papers for your exams which are designed like the new syllabus difficult type questions, (my school even used to take some to the questions out from there and make the progress test from those!XD)

Finally, I find Textbooks quite boring to be honest. Yes they contain the information but i find it the worst way to learn as you just read the pages and the info is supposed to magically enter your mind, there is no active recall involved, your brain is just reading and not engaging....

Hope this helps!

Let me know if you have anymore queries!
Original post by zain SHarif
Hi,

Many thanks

I think the problem with OneNote is that it is a little bit difficult to use, and sometimes once I’ve completed notes It doesn’t save the work properly and when I come back to it, some of the work is missing. Otherwise it is a great note taking app that has all the functions you will need for note taking...

Quizlet I think has no problem to be honest apart from the dread of having to make the notes 😂. But I think it has a very user friendly interface compared to other flash card apps like Anki

Finally, the best for last!! Savemyexams is AMAZING. For your GCSE/IGCSE it has notes from all of the subjects and includes EVERYTHING you need to know for your exams by using the specification points. It also has Question papers and past papers for your exams which are designed like the new syllabus difficult type questions, (my school even used to take some to the questions out from there and make the progress test from those!XD)

Finally, I find Textbooks quite boring to be honest. Yes they contain the information but i find it the worst way to learn as you just read the pages and the info is supposed to magically enter your mind, there is no active recall involved, your brain is just reading and not engaging....

Hope this helps!

Let me know if you have anymore queries!

This is great, thank you loads and I'll let you know if I think of anymore questions haha
I use savemyexams too.
I also use the physics and maths tutor site; these are a bit like save my exams
Generally, I think that the best way to revise is looking over the content using mind maps or flashcards and then testing yourself of getting someone else to test you.
It helps revision a lot if you make good notes whilst your'e learning the content in school.
Original post by kingaharuna
I use savemyexams too.
I also use the physics and maths tutor site; these are a bit like save my exams
Generally, I think that the best way to revise is looking over the content using mind maps or flashcards and then testing yourself of getting someone else to test you.
It helps revision a lot if you make good notes whilst your'e learning the content in school.

Thank you! Is there anything you don't like about mind maps and flashcards? and also, do you make these physically or use an online platform?

I completely agree with your last point!
Thank you! Is there anything you don't like about mind maps and flashcards? and also, do you make these physically or use an online platform?

I completely agree with your last point!

With mind maps, it becomes difficult when you are studying a topic with a lot of information- they can become to big if you’re not able to structure well and pick the right keywords. This can also make them quite time consuming to actually make.
I think the only disadvantage of using flashcards is the limited amount of information you can put on each on (depending on their size of course)

Ultimately though, they're both quite useful and have a lot of advantages. I think they're probably best for making more succinct notes rather than in depth ones.

I tend to make them physically, but I also use quizlet from time to time.
Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by kingaharuna
With mind maps, it becomes difficult when you are studying a topic with a lot of information- they can become to big if you’re not able to structure well and pick the right keywords. This can also make them quite time consuming to actually make.
I think the only disadvantage of using flashcards is the limited amount of information you can put on each on (depending on their size of course)

Ultimately though, they're both quite useful and have a lot of advantages. I think they're probably best for making more succinct notes rather than in depth ones.

I tend to make them physically, but I also use quizlet from time to time.
Hope this helps :smile:

This is great, thank you!
I personally prefer methods where presentation isn't such a big factor(so not neat mind maps and notes because my handwriting is rubbish)I just do practice questions mostly. GCSEpod and MathsWatch are good sources of information as well. They explain topics clearly and they make the content easily understandable. The videos are also short which is good, because if they were long, I would get distracted halfway through.
Original post by KelsieTaylor
I personally prefer methods where presentation isn't such a big factor(so not neat mind maps and notes because my handwriting is rubbish)I just do practice questions mostly. GCSEpod and MathsWatch are good sources of information as well. They explain topics clearly and they make the content easily understandable. The videos are also short which is good, because if they were long, I would get distracted halfway through.

Thank you, this quite useful. What would you count as a long video?
Thank you, this quite useful. What would you count as a long video?

Like, maybe over 10-15 minutes. I wouldn't be able to sit through 30 minutes of explaining a topic, but I would be more keen if it were split into 10 minute chunks, if that makes sense.
Original post by KelsieTaylor
Like, maybe over 10-15 minutes. I wouldn't be able to sit through 30 minutes of explaining a topic, but I would be more keen if it were split into 10 minute chunks, if that makes sense.

Yeah that does, thank you so much!
I regretted revising late so don’t revise last minute!!!!😭 anyway...
Look at the content and topics you need to learn and day by day do at leased do one page at each subject,,, knock a whole page down to one flash card or two. And be organised with your work so you can revise from those flash cards...that could be for any subject but for English I would use Cornell notes...it’s an effective way of revising it (my teacher taught me it you can google it to find out) it just helps to organise all the content and is psychology proven to help your brain remember the content easily.

I hope that made sense and wasn’t too much to handle😅

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending