The Student Room Group

Civil Service Fast Stream 19/20: Placed on the Reserve List

A thread for all those who were suddenly placed on the reserve list recently; we can post if anyone hears anything back from the departments , gets a posting (!) or organise to file complaints

If people wanted to post when they got their job offer etc, it could be helpful to try and map what happened?

I am on the GES Stream, passed my EAC in mid April, submitted my location preferences mid-May and found of yesterday I was on the reserve list
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Also on GES fast stream and also had EAC in April with preferences submitted in May. Let's hope we get allocated somewhere soon! Would be interested to know how people interpreted the email-do you think we're guaranteed a role still?
Reply 2
Original post by zaynaraja
A thread for all those who were suddenly placed on the reserve list recently; we can post if anyone hears anything back from the departments , gets a posting (!) or organise to file complaints

If people wanted to post when they got their job offer etc, it could be helpful to try and map what happened?

I am on the GES Stream, passed my EAC in mid April, submitted my location preferences mid-May and found of yesterday I was on the reserve list

Thanks for starting this thread - I'm in a similar boat to you in terms of timescales.
Reply 3
Hi everyone, I'm on GSR did my AC in February and final selection in March where I got offered a role. I was placed on a reserve list 2 weeks ago - start of July. My reserve list doesn't have an expiry.
Hi all. I'm also GES fast stream. Did my EAC in mid April, and submitted preferences mid May. I got the email yesterday about being put on the reserve list.

Does anyone think that our preference choices might be part of the reason why we have been put on the reserve list, in addition to us seemingly being the last few people to pass?
Reply 5
Hi all! I am on GSR and was given a provisional offer in March, passed my pre employment checks and got told to submit my location preferences in April. I was then put on the reserve list at the start of July.
Reply 6
Original post by Slaaaamin
Hi all. I'm also GES fast stream. Did my EAC in mid April, and submitted preferences mid May. I got the email yesterday about being put on the reserve list.

Does anyone think that our preference choices might be part of the reason why we have been put on the reserve list, in addition to us seemingly being the last few people to pass?

hmmm interesting question re the preference choices. I'm not sure if they would have had an impact as at every stage it was made clear that we would probably not get our choices. That's pure conjecture though!

I'm curious about timelines too-i have two friends who went to the same EAC and passed at the same time, one was placed and the other was put on the reserve list; granted the one who got a place is currently studying for a masters so that probably made a difference?
hmmm interesting question re the preference choices. I'm not sure if they would have had an impact as at every stage it was made clear that we would probably not get our choices. That's pure conjecture though!

I'm curious about timelines too-i have two friends who went to the same EAC and passed at the same time, one was placed and the other was put on the reserve list; granted the one who got a place is currently studying for a masters so that probably made a difference?

That is true about preferences. I was just wondering because it seemed like a few of the people who were waiting to hear back (including myself) had put DfID as their first choice.

I don't know if having a masters degree makes a difference though, as I have one and still got placed on the reserve list. Obviously this is only anecdotal evidence, but it might be reassuring for anyone without a masters.

Had the friend who didn't get put on the reserve list already had their department allocation?
Reply 9
Hi guys, I’m on GES mainstream but was recently put on the reserve list after accepting provisional offer two weeks earlier. Interesting but unfortunate to see that those on the fast stream are also in the same position.

My initial thought was that they allocated people two departments on a FCFS basis for the mainstream but seeing that fast streamers who completed their EAC’s earlier this year does indicate that it’s actually done based on merit.

I want to hope that they have made an initial reduction to their intake for this year due to the impacts of the pandemic but they gradually employ everyone that’s on the reserve list.

Surely if anything, now would be a good time to employ economists.
Not in the same position as yourselves, however, I am on the direct appointment scheme, having failed at the FSAC. Seems bizarre that DAS places are being offered when those who passed the FSAC, FSB etc. are having their places taken. Obviously, they’re all for different roles and jobs, with different requirements but it still doesn’t seem right with me.
Original post by Slaaaamin
That is true about preferences. I was just wondering because it seemed like a few of the people who were waiting to hear back (including myself) had put DfID as their first choice.

I don't know if having a masters degree makes a difference though, as I have one and still got placed on the reserve list. Obviously this is only anecdotal evidence, but it might be reassuring for anyone without a masters.

I had DfID as my first choice too and am currently finishing up my masters.
Reply 12
Yeah same here. Although I had HMRC and DWP as top preferences for departments, and London and Manchester (I.e. biggest) locations. So yeah, seems more to be a timing issue..(Although yeah, DFID is particularly precarious at the minute)

I also received this email (I'm also on the GES stream) and it was a bit of a bummer if I'm honest because I had already told my whole family that I had 'got a job' and made plans with my partner to move away together.

I'm just so unclear on what the waiting list means. If I wait, am I guaranteed a placement at some point? Is it just a potential placement? What are the chances? Would be interested to hear other's experiences and thoughts!
Reply 14
Does any of you have an idea whether this HEO lvl job is eligible for a Tier 2 sponsorship?
Original post by RosserVital
I also received this email (I'm also on the GES stream) and it was a bit of a bummer if I'm honest because I had already told my whole family that I had 'got a job' and made plans with my partner to move away together.

I'm just so unclear on what the waiting list means. If I wait, am I guaranteed a placement at some point? Is it just a potential placement? What are the chances? Would be interested to hear other's experiences and thoughts!

I agree it's been such a bummer, have felt really down about it since the email. Although, To me it reads as if we will still have a job. The email I got said that they will contact us when a position arises (Not 'if'), and it seems like a big waste of money for us to go through all of that for nothing. Equally who knows by this point?
Hi - yes I'm in a similar position! Accepted in mid April and submitted preferences mid May for fast stream. I think it's pretty bad of the civil service to previously suggest that we were all going to be starting in September and then roll back on that. I turned down another good job offer because I thought I would be starting in September/October latest. I now have another job offer but not sure what to do given this reserve list - who knows how long we're going to be on it? Left very disappointed - hopefully they'll sort out this mess soon !
I had been allocated to a department at the beginning of June, but due to some problems they couldn't take me in and asked the GES to reallocate me to a department that could accommodate my situation. Then I received the reserve list email this morning. I went from having a job at the department of my dreams to probably filing for unemployment come September. It's a joke and I'm absolutely fuming. Especially since you just can't get a hold of anyone at GES to obtain any information.
Original post by hcwsf123
I had been allocated to a department at the beginning of June, but due to some problems they couldn't take me in and asked the GES to reallocate me to a department that could accommodate my situation. Then I received the reserve list email this morning. I went from having a job at the department of my dreams to probably filing for unemployment come September. It's a joke and I'm absolutely fuming. Especially since you just can't get a hold of anyone at GES to obtain any information.

I’m so sorry to hear this! Do you mind me asking what your overall score is for your application?
Also, when was your interview?
Original post by Chrisem99
I’m so sorry to hear this! Do you mind me asking what your overall score is for your application?
Also, when was your interview?

I tried to check my scores for you there but the website seems to be down! Can't honestly remember. My EAC was in mid-April (first batch I think).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending