The Student Room Group

Switching from Econ & Psychology to study Medicine

Hi. I’m currently taking Econ & Psychology at a competitive university in the U.K.

Whilst attending uni, I am starting to gravitate towards wanting to study medicine.

I have not taken A level Biology and Chemistry at school. However in the US, they encourage non-traditional applicants to apply.

How difficult is it to change? Are there any unis in the U.K. that allow non-traditional applicants to change to study Medicine like the US?
Original post by RedRobe
Hi. I’m currently taking Econ & Psychology at a competitive university in the U.K.

Whilst attending uni, I am starting to gravitate towards wanting to study medicine.

I have not taken A level Biology and Chemistry at school. However in the US, they encourage non-traditional applicants to apply.

How difficult is it to change? Are there any unis in the U.K. that allow non-traditional applicants to change to study Medicine like the US?

You can't change i.e. transfer from where you are now directly into a medical degree.

You can apply for graduate entry medicine however (you will need to complete your degree in order to be eligible). More info here:

https://www.themedicportal.com/application-guide/graduate-entry-medicine/

https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2701/msc-entry-requirements-for-uk-medical-schools-2021.pdf

There are a lot of requirements including work experience, volunteering, and entrance exams. Have a read of the above and let us know if you have any questions.
Original post by RedRobe

I am guessing you are at St Andrews?
Graduate entry.
Original post by RedRobe

Due to the high competition for limited spaces in UK medical degrees, it is unlikely that you can switch. Moreover, in order to apply to all uk medical schools (with the exception of the Buckingham) you need to sit an entrance exam, either the UCAT or BMAT (or GAMSAT for grads). You could however apply for graduate entry medicine, you would need to get at least a 2.1 in your undergrad to apply to most of these courses and again you would need to sit either the UCAT, BMAT, or GAMSAT, depending upon what universities you apply to.

Very best of luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending