The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Computer science - The right course for me?

Hey,

I was wondering if this course is the right one for me (Computer science with one year of industry). I want to know if i am able to study things like AI for game / Graphic design / 3D modeling and so on.. Things related to games and all.

Thanks!
wouldn’t it be more suitable to do a games design degree?
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Libbyc16
wouldn’t it be more suitable to do a games design degree?

Good unis dont have this course.. But for exemple at UCL and Manchester they have some modules for this.
Original post by stefan26
Hey,

I was wondering if this course is the right one for me (Computer science with one year of industry). I want to know if i am able to study things like AI for game / Graphic design / 3D modeling and so on.. Things related to games and all.

Thanks!

Hi there!

Sorry for the late reply! I'm going to be in my last year studying CompSci (MSci course) at Lancaster this upcoming year. As far as game design is concerned you would want to go on Computer Science with Design course really. There is game design elements in the base CompSci degree but it's mainly confined to a 2d Java game group project in your second year as well as some game design and unity in a 4th year module. You can choose to do your third year project making a game or AI for a game which was a choice for this year, but that's not guaranteed as project choices usually change each year. If you choose to do CompSci with design you will learn more concepts of game design as well as delve into OpenGL development. If you have any other questions about the degree feel free to ask.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by nlChandler
Hi there!

Sorry for the late reply! I'm going to be in my last year studying CompSci (MSci course) at Lancaster this upcoming year. As far as game design is concerned you would want to go on Computer Science with Design course really. There is game design elements in the base CompSci degree but it's mainly confined to a 2d Java game group project in your second year as well as some game design and unity in a 4th year module. You can choose to do your third year project making a game or AI for a game which was a choice for this year, but that's not guaranteed as project choices usually change each year. If you choose to do CompSci with design you will learn more concepts of game design as well as delve into OpenGL development. If you have any other questions about the degree feel free to ask.

I dont think Lancaster has this course any more.. Thanks a lot for the response tho!!
Original post by stefan26
I dont think Lancaster has this course any more.. Thanks a lot for the response tho!!

Oh yeah I see it's no longer on the site, they must have ended it this year. But as others have said you can do specific game design courses at other unis, this degree will give you the transferable skills however for it outside needing to learn OpenGL or vulkan independently. I would just consider employability though with a game design degree compared to a computer science one, as with CompSci you have a range of fields you can go into if you find you don't have as much passion for game design. That said if you really are passionate for making games, go for it!
Reply 6
I've just finished doing Software Engineering (which had a common first year with Computer Science). And I'd say unfortunately we covered very little of those 3 areas, in terms of graphic design it ranged from minimal to 0. In third year there is an AI module which is optional but I took and reasonably enjoyed, it wasn't particularly applied to games though but still probably useful. It was unique (at least in the modules I took) in that a significant part of the coursework was made up of writing an essay- all the other modules all the coursework marks came from programming. We did to a very small amount of 3D modeling as part of our final year project, but it was a very small amount - I did it all in my group and it took less then a week.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending