The Student Room Group

what car should i get?

I am 19 years old guy and I've got 20k in savings, mostly from inheritance. I want to spend 10k on a car but I am not sure which one to buy. I particularly like BMW's but I like Audis too. Any recommendations?

Scroll to see replies

Get a horse, no insurance, no traffic, no petrol.
Original post by Official-Rep
Get a horse, no insurance, no traffic, no petrol.

You still have to feed it and look after it. 😂
Reply 4
I would suggest you use your savings to buy a deposit for a house or for investments. You don’t need a flashy car at your age. Buy something second hand and invest in a better car when you’re older and the time comes.
Original post by 5hyl33n
You still have to feed it and look after it. 😂

And pay pet insurance, farrier, livery costs etc... :redface:
Take a 0 off your purchase price.

Buy a car for £1k or less.

The insurance will be £1k to £2k per year. And then there's the road tax, fuel costs, servicing, repairs, tyre costs, parking costs. Buy a car for £10k and you'll burn through your £20k in 3 years.
Buy a car for £1k and it will take 5 to 6 years to burn through your £20k.
Original post by Dunnig Kruger
Take a 0 off your purchase price.

Buy a car for £1k or less.

The insurance will be £1k to £2k per year. And then there's the road tax, fuel costs, servicing, repairs, tyre costs, parking costs. Buy a car for £10k and you'll burn through your £20k in 3 years.
Buy a car for £1k and it will take 5 to 6 years to burn through your £20k.

Yes I know that it will be expensive but I want a nice car that will impress girls! I've also got a part time job so I'm still earning money.
Reply 8
well its your choice pick the one you like the most it would be better to buy BMW
I have a corsa 1.0 and it’s been everywhere and cost me barely anything, first year insurance was £1,100 for year and £30 tax and just had renewal and now it’s £550 for year (black box) and cant really complain as it’s been a good car but I’m upgrading to something more powerful and better to look at etc like an Audi.

Definitely start with a 1.0 for costs but good luck :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Lamborghini urus
Original post by metallic67
I am 19 years old guy and I've got 20k in savings, mostly from inheritance. I want to spend 10k on a car but I am not sure which one to buy. I particularly like BMW's but I like Audis too. Any recommendations?

Audi A1 s line (white with black roof POPS) if u wanna spend the full 10k
I currently have an Audi a1 which is 2011 plate and I love it, but if i was gonna get a newer car as in 2017+ I’d either get a polo, golf or ibiza

I'm a petrol head - I commute in a McLaren. Please start with a small, cheap, and slow, hatchback, if you really need a car. It will improve your driving.

This lump sum could give you a lot of flexibility in the future, if you keep as much of it as possible now. If you spend £10k on a car now, plus insurance, repairs etc, you will burn through it all too quickly.

You would be far better off keeping it for a home deposit.

You will buy a car that just depreciates and costs a fortune to insure at you age, been there and done that.
Original post by RogerOxon
I'm a petrol head - I commute in a McLaren. Please start with a small, cheap, and slow, hatchback, if you really need a car. It will improve your driving.

This lump sum could give you a lot of flexibility in the future, if you keep as much of it as possible now. If you spend £10k on a car now, plus insurance, repairs etc, you will burn through it all too quickly.

your not a petrolhead if you commute in a mclaren, your just rich
Original post by zizaabmissan
your not a petrolhead if you commute in a mclaren, your just rich

Guilty on only one of those. I also own a 928GTS, and two boring cars, on which I do all my own repairs and maintenance.
Original post by RogerOxon
Guilty on only one of those. I also own a 928GTS, and two boring cars, on which I do all my own repairs and maintenance.

Wierd flex but ok

Get a Lexus Instead. If you don't mind the insurance, a GS350 or 2004-2006 LS430 are fun cars to try. Lexus is extremely reliable
Yes I know that it will be expensive but I want a nice car that will impress girls! I've also got a part time job so I'm still earning money.

girls really don’t care what car you have unless it is falling apart 😂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending