The Student Room Group

Manchester to Lancaster and back!!!!

Soooo my parents wanted me to commute everyday!! Its 2 hours plus 30 sometimes and sometimes, i read, its 7 hours?? Idk if tahts accurate. I want to get accomodation. What do i do? Shoulf i commute? But it doesnt make any sense! If my lesson is at 8 lets say i have to get up at least 3 hrs earlier! At 5 am?? No idea. Y am i even confused i just think its so obvs to get accommodation. Just want opinions.
Original post by Anonymous
Soooo my parents wanted me to commute everyday!! Its 2 hours plus 30 sometimes and sometimes, i read, its 7 hours?? Idk if tahts accurate. I want to get accomodation. What do i do? Shoulf i commute? But it doesnt make any sense! If my lesson is at 8 lets say i have to get up at least 3 hrs earlier! At 5 am?? No idea. Y am i even confused i just think its so obvs to get accommodation. Just want opinions.

What reasons are your parents giving for wanting you to commute? It's not very practical, and your studies will inevitably suffer for it.

Are you able to afford accommodation just with your loan? If your parents would have to contribute to it, they may use that as an excuse to stop you.
Reply 2
Plenty of people make this commute to Manchester. I know one person who did it for three years and one person who works for the uni who does it four days a week. I think you might be exaggerating the commute slightly.
Reply 3
And if I understand correctly, Manchester is going online anyway this year so there won’t be many days where you’ll be obliged to go in at all.
I know Northern Rail have a poor reputation, but it was only just over an hour when I checked from Manchester Victoria.
Reply 5
Original post by PhoenixFortune
What reasons are your parents giving for wanting you to commute? It's not very practical, and your studies will inevitably suffer for it.

Are you able to afford accommodation just with your loan? If your parents would have to contribute to it, they may use that as an excuse to stop you.

They just don't like the idea of getting accommodation
Reply 6
Original post by barnetlad
I know Northern Rail have a poor reputation, but it was only just over an hour when I checked from Manchester Victoria.

Yes sometimes it is. But a lot of times i checked it was around 2 hrs
Reply 7
Original post by giella
Plenty of people make this commute to Manchester. I know one person who did it for three years and one person who works for the uni who does it four days a week. I think you might be exaggerating the commute slightly.

Ohh thats cool. I might commute then. If it isnt more expensive than accommodation
Im a parent and my daughter is going this year. Its 2 and a half hours drive away and I dont think its good to commute those type of hours every day and work and study, it would be too much and the rail fare would be horrendous.
Have you spoken to your parents as to why they think you shouldnt have accommodation? Maybe they think its a waste of money. it wouldnt be since the loan you repay back would be a small percentage any way, and the experience you would get too going out with friends etc. Maybe they fear the empty nest syndrome? As a parent I know thats my fear too, but I know this is going to be such an enriching experience for her so its worth it :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Ghostlady
Im a parent and my daughter is going this year. Its 2 and a half hours drive away and I dont think its good to commute those type of hours every day and work and study, it would be too much and the rail fare would be horrendous.
Have you spoken to your parents as to why they think you shouldnt have accommodation? Maybe they think its a waste of money. it wouldnt be since the loan you repay back would be a small percentage any way, and the experience you would get too going out with friends etc. Maybe they fear the empty nest syndrome? As a parent I know thats my fear too, but I know this is going to be such an enriching experience for her so its worth it :smile:

Yes theyre not too keen on the rent and the loans. I think theyre just not too happy about me moving away in general. And i think i will use the points youve made to persuade them
Yes theyre not too keen on the rent and the loans. I think theyre just not too happy about me moving away in general. And i think i will use the points youve made to persuade them

Try this: https://www.student-loan-calculator.co.uk/

Say you did 3 year course (on say 15k a year including tuition fees + accommodation combined totalling 45k) and you earned less than £26575 or less you do not pay back anything. Anything above that is 9% on the difference.If you earn £30,000 you will pay 9% of £3,425 difference. You pay this for 30 years then payments will stop.

If your parents are high earners, you would get less maintenance loan therefore you have 3 options. You can either have your parents pay for the difference on your outgoings, or get a part time job to fund that difference, or have a mixture of both parents and job.

It is sad for a parent or carer to have their loved one move out, of course it is. I know i'm going to feel it. But this will be enriching for you, and not only that, having that independence stands you in good stead for getting your own place one day and dealing with bills, budgeting, and looking after the house, and yourself. I would go with the approach for trying this for a year to your parents to see how it goes. if you feel halls has given you more confidence to go on to second year accommodation with friends, then great. If its not working out and you feel you could do better at home for second year, then do that. Also if (you have not done so already) you start doing things for yourself now, ironing, washing, cooking for yourself and even doing a budget now working how much this all costs, your parents will have more faith in you handling this and be more confident :smile:
And lancasters accommodation is great. Its got the porters and security and a good community feel. Are you starting this year or are you applying for next year? if its this year, id get your skates on with the student finance application.
And wouldnt it cost more for railfare than accommodation too? definitely work all these things out.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Ghostlady
Try this: https://www.student-loan-calculator.co.uk/

Say you did 3 year course (on say 15k a year including tuition fees + accommodation combined totalling 45k) and you earned less than £26575 or less you do not pay back anything. Anything above that is 9% on the difference.If you earn £30,000 you will pay 9% of £3,425 difference. You pay this for 30 years then payments will stop.

If your parents are high earners, you would get less maintenance loan therefore you have 3 options. You can either have your parents pay for the difference on your outgoings, or get a part time job to fund that difference, or have a mixture of both parents and job.

It is sad for a parent or carer to have their loved one move out, of course it is. I know i'm going to feel it. But this will be enriching for you, and not only that, having that independence stands you in good stead for getting your own place one day and dealing with bills, budgeting, and looking after the house, and yourself. I would go with the approach for trying this for a year to your parents to see how it goes. if you feel halls has given you more confidence to go on to second year accommodation with friends, then great. If its not working out and you feel you could do better at home for second year, then do that. Also if (you have not done so already) you start doing things for yourself now, ironing, washing, cooking for yourself and even doing a budget now working how much this all costs, your parents will have more faith in you handling this and be more confident :smile:
And lancasters accommodation is great. Its got the porters and security and a good community feel. Are you starting this year or are you applying for next year? if its this year, id get your skates on with the student finance application.
And wouldnt it cost more for railfare than accommodation too? definitely work all these things out.

Thank you! I will consider your advice!

Hi anon,
Normally during term time it takes 50 minutes from Manchester Oxford Road, about 60 minutes from Manchester Piccadilly on the TransPennine route (there's also a northern rail route which takes a bit longer). Then it can take anywhere between 15-30 minutes to get to campus. So I'd say 1.5 hours plus time taken to get from your house to whichever station is most convenient. I'm not sure how much this would cost but normally with a railcard you can get a return to Manchester Piccadilly the day before for under £10.
People do commute from Manchester but equally lots of people from Manchester move to campus.
It's important to remember that by moving away from home you get access to more loan than if you were to live at home.
If you need any help and advice with accommodation, let me know and I'll be happy to help.
Charlotte :smile:
3rd year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi anon,
Normally during term time it takes 50 minutes from Manchester Oxford Road, about 60 minutes from Manchester Piccadilly on the TransPennine route (there's also a northern rail route which takes a bit longer). Then it can take anywhere between 15-30 minutes to get to campus. So I'd say 1.5 hours plus time taken to get from your house to whichever station is most convenient. I'm not sure how much this would cost but normally with a railcard you can get a return to Manchester Piccadilly the day before for under £10.
People do commute from Manchester but equally lots of people from Manchester move to campus.
It's important to remember that by moving away from home you get access to more loan than if you were to live at home.
If you need any help and advice with accommodation, let me know and I'll be happy to help.
Charlotte :smile:
3rd year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine

Thank you!!!

Do you need accommodation in Manchester?
Original post by Benny123gc
Do you need accommodation in Manchester?

No i would need it in Lancaster
No i would need it in Lancaster

Let us know how you get on :smile: hopefully your parents will be understanding if you want to live at Lancaster, fingers cross for you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending