The Student Room Group

Law Clearing Data that May Help with Results Day

Know a lot of you are probably nervous over Thursday - best of luck to everyone awaiting grades.

A bit bored and figured it could be a good opportunity to help people who may have to go through clearing; know it can be quite daunting, so hopefully this may help.

I've compiled data from decent places that are in clearing this year, and tried to find some from 2018 and 2019 on those unis, to see what minimum grades they asked for through clearing, and how many received offers.

However, I would note that this year will be different. Clearing changes year on year, but with the grade uncertainty of this year, and less international students/deferrals, there may be more places available, or grade requirements may be lowered.
If you like somewhere, apply! Just because I say the lowest clearing offer was BBB in 2019, it might be different for you. If you've got DDD and want to apply to Sheffield, you'll lose nothing from ringing. Be persistent, and fingers crossed for you.

Here's the data:

Cardiff:

Standard offer of AAB-ABB; no clearing data available for 2019, and offered 10 spaces through clearing in 2018.

Worth a shot if you have BBC/BCC (or equivalent) or higher I would say.

University of East Anglia:

Standard offer of AAB (ABB with A in EPQ); only available through clearing for international students in 2019, and made 38 offers through clearing in 2018.

Edinburgh:

Standard offer of A*AA-ABB (wide disparity); not in clearing in 2018 or 2019, so no data.

Surprised to see Edinburgh in here, and may only be for international applicants. You'll also be studying Scots Law so be aware of that.

Exeter (Penryn):

Only available at the Penryn campus with Business, where the standard offer is AAB-ABB; accepted clearing offers of BCC in 2019.

Worth a shot with CCC (or equivalent) or higher.

Keele:

Standard offer of BBB-ABC; made 79 offers to 207 applicants through clearing in 2018.

Worth a shot with any grades really - you've nothing to lose.

Kent:

Standard offer of AAA-ABB; no grade data available for 2019, but had filled spaces by midnight on results day. Gave 40 offers to 200 applicants through clearing in 2018.

Worth a shot if you have BBC (or equivalent) or higher I would say.

Lancaster:

Standard offer of AAB; minimum offer of BBB through clearing in 2019, with spaces filled by 3:30pm on results day. Offered 46 spaces to 46 applicants in 2018 through clearing.

Worth a shot with BCC (or equivalent) or higher.

Leeds:

Standard offer of AAA; wasn't in clearing in either 2018 or 2019.

A strong uni to be in clearing, and will likely go quickly. If you have BBB (or equivalent) or higher, I would chance it.

Leicester:

Standard offer of ABB; minimum grades of BBB through clearing in 2019, and offered 111 spaces to 193 through clearing in 2018.

Liverpool:

Standard offer of AAA; no indication of grades, but was full by midnight on results day in 2019, and made 0 offers through clearing in 2018.

Worth a shot with BBC (or equivalent) or higher.

Manchester:

Standard offer of AAA; not in clearing in 2018 or 2019.

Another strong uni to be in clearing; worth chancing with BBB (or equivalent) or higher.

Newcastle:

Standard offer of AAA; no minimum offer through clearing in 2019 and decided on a case-by-case basis; made 9 offers to 28 applicants in 2018.

Worth chancing with BBC (or equivalent) or higher.

Queen Mary (QMUL):

Standard offer of A*AA; minimum offer of AAA through clearing in 2019, and not in clearing in 2018.

Appears on UCAS, but their website says there are no spaces through clearing. If it appears, I'd chance it with BBB (or equivalent) or higher.

Queen's University Belfast:

Standard offer of AAA; minimum offer of BBB or ABC through clearing in 2019,and made 31 offers to 37 applicants through clearing in 2018.

Reading:

Standard offer of AAB; minimum grades of BBB through clearing in 2019, and made 69 offers to 73 applicants through clearing in 2018.

Worth a shot with CCC or (equivalent) or higher.

Sheffield:

Standard offer of AAA; minimum offer of AAA through clearing in 2019, and made offers to 62 out of 581 applicants in 2018.

Worth a shot with BBB (or equivalent) or higher.

SOAS:

Standard offer of A*AA-AAB; minimum offer of BBB to BBC through clearing in 2019, and made offers to 21 out of 30 in 2018.

Big disparity between standard offer and clearing offers; worth a shot with BCC (or equivalent) off that I would say.

Southampton:

Standard offer of AAA; minimum offer of ABB through clearing in 2019, not available through clearing in 2018.

Surrey:

Standard offer of BBB; available through clearing with BCC in 2019, and was full by 10:20am on results day; made offers to 30 out of 34 in 2018.

Worth a shot with any grades I would say.

Sussex:

Standard offer of AAB-ABB; offers through clearing with BBC in 2019, and made offers to 30 out of 34 in 2018.

Hope this helps and best of luck to everyone.

Scroll to see replies

Thank you so much, that's so helpful!!

I'm not applying until 2021, but still great to know - amazed to see Manchester and Leeds on there!
Isnt this year a one off due to calculated grades and CV19?
Reply 3
Original post by 999tigger
Isnt this year a one off due to calculated grades and CV19?

I imagine it will be, so this might not be the best thing to go off, but it’s there if needs be.

I think you’ll have a lot more vacancies, and a lot more desperate universities this year, that students might hold a lot more power than previous years. Unis are still a business and need the money ultimately.

Hopefully people can still use this to go off though.
I know you're saying 'worth a shot' and in these times with covid we have no idea what will happen, but some of your notes are quite generous. I wouldn't chance QMUL Law with BBB for example...

Edited to say: I know you said you won't lose anything by trying and I agree. I just don't want people to underestimate how competitive clearing is for law, particularly at RGs.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Euphoria101
I know you're saying 'worth a shot' and in these times with covid we have no idea what will happen, but some of your notes are quite generous. I wouldn't chance QMUL Law with BBB for example...

Edited to say: I know you said you won't lose anything by trying and I agree. I just don't want people to underestimate how competitive clearing is for law, particularly at RGs.

Oh no of course, and I’m not intending for people to get their hopes up or assume they ring with BBB and they’ve got a place.

It can be competitive and varies year on year. I’d say you really have nothing to lose though by ringing; worst case scenario they say no, you move on and ring someone else.

I think this year though unis will be more desperate to fill spaces because of deferrals and a lack of international students, so offers might be even lower.
Original post by Arisapo
Oh no of course, and I’m not intending for people to get their hopes up or assume they ring with BBB and they’ve got a place.

It can be competitive and varies year on year. I’d say you really have nothing to lose though by ringing; worst case scenario they say no, you move on and ring someone else.

I think this year though unis will be more desperate to fill spaces because of deferrals and a lack of international students, so offers might be even lower.

Definitely, I'm not criticising you because I understand your point - I just thought I'd make the point that while it's good to have hope, clearing is difficult and you have to be realistic.

It's true you have nothing to lose, but it's hard getting your hopes up then getting shot down.

Remember the cap imposed by the government though. Universities cannot just give everyone unconditionals. Also, apparently (someone correct me if I'm wrong) but A-Level grades this year are 2% higher across the board (not sure if I'm phrasing that right!) so it could be even more competitive than normal!
(edited 3 years ago)
a very useful initiative - i'm sure many people will be greatful for it
not surprised to see my alma mater on there :biggrin:
Original post by Arisapo
Know a lot of you are probably nervous over Thursday - best of luck to everyone awaiting grades.

A bit bored and figured it could be a good opportunity to help people who may have to go through clearing; know it can be quite daunting, so hopefully this may help.

I've compiled data from decent places that are in clearing this year, and tried to find some from 2018 and 2019 on those unis, to see what minimum grades they asked for through clearing, and how many received offers.

However, I would note that this year will be different. Clearing changes year on year, but with the grade uncertainty of this year, and less international students/deferrals, there may be more places available, or grade requirements may be lowered.
If you like somewhere, apply! Just because I say the lowest clearing offer was BBB in 2019, it might be different for you. If you've got DDD and want to apply to Sheffield, you'll lose nothing from ringing. Be persistent, and fingers crossed for you.

Here's the data:

Cardiff:

Standard offer of AAB-ABB; no clearing data available for 2019, and offered 10 spaces through clearing in 2018.

University of East Anglia:

Standard offer of AAB (ABB with A in EPQ); only available through clearing for international students in 2019, and made 38 offers through clearing in 2018.

Edinburgh:

Standard offer of A*AA-ABB (wide disparity); not in clearing in 2018 or 2019, so no data.

Surprised to see Edinburgh in here, and may only be for international applicants. You'll also be studying Scots Law so be aware of that.

Exeter (Penryn):

Only available at the Penryn campus with Business, where the standard offer is AAB-ABB; accepted clearing offers of BCC in 2019.

Keele:

Standard offer of BBB-ABC; made 79 offers to 207 applicants through clearing in 2018.

Worth a shot with any grades really - you've nothing to lose.

Kent:

Standard offer of AAA-ABB; no grade data available for 2019, but had filled spaces by midnight on results day. Gave 40 offers to 200 applicants through clearing in 2018.

Worth a shot if you have BBC (or equivalent) or higher I would say.

Lancaster:

Standard offer of AAB; minimum offer of BBB through clearing in 2019, with spaces filled by 3:30pm on results day. Offered 46 spaces to 46 applicants in 2018 through clearing.

Leeds:

Standard offer of AAA; wasn't in clearing in either 2018 or 2019.

A strong uni to be in clearing, and will likely go quickly. If you have BBB (or equivalent) or higher, I would chance it.

Leicester:

Standard offer of ABB; minimum grades of BBB through clearing in 2019, and offered 111 spaces to 193 through clearing in 2018.

Liverpool:

Standard offer of AAA; no indication of grades, but was full by midnight on results day in 2019, and made 0 offers through clearing in 2018.

Manchester:

Standard offer of AAA; not in clearing in 2018 or 2019.

Another strong uni to be in clearing; worth chancing with BBB (or equivalent) or higher.

Newcastle:

Standard offer of AAA; no minimum offer through clearing in 2019 and decided on a case-by-case basis; made 9 offers to 28 applicants in 2018.

Worth chancing with BBC (or equivalent) or higher.

Queen Mary (QMUL):

Standard offer of A*AA; minimum offer of AAA through clearing in 2019, and not in clearing in 2018.

Appears on UCAS, but their website says there are no spaces through clearing. If it appears, I'd chance it with BBB (or equivalent) or higher.

Queen's University Belfast:

Standard offer of AAA; minimum offer of BBB or ABC through clearing in 2019,and made 31 offers to 37 applicants through clearing in 2018.

Reading:

Standard offer of AAB; minimum grades of BBB through clearing in 2019, and made 69 offers to 73 applicants through clearing in 2018.

Worth a shot with CCC or (equivalent) or higher.

Sheffield:

Standard offer of AAA; minimum offer of AAA through clearing in 2019, and made offers to 62 out of 581 applicants in 2018.

Worth a shot with BBB (or equivalent) or higher.

SOAS:

Standard offer of A*AA-AAB; minimum offer of BBB to BBC through clearing in 2019, and made offers to 21 out of 30 in 2018.

Big disparity between standard offer and clearing offers; worth a shot with BCC (or equivalent) off that I would say.

Southampton:

Standard offer of AAA; minimum offer of ABB through clearing in 2019, not available through clearing in 2018.

Surrey:

Standard offer of BBB; available through clearing with BCC in 2019, and was full by 10:20am on results day; made offers to 30 out of 34 in 2018.

Worth a shot with any grades I would say.

Sussex:

Standard offer of AAB-ABB; offers through clearing with BBC in 2019, and made offers to 30 out of 34 in 2018.

Hope this helps and best of luck to everyone.

Ooh I've just noticed your comment re Sussex, "worth a shot with CCC" - today they announced LLB vacancies at BCC and above so not bad. Maybe your predictions are a little on the low side but maybe not, time will tell :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by harrysbar
Ooh I've just noticed your comment re Sussex, "worth a shot with CCC" - today they announced LLB vacancies at BCC and above so not bad. Maybe your predictions are a little on the low side but maybe not, time will tell :smile:

Better to be lower than higher I suppose! I would always say to people there's no harm in ringing, especially this year when it's unpredictable to see exactly how it's going to turn out!

Should try and be on hand tomorrow though to help anyone with questions, as I'm sure you will be too.
Original post by Arisapo
Better to be lower than higher I suppose! I would always say to people there's no harm in ringing, especially this year when it's unpredictable to see exactly how it's going to turn out!

Should try and be on hand tomorrow though to help anyone with questions, as I'm sure you will be too.

Yes I will be and glad to hear that you will be around to help too
Reply 11
Original post by harrysbar
Yes I will be and glad to hear that you will be around to help too

Fully aware of the stress of results day and how people often don't think rationally in the moment; can hopefully pass on my own experiences.

Very interested to see Leeds and Manchester on clearing though - expect their requirements to be very high/international only though.
Original post by Arisapo
Fully aware of the stress of results day and how people often don't think rationally in the moment; can hopefully pass on my own experiences.

Very interested to see Leeds and Manchester on clearing though - expect their requirements to be very high/international only though.

I just checked (as the situation changes on a daily basis at the moment) and Manchester are saying they have LLB vacancies at AAA for Home & International students. Leeds aren't giving much away until tomorrow
Hi there, University of Sheffield Alumni here.

We hope Results Day has gone well for everyone.

If you're entering Clearing, the University of Sheffield has places for Law, which can be found on our website here: https://clearing.shef.ac.uk/#letter-L

I recommend ringing the Clearing helpline to discuss your grades and to find out if you're eligible for a place. Our Confirmation, Adjustment and Clearing Helpline is 0114 212 9900 if you're in the UK, and +44 114 212 9900 if you're outside the UK. The lines are open:
Thursday 13 August: 8.00am–5pm
Friday 14 August: 8.00am–5pm
Saturday 15 August: 10am–2pm
Monday 17–Friday 21 August: 9am–5pm

I hope this helps and best of luck everyone!

- Danielle
Sheffield went to ABB
Reply 15
Original post by Euphoria101
Sheffield went to ABB

Interesting- anyone know what any others are asking for?
Original post by Arisapo
Interesting- anyone know what any others are asking for?

No idea...Tbf Sheffield and Southampton imo asking for ABB are being the most transparent. There are still unis claiming to only accept XYZ or above but then accept lower...
Hi everyone! :hello:

We really hope Results Day has gone well but if you have missed out on your grades, we're here to help.

There are still a number of Law courses available at Queen's, so if you would like to speak to our Clearing experts, we are here to help you explore your options.

Click here to find out more about Clearing at Queen's or call our Clearing Hotline on +44 (0) 28 9244 3498.

Wishing you all the best,

Team Queen's
(Kachela)
Reply 18
Original post by Queen's University Belfast
Hi everyone! :hello:

We really hope Results Day has gone well but if you have missed out on your grades, we're here to help.

There are still a number of Law courses available at Queen's, so if you would like to speak to our Clearing experts, we are here to help you explore your options.

Click here to find out more about Clearing at Queen's or call our Clearing Hotline on +44 (0) 28 9244 3498.

Wishing you all the best,

Team Queen's
(Kachela)

What’s the minimum grades you’re accepting?
Original post by Arisapo
What’s the minimum grades you’re accepting?

Hi @Arisapo,

The entry requirements listed for GB students are BBB/ABC (please see the image below for the different options)

Hope this is helpful!

Screenshot 2020-08-13 at 12.07.00.png

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending