The Student Room Group

When do i start buying textbooks for uni?

Hello everyone,
Does anyone know when i should start buying textbooks or if it’s better to buy each hard copy or if i should just get Perlego.
Any advice would be helpful :smile:
You don't need to buy text books at the moment. Usually your university will have a library with all the required books available. Some universities also allow students to access books online at any time (including out of term-time).
Buying books for uni can be really expensive so I'd recommend looking through your essential reading list (when you get access to it) and checking if the library has them/ if they're available online before committing to buying any.
Key advice: Be proactive during the start when determining which books you need for all your modules and hit the library asap. You have everyone on your course going for the same books. So, it's best if you get there first and get a copy. You can always extend the hand-in date as you go on during your course. Plus, buying books is not entirely necessary nowadays as majority of books can be found online. I saved myself hundreds of pounds by simply talking to people, and searching online for pdf versions of books that I needed.
Original post by Eri.2
Hello everyone,
Does anyone know when i should start buying textbooks or if it’s better to buy each hard copy or if i should just get Perlego.

check what's in the library first and then see what lectures say about what's core reading.
Reply 4
Thank youuu :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by MisterFortnite
Key advice: Be proactive during the start when determining which books you need for all your modules and hit the library asap. You have everyone on your course going for the same books. So, it's best if you get there first and get a copy. You can always extend the hand-in date as you go on during your course. Plus, buying books is not entirely necessary nowadays as majority of books can be found online. I saved myself hundreds of pounds by simply talking to people, and searching online for pdf versions of books that I needed.

Thank youu :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by claireestelle
check what's in the library first and then see what lectures say about what's core reading.

Thank youu :smile:
Original post by Eri.2
Hello everyone,

Hi @Eri.2

I would wait till you are at uni, and then see which books you will actually use, which are online and which are in the library. As in first year I got all the required books for my course and they were quite expensive, so if I waited I could have saved money. Also, I would recommend seeing if people in the year above are selling their books as they may be cheaper.

Zaira :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by hallamstudents
Hi @Eri.2

I would wait till you are at uni, and then see which books you will actually use, which are online and which are in the library. As in first year I got all the required books for my course and they were quite expensive, so if I waited I could have saved money. Also, I would recommend seeing if people in the year above are selling their books as they may be cheaper.

Zaira :smile:

Thank youuu Zaira :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending