The Student Room Group

Moving to London for uni - where to live?

Hi! I’ve had quite a few questions on where to look for accommodation in London, so I thought I’d do a post to help!

I studied at the University of Law at the London Bloomsbury campus, so the information on the time it took me to travel applies to that campus!

In first year I applied through clearing so didn’t have the option of choosing the halls the uni provided. Also, halls were too expensive for me, whether they were provided by our uni or not. I used spare room.com to find a room and shared with random students (2 of them).

In second and third year I lived with students (second was students from a different uni, third year was a student from uni of law) and used rightmove.com for both!

Each year, I lived in different areas. First year was Marylebone, a 35-40 min walk or half hour tube ride from uni. Second year was Westferry, around 45 mins on tube. Third year was Clapham South, around 45 mins on tube again. It’s worth living slightly outside the campus area like I did in my opinion as it’s cheaper! And as I said earlier, sites like rightmove or spare room are cheaper than halls.

If you’re studying at the Moorgate campus with the uni of law, the areas I mentioned above still aren’t far! In fact, Clapham is closer to Moorgate!

Friends of mine who went to uni of law lived in halls for the first 2 years. The halls were in Holloway area, 30 min bus ride or 20 min tube from uni in Bloomsbury. The halls were called Bloomfield and they lived with students from lots of different unis! In third year, 6 of them lived together in a house that they found on rightmove.

There’s also the option of renting a studio flat aka one person flat. It’s more expensive but good if you want your own space! You can find them on rightmove

Hope this helps!! Whether you’re going to the university of law or a different one, there are plenty of options in terms of type of accommodation AND areas... so look around!

The plus side about living in London is that you can find accommodation so quickly... I found all my places within a couple of weeks!

Let me know if you have any questions or further advice/ tips!

Tasha
LLB law graduate
(edited 3 years ago)
I would suggest avoiding Clapham, as given social distancing for possibly a year or more, you will find the Northern line very uncomfortable, if you can get on it. Buses are an option from the Marylebone area.
these places are incredibly expensive. like who tf can afford to live in marylebone or moorgate of all places as a student? also these places are soulless
Original post by angelinahx
these places are incredibly expensive. like who tf can afford to live in marylebone or moorgate of all places as a student? also these places are soulless

They’re not expensive... I lived in Marylebone and it was cheap for London rates and much cheaper than where any of my friends lived. Like I said, I used spare room so paid for 1 room while living in Marylebone. Also, I never said how much it cost me so you can’t say it’s expensive.

And if you read what I put, I never suggested living in Moorgate - I said that’s where a campus is.

I don’t think they’re soulless at all, they’re good options I found on a budget :-)
Original post by barnetlad
I would suggest avoiding Clapham, as given social distancing for possibly a year or more, you will find the Northern line very uncomfortable, if you can get on it. Buses are an option from the Marylebone area.

True the northern line gets incredibly crowded in rush hour times! I avoided this by leaving out 30-40 mins earlier if I had a 9am, and just went into uni early and ate breakfast or studied. Similarly, I would avoid rush hour on the way home

Yes buses are an option in Marylebone good point :-)
Live in a box or live in a room and commute a daily two way marathon.
Original post by The University of Law Students
I lived in Marylebone it was cheap

Marylebone is one of the most expensive places in London
Marylebone is one of the most expensive places in London

Maybe if you bought a house... I didn’t, nor will other students. I shared a flat, and paid for one room, and to share kitchen / lounge / bathroom. And like I said above, I could walk to my uni so saved a lot on travel.

I actually lived there for a year, so I know it wasn’t expensive.
Maybe if you bought a house... I didn’t, nor will other students. I shared a flat, and paid for one room, and to share kitchen / lounge / bathroom. And like I said above, I could walk to my uni so saved a lot on travel.

I actually lived there for a year, so I know it wasn’t expensive.

lmao are you fr? everyone flat shares in london
marylebone, knightsbridge, belgravia etc are all amongst the richest and most expensive in the whole of uk
cheap places which are still artsy and party-centred are places like brixton, peckham, hackney, new cross
you do you though and i'm glad you had an enjoyable time, marylebone is beautiful so if you can afford it it's a nice place to live! it's just expensive for most people
marylebone, knightsbridge, belgravia etc are all amongst the richest and most expensive in the whole of uk
cheap places which are still artsy and party-centred are places like brixton, peckham, hackney, new cross
you do you though and i'm glad you had an enjoyable time, marylebone is beautiful so if you can afford it it's a nice place to live! it's just expensive for most people

Where I lived in Marylebone it was not expensive at all, else I wouldn’t have lived there. Just because it’s in a rich area doesn’t mean that every street and building is at all, mine was not. Maybe the places you’re looking at in that area are but that’s your choice to look there :-)

You couldn't pay me enough to move back to London. Overpriced squats galore.
Where I lived in Marylebone it was not expensive at all, else I wouldn’t have lived there. Just because it’s in a rich area doesn’t mean that every street and building is at all, mine was not. Maybe the places you’re looking at in that area are but that’s your choice to look there :-)

What did you pay in rent?
Original post by Ramipril
You couldn't pay me enough to move back to London. Overpriced squats galore.

Agreed, London is extortionate lol
What did you pay in rent?

£160 per week including all bills. Cheaper than anything my friends paid and, in my opinion, very decent for London.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending