The Student Room Group

resitting year 12

Ive just finished year 12 but am thinking of resitting year. I was wondering if this affects uni applications in any way? I can’t find much info on it but I’ve seen some people saying that a few unis may raise the offer?
Original post by nabila.elas17
Ive just finished year 12 but am thinking of resitting year. I was wondering if this affects uni applications in any way? I can’t find much info on it but I’ve seen some people saying that a few unis may raise the offer?

any particular reason in why youre resitting?

I am retaking the year. It's not that deep most of the time but it depends on your course that you want to do at uni. For example, medicine does not allow resitters unless there is extenuating circumstances. Generally, it does not affect your application if you can reflect on why you resat well. Figure out what you want to apply for and then email all unis and ask them if they accept retakers, most will say they do. The unis don't usually raise the offers, you will be considered as just another year 13 regardless of retaking.
Original post by zoe.nyaku
I am retaking the year. It's not that deep most of the time but it depends on your course that you want to do at uni. For example, medicine does not allow resitters unless there is extenuating circumstances. Generally, it does not affect your application if you can reflect on why you resat well. Figure out what you want to apply for and then email all unis and ask them if they accept retakers, most will say they do. The unis don't usually raise the offers, you will be considered as just another year 13 regardless of retaking.

okay. thanks so much. yeah I’m thinking of doing a healthcare related course, like paramedic science, nursing or something like that. I will email unis & ask about what they accept.
I’ve found it really hard in lockdown to not be in school for 4 months. I just feel like it will be hard for me to go forward into year 13 & carry on. I’d rather be safe & feel confident in myself going on to uni.

you shouldve played it safe and kept on top of your school work, if you feel like youd do better then resit, but obviously not the best of choices, what are you studying in uni?
okay. thanks so much. yeah I’m thinking of doing a healthcare related course, like paramedic science, nursing or something like that. I will email unis & ask about what they accept.

In that case you’ll be fine. Very similar to me I’m doing physiotherapy out of all the schools offering my course only about 4 did not take retakes. Bare in mind you are only applying to 5 and for those subjects I know for a fact a lot of unis couldn’t care less if you retook as long as you get the grades second time around. Thats good, literally send a group email and ask hi do you accept retakes and you’ll be fine
I’ve found it really hard in lockdown to not be in school for 4 months. I just feel like it will be hard for me to go forward into year 13 & carry on. I’d rather be safe & feel confident in myself going on to uni.

Tbh if you’re not too concerned with the extra year, retake. I had the option to go into year 13 but I would’ve been too behind with year 12 work and would have probably underperformed in year 13 and take an extra year anyway. However with taking another year you HAVE to be on work twice as much as before. You’ve done the year, you’ve made the mistakes already so it’s a do over really. If you choose to retake don’t waste it

They won't raise the offer. My brother did year 12 twice and he got the same offers as everyone else. Most of the times, the uni doesn't even know.
Original post by john87647
you shouldve played it safe and kept on top of your school work, if you feel like youd do better then resit, but obviously not the best of choices, what are you studying in uni?

I did stay on top of my school work & I did extra work too. there wasn’t personal issues that had kept me out of school in year 10 so I fell behind at GCSE. now at a level, I’ve always felt behind. I’ve found lockdown hard myself (not academically) so it has affected my performance. I just want to feel confident applying for uni & it’s a good opportunity. I want to study something healthcare related.
Original post by Banechann
They won't raise the offer. My brother did year 12 twice and he got the same offers as everyone else. Most of the times, the uni doesn't even know.

okay thanks, I’ve just seen a few people say some unis raise entry requirements but that’s good
In that case you’ll be fine. Very similar to me I’m doing physiotherapy out of all the schools offering my course only about 4 did not take retakes. Bare in mind you are only applying to 5 and for those subjects I know for a fact a lot of unis couldn’t care less if you retook as long as you get the grades second time around. Thats good, literally send a group email and ask hi do you accept retakes and you’ll be fine

Ive emailed all the unis I’m interested in so I’m just waiting for replies. I couldn’t find much info on who takes retakes & not.
Tbh if you’re not too concerned with the extra year, retake. I had the option to go into year 13 but I would’ve been too behind with year 12 work and would have probably underperformed in year 13 and take an extra year anyway. However with taking another year you HAVE to be on work twice as much as before. You’ve done the year, you’ve made the mistakes already so it’s a do over really. If you choose to retake don’t waste it

of course! it’s a great opportunity to get where’s you need to be. so have you resat year 12 already or going to this year?
of course! it’s a great opportunity to get where’s you need to be. so have you resat year 12 already or going to this year?

I’ve resat already and I’ll be going into year 13 in September. Yeah it helped me massively I probably would not have been able to apply to uni without retaking
I did stay on top of my school work & I did extra work too. there wasn’t personal issues that had kept me out of school in year 10 so I fell behind at GCSE. now at a level, I’ve always felt behind. I’ve found lockdown hard myself (not academically) so it has affected my performance. I just want to feel confident applying for uni & it’s a good opportunity. I want to study something healthcare related.

If you feel like you need to retake, then go ahead just be vigilant on the university requirements, good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest