The Student Room Group

Insurance when renting a property

Is it common for letting agents to ask you to get insurance? I have been asked to fill out a form signing up for insurance, where I pay a monthly fee for the items in my room and any injuries that may occur. I have never been asked to do this before so I am unsure of the advantages and disadvantages to this.
Sounds sketchy to me - if the property requires home insurance then that's something the letting agent should be organising, not asking the tenant for... lots of dodgy letting agents out there.
Original post by Anonymous
Is it common for letting agents to ask you to get insurance? I have been asked to fill out a form signing up for insurance, where I pay a monthly fee for the items in my room and any injuries that may occur. I have never been asked to do this before so I am unsure of the advantages and disadvantages to this.

you really should have contents insurance even when renting, the majority of people don't have the money to cover what you need if your house burnt down, I would consider going with your own provider though.
Original post by Tom.Nook
Sounds sketchy to me - if the property requires home insurance then that's something the letting agent should be organising, not asking the tenant for... lots of dodgy letting agents out there.

landlords are responsible for the buildings insurance, a tenant is responsible for their own contents so they would get insurance for that.
I think the landlord is responsible if they provide the furniture to Insure it. Though you also have an interest in it, if you say set fire to the sofa you’d have to replace it. But a flood from upstairs damaging the sofa, not your responsibility.
Reply 4
Original post by claireestelle
you really should have contents insurance even when renting, the majority of people don't have the money to cover what you need if your house burnt down, I would consider going with your own provider though.

landlords are responsible for the buildings insurance, a tenant is responsible for their own contents so they would get insurance for that.

It's my first professional property so I'm not sure what providers to look for. How much does insurance roughly come to? I don't want to pay a fortune. Also, for contents insurance, is it only insured for when something happens to the property or is it insured in general.
Reply 5
Original post by Catherine1973
I think the landlord is responsible if they provide the furniture to Insure it. Though you also have an interest in it, if you say set fire to the sofa you’d have to replace it. But a flood from upstairs damaging the sofa, not your responsibility.

So they would be responsible for the furniture in my room? For instance, if a flood from upstairs damaged my room, who would be responsible? And if there was spillage on the carpet, would insurance cover that or the deposit?
It's my first professional property so I'm not sure what providers to look for. How much does insurance roughly come to? I don't want to pay a fortune. Also, for contents insurance, is it only insured for when something happens to the property or is it insured in general.

Our contents insurance is £6 a month for a whole house so it doesn't have to be expensive, it's for when something happens to the property or a theft but you can pay extra for accidental damage cover for the things you own.
Reply 7
Our contents insurance is £6 a month for a whole house so it doesn't have to be expensive, it's for when something happens to the property or a theft but you can pay extra for accidental damage cover for the things you own.

What is the difference between accidental damage and contents insurance? Sorry if it seems stupid, I have never done this before. Also, is there a website which lists all the different types of insurance companies and how will you know which are good and trust worthy?
What is the difference between accidental damage and contents insurance? Sorry if it seems stupid, I have never done this before. Also, is there a website which lists all the different types of insurance companies and how will you know which are good and trust worthy?

Go on a comparison site like compare the market, accidental damage cover is an extra you can get in contents insurance, it should cover any accidents you have with your stuff like if you dropped tea on a laptop for example.
Reply 9
Go on a comparison site like compare the market, accidental damage cover is an extra you can get in contents insurance, it should cover any accidents you have with your stuff like if you dropped tea on a laptop for example.

Thanks so much for this!!

The Post Office are pretty cheap.
Reply 11
Where's the best place to get contents insurance?
Reply 12
you really should have contents insurance even when renting, the majority of people don't have the money to cover what you need if your house burnt down, I would consider going with your own provider though. wh

Where's the best place to get contents insurance esp for expensive music gear?
Original post by Lmaocat
Where's the best place to get contents insurance esp for expensive music gear?

best to get quotes on the comparison websites and find one that allows you to specify high value items on the policy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending