The Student Room Group

uni student living in a new sharehouse but picked a bad room. NEED SOME ADVICE!

I'm a final year student returning to university and living in a new sharehouse in a different area. After moving in and staying in the room for a couple of nights, I discovered that the boiler cabinet is inside my room which makes a constant dripping noise and the room is located next to the toilet, which makes it hard for me to sleep considering that any small noise wakes me up. Currently, making do by using earplugs and headphones to block out the noise but not ideal for the long term :frown:

Debating on whether I should continue to stay in my current large room and see if I can get used to sleeping in a noisy environment (which is highly unlikely:s-smilie:) or swap rooms with a housemate and get the cramped box room but its much quieter?

Also, if anyone has stayed or currently staying in a box room whilst at university, I want to hear your experiences e.g. the positives and negatives so I can weigh out my options:smile:

Original post by Anonymous
I'm a final year student returning to university and living in a new sharehouse in a different area. After moving in and staying in the room for a couple of nights, I discovered that the boiler cabinet is inside my room which makes a constant dripping noise and the room is located next to the toilet, which makes it hard for me to sleep considering that any small noise wakes me up. Currently, making do by using earplugs and headphones to block out the noise but not ideal for the long term :frown:

Debating on whether I should continue to stay in my current large room and see if I can get used to sleeping in a noisy environment (which is highly unlikely:s-smilie:) or swap rooms with a housemate and get the cramped box room but its much quieter?

Also, if anyone has stayed or currently staying in a box room whilst at university, I want to hear your experiences e.g. the positives and negatives so I can weigh out my options:smile:

Only you know the difference, but seems like you chose a poor house if 2 of the rooms are unsatisfactory.
Ask them not to flush at night.
Ask LL if theres anything that can be done about dropping noise or find out from some people who know about boilers.
Imo you will get used to it.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Only you know the difference, but seems like you chose a poor house if 2 of the rooms are unsatisfactory.
Ask LL if theres anything that can be done about dropping noise or find out from some people who know about boilers.

Ask them not to flush at night? I'm sorry, but I wouldn't want someone to walk in the morning and see the masterpiece i left at 3am.

It's not good to have a boiler in a bedroom - is there a carbon monoxide alarm?
Original post by GodTubz
Ask them not to flush at night? I'm sorry, but I wouldn't want someone to walk in the morning and see the masterpiece i left at 3am.

Are you claiming to be the OP?
Reply 5

I chose the house because it was newly refurbished house which was better than my previous house where there were slug problems, mould growing on the walls and the previous landlord locked the central heating so it was constantly freezing during the winter and often came over to the house with no prior notice :frown:

I have asked the landlord to see if the boiler can be fixed but my request gets ignored or claimed there some difficulties in getting the issue fixed :frown:

Planning to see if I can negotiate to move into the box room which is slightly cheaper in rent, has plenty of storage space and no more dripping noises :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Muttley79
It's not good to have a boiler in a bedroom - is there a carbon monoxide alarm?

Don't think so?
But the boiler is more of a hot water tank so it should be fine... I think?
I chose the house because it was newly refurbished house which was better than my previous house where there were slug problems, mould growing on the walls and the previous landlord locked the central heating so it was constantly freezing during the winter and often came over to the house with no prior notice :frown:

I have asked the landlord to see if the boiler can be fixed but my request gets ignored or claimed there some difficulties in getting the issue fixed :frown:

Planning to see if I can negotiate to move into the box room which is slightly cheaper in rent, has plenty of storage space and no more dripping noises :smile:

If it bothers you that much then you sound like youve already made your choice.
Box rooms are ok for people who are never there i.e social life mostly outside.
Can you study ok in there?
Does the other person understand why you wish to move?
Reply 8
If it bothers you that much then you sound like youve already made your choice.
Box rooms are ok for people who are never there i.e social life mostly outside.
Can you study ok in there?
Does the other person understand why you wish to move?

I never stayed in box room before but considering I'm 5ft 2, the small room doesn't bother me :biggrin:
I haven't talked it out with the housemate yet since I'm going to see if I can negotiate with the landlord to get the boiler fixed before I finalise anything, but considering the current housemate in the box room is 6ft and sleeping on a single bed I think he would prefer my room which has a double bed and spacious :biggrin:
I never stayed in box room before but considering I'm 5ft 2, the small room doesn't bother me :biggrin:
I haven't talked it out with the housemate yet since I'm going to see if I can negotiate with the landlord to get the boiler fixed before I finalise anything, but considering the current housemate in the box room is 6ft and sleeping on a single bed I think he would prefer my room which has a double bed and spacious :biggrin:

You will have to tell him why you want to move though.

Only if the LL is good will they do anything.
Hang out on some forums where there might be plumbers who can tell you if its likely it can be fixed.
(edited 3 years ago)
Take the box room. If the noise is already annoying you, it's only going to get worse when you are trying to study for finals in there. It's also highly likely that you will be spending more time in your room than previous years due to blended learning (depending on your university).
You will have to tell him why you want to move though.

Yeah I'll tell the housemate my reasons and hope he agrees to it, if not I'll find alternative solutions :smile:
Don't think so?
But the boiler is more of a hot water tank so it should be fine... I think?

Which is it? A boiler is nothing like a hot water tank .... again these are usually in a cupboard off a landing not in a room.
Original post by Muttley79
Which is it? A boiler is nothing like a hot water tank .... again these are usually in a cupboard off a landing not in a room.

Think its a hot water tank.
The hot water tank is only in my room because the house is small
Think its a hot water tank.
The hot water tank is only in my room because the house is small

It wouldn't have been built like that -sounds like it's been internally changed to make more bedrooms ... never a good sign.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending