The Student Room Group

Going university late

Hi guys. I just wanted some opinions about my situation. So this year because of corona I didn’t do my A levels and I ended up getting CCD (which was a shock because I deserved better) I did get a place at Brunel for life science but then I realised biology is not something I want to do at uni as I realised I’m not really passionate about it and idk where it would take me later on in life.I realised that I should have stuck with Midwifery as I’m quite interested in women’s care and birth. So I basically enrolled for college to do a BTEC course for 2 years in order for me to reapply for midwifery. It’s just now thinking how everyone as in my friends and people the same age as me are going off the university whereas I’m stuck in college again for 2 years and I know I shouldn’t matter, but it makes me overthink how I’ll never leave college and I’ll never end up at uni whereas the rest of my friends have moved on. Idk if I should just go to uni this year or do college and apply for something I’m passionate about which is midwifery. It’s quite scary cause I’m taking 2 steps back and also midwifery is quite competitive and so I’m scared I might not get offers and this also adds to my worries. Idk if I’ve made the right decision for myself. And also today is my last day to decide because I either enroll to my university or decline and go to college for 2 years.So please let me know your thoughts about this as soon as possible
Original post by snerus
Hi guys. I just wanted some opinions about my situation. So this year because of corona I didn’t do my A levels and I ended up getting CCD (which was a shock because I deserved better) I did get a place at Brunel for life science but then I realised biology is not something I want to do at uni as I realised I’m not really passionate about it and idk where it would take me later on in life.I realised that I should have stuck with Midwifery as I’m quite interested in women’s care and birth. So I basically enrolled for college to do a BTEC course for 2 years in order for me to reapply for midwifery. It’s just now thinking how everyone as in my friends and people the same age as me are going off the university whereas I’m stuck in college again for 2 years and I know I shouldn’t matter, but it makes me overthink how I’ll never leave college and I’ll never end up at uni whereas the rest of my friends have moved on. Idk if I should just go to uni this year or do college and apply for something I’m passionate about which is midwifery. It’s quite scary cause I’m taking 2 steps back and also midwifery is quite competitive and so I’m scared I might not get offers and this also adds to my worries. Idk if I’ve made the right decision for myself. And also today is my last day to decide because I either enroll to my university or decline and go to college for 2 years.So please let me know your thoughts about this as soon as possible

1. Stop comparing yourself to other people.
2. If you believe you deserved better, then sit the exams this Autum or resit for next year and prove you cna get the grades.
3. Dont do a course you arent interested in.
4. Instead of BTEC cna you just resit as per 2 or alternatively do an access to health services 1 year course, which will be good enough to get you into Midwifery.

So I wouldnt do either.
Reply 2
Original post by snerus

I started my nurse training at 25. Lots of people on my course were a similar age and older, that's normal for both nursing and midwifery degrees.
Reply 3
Original post by snerus

One day you'll realise that what other people are doing has absolutely no impact on your life. It seems like a lot of pressure now, but trust me when you get a bit older you'll be glad you didn't follow the crowd for something that was never a dream. I got DDE at A-level (I was going to do Media and Mass Communications at DMU... why? No idea. Wasn't interested in that. Just thought it was the right thing - to go to Uni. In hindsight it would have been such a waste of time as I want nothing to do with that industry :rolleyes:). So I worked for a few years, travelled, came back and decided to do an Access course. I had the best time at college! Now, 10 years later than my school friends, I'm starting a degree. A degree I'm actually interested in. Some of my friends are married (even divorced), some have multiple children, some are unemployed, some are exactly where they want to be in life. I don't speak to the majority of them anyway - sadly that happens when you get a bit older. All our journeys take different paths and go at different speeds. Priorities change and new doors open and close.
Would you consider doing an Access course instead of a BTEC? It runs from September to June and prepares you really well for University study. You've already admitted that you don't see Biology as something that's for you, and that's totally fine. If your interest has always been Midwifery then pursue that dream - you'll kick yourself in three years if you end up with a degree in Life Science but would have preferred to do something else.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
I failed my first year of a levels and did a BTEC, I was comparing myself to my friends but then in college you get a new set of friends and you forget about old friends and where they're at and you start off fresh with a whole bunch of people who've gone 1/2 steps back and you're all on equal footing. and maybe your friends wont breeze through uni they may take a bit longer or even drop out

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending