The Student Room Group

Kitten stopping me from sleeping

Just had it for about 2 weeks and it’s cute but it’s scratched the new sofa that we just got delivered literally on Thursday. My parents are going to kill me when they get back from their holiday because I think I should take the blame. The main issue is, it’s been meowing at night, running into the door until I let it in my room and if I let it in it runs around rapidly for ages while I’m trying to sleep. We want to keep it but at this rate we are going to have to sell it.

Scroll to see replies

Yet another person getting a pet without researching what to expect and how to care for it, finding they don't like it so much after all, and then giving it away or dumping it on a shelter.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Just had it for about 2 weeks and it’s cute but it’s scratched the new sofa that we just got delivered literally on Thursday. My parents are going to kill me when they get back from their holiday because I think I should take the blame. The main issue is, it’s been meowing at night, running into the door until I let it in my room and if I let it in it runs around rapidly for ages while I’m trying to sleep. We want to keep it but at this rate we are going to have to sell it.

Unfortunately kittens don't really care if it's day or night they play allot when they're younger but they'll get calmer as they get older, mine stopped playing altogether once they turned one, I suggest playing with it before you go to bed so that its tired but it may get up and play still during the night as that's just what kittens are like. It may be useful to get a crate (with food/water/litter/bed and maybe some small toys) which is what I did with my kittens until they were about 3/4 months as it can sometimes be dangerous to leave them out unsupervised and it can help them to settle at night, just make sure to play with it before you but it to bed. If you don't have a crate you can also use a spare room. Also for the sofa maybe get a scratching post or our cats love the flat cat scratchers that you can get that usually come with catnip, it might help deter it from scratching the sofa.
What,

Do you think a cat is just like some consumable electronic that can be configured to stop meowing? Jesus Christ :_: It takes 5 minutes to use Google to find the reality of owning a pet.

Anyway... my own fury aside from the crisis befalling pets during COVID...

You're going to have to play with it a tremendous amount to tucker the little devil out and accept that it's going to be loud at night. When our cat Fluffy gave birth to her three kittens (all still around, Fluffy got ran over a year later.) those demons screamed and howled all day every day and all night every night for at least two months. After that, they calmed down.

Giving them copious amounts of milk, catnip and play during the day, helped a bunch.
WTF did you expect, it is a kitten :facepalm2:

This why people shouldn't just be able to buy animals willy nilly. Disgusting.
Reply 5
Original post by Emmygus
Unfortunately kittens don't really care if it's day or night they play allot when they're younger but they'll get calmer as they get older, mine stopped playing altogether once they turned one, I suggest playing with it before you go to bed so that its tired but it may get up and play still during the night as that's just what kittens are like. It may be useful to get a crate (with food/water/litter/bed and maybe some small toys) which is what I did with my kittens until they were about 3/4 months as it can sometimes be dangerous to leave them out unsupervised and it can help them to settle at night, just make sure to play with it before you but it to bed. If you don't have a crate you can also use a spare room. Also for the sofa maybe get a scratching post or our cats love the flat cat scratchers that you can get that usually come with catnip, it might help deter it from scratching the sofa.

What would should I play? It’s actually destroyed the sofa, it’s whipped a massive whole in it, it’s fine because I think they are covered on accidental damage but still we only got them delivered last Thursday literally. I’m worried if it might destroy my car and it’s I’ll be so upset if it wrecks that
Reply 6
Original post by DiddyDec
WTF did you expect, it is a kitten :facepalm2:

This why people shouldn't just be able to buy animals willy nilly. Disgusting.

It’s our first pet ever, we’ve never had experience of one
Reply 7
Its a kitten, of course its going to scratch up the couch.

Its a living being. Not a stuffed animal. What do you expect?
Reply 8

Especially a kitten
Reply 9
Original post by LovelyMrFox
Its a kitten, of course its going to scratch up the couch. Theres nothing you can do about that.

Tell your parents to take a breath.

It is kind of my fault for letting it near it tbf
I’m worried if it might destroy my car and it’s I’ll be so upset if it wrecks that

Why would a kitten be in a car?

You should have done your research before buying a living animal.
Reply 11

Did you do even a tiny bit of research on cats? Or are you one of those people who goes to the shop, sees a cute animal, and takes it home?
Impulse buying is never okay. You take a living being into your home and you should do your proper research, its like having a baby.
(edited 3 years ago)

It’s my gfs, I did research, I spoke to people, I tried to get toys in advanced, and I even checked around on this forum

This is what happens when people buy pets. Don't buy them unless you really want them and willing to put up with them.
RIP Couch.

Your kitten is here to stay OP. Don't abandon it because of your godforsaken couch.

We might need to go vets or something, gf doesn’t drive, it also might be playing in the garden or something the just jump on the hood or roof
What would should I play? It’s actually destroyed the sofa, it’s whipped a massive whole in it, it’s fine because I think they are covered on accidental damage but still we only got them delivered last Thursday literally. I’m worried if it might destroy my car and it’s I’ll be so upset if it wrecks that

Shouldn't you have been supervising it? it was probably bored and made a game for itself, cats like shedding things. I doubt it'll destroy your car? how old is it? if it's younger than 4/5 months it shouldn't really be outside and the most It might do is jump on it but cats don't usually do that anyway. I suggest looking for cat toys on amazon you can get bundles which include mice/tunnels etc our cats when they were kittens loved a toy that had a ball in a tunnel that they pushed around with their paws, for when you're not there to play with it get it something interactive again there are a ton of toys on amazon. Honestly sometimes just a bit of string can be good or DIYing a cardboard tunnel/box etc is something they usually love.
Original post by Nobodyy
RIP Couch.

Your kitten is here to stay OP. Don't abandon it because of your godforsaken couch.

I won’t I mean in worse case I might have to but still probably won’t
It’s my gfs, I did research, I spoke to people, I tried to get toys in advanced, and I even checked around on this forum

By the fact you call the kitten "it" says a lot about you as an owner.
Original post by Emmygus
Shouldn't you have been supervising it? it was probably bored and made a game for itself, cats like shedding things. I doubt it'll destroy your car? how old is it? if it's younger than 4/5 months it shouldn't really be outside and the most It might do is jump on it but cats don't usually do that anyway. I suggest looking for cat toys on amazon you can get bundles which include mice/tunnels etc our cats when they were kittens loved a toy that had a ball in a tunnel that they pushed around with their paws, for when you're not there to play with it get it something interactive again there are a ton of toys on amazon. Honestly sometimes just a bit of string can be good or DIYing a cardboard tunnel/box etc is something they usually love.

Yes I should be supervising and yes I’ll try them. I think it’s about a month

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending