The Student Room Group

Scared of getting withdrawn out of college

I found out last week from a teacher apparently there’s a “3 strikes and you are out” rule so it means if you are late to lesson or in the morning 3 times then you get kicked out. It’s a bit unfair and harsh because it’s not very many times and it’s going to be hard not to be late, I can try hard but due to traffic and cant garantee I won’t be late. The other day I was late from break because my phone was set at the wrong time and the teacher said was outside the classroom waiting for me then told me it’s 3 times and I’m out. The teacher also said she doesn’t care if I kicked out because she still has a job but obviously I care because it can mess up my life and I have got nothing if I get kicked out of college. My future would be potentially screwed. I kind have been anxious and I’m kind of panicking about this rule, when we are in the car and I see we could potentially be late to college I get panicky. I don’t think it’s fair ruining my future potentially just because I was late 3 times, the teacher said the reason they do it is because at work they won’t have you being late but I don’t even think a typical job is that strict tbh. I thought I’d the teacher trying to scare but no, my brother went to that college last year and literally got kicked out so he went back to his business that he does, I also heard this student on the way back saying “3 strikes and you are out” to her mate so it sounds like that’s it’s actually true. It’s an independent college so they can do what they want as far as I know.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I found out last week from a teacher apparently there’s a “3 strikes and you are out” rule so it means if you are late to lesson or in the morning 3 times then you get kicked out. It’s a bit unfair and harsh because it’s not very many times and it’s going to be hard not to be late, I can try hard but due to traffic and cant garantee I won’t be late. The other day I was late from break because my phone was set at the wrong time and the teacher said was outside the classroom waiting for me then told me it’s 3 times and I’m out. The teacher also said she doesn’t care if I kicked out because she still has a job but obviously I care because it can mess up my life and I have got nothing if I get kicked out of college. My future would be potentially screwed. I kind have been anxious and I’m kind of panicking about this rule, when we are in the car and I see we could potentially be late to college I get panicky. I don’t think it’s fair ruining my future potentially just because I was late 3 times, the teacher said the reason they do it is because at work they won’t have you being late but I don’t even think a typical job is that strict tbh. I thought I’d the teacher trying to scare but no, my brother went to that college last year and literally got kicked out so he went back to his business that he does, I also heard this student on the way back saying “3 strikes and you are out” to her mate so it sounds like that’s it’s actually true. It’s an independent college so they can do what they want as far as I know.

Hi, I’m no expert in this but why don’t you ask someone else in the college for advice. Surely there is somewhere you can put in a complaint, as the actions from your teacher are out of order really. I can understand if you were missing entire lessons, but just being a little late shouldn’t get you kicked out.

Not trying to be rude but why would you go to the same college your brother did if you knew the rules were flawed?
Reply 2
Original post by Joel746
Hi, I’m no expert in this but why don’t you ask someone else in the college for advice. Surely there is somewhere you can put in a complaint, as the actions from your teacher are out of order really. I can understand if you were missing entire lessons, but just being a little late shouldn’t get you kicked out.

Not trying to be rude but why would you go to the same college your brother did if you knew the rules were flawed?

I might do for putting me through this anxiety fear of getting kicked out but she did only say you get kicked out if you are late 3 times. I might speak to another student or something. I went because my teachers at school suggested this course and I failed my GCSEs so I’m limited with courses
I might do for putting me through this anxiety fear of getting kicked out but she did only say you get kicked out if you are late 3 times. I might speak to another student or something. I went because my teachers at school suggested this course and I failed my GCSEs so I’m limited with courses

Do you have a college handbook/rulebook with their policies in it that you could check?
All colleges will have rules and some are stricter than others. If indeed it is three strikes and you’re out you will have to make more effort to be early-for example, not have your phone set to the wrong time.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by GabiAbi84
Do you have a college handbook/rulebook with their policies in it that you could check?
All colleges will have rules and some are stricter than others. If indeed it is three strikes and you’re out you will have to make more effort to be early-for example, not have your phone set to the wrong time.

No I have been checking through their website for this “3 strikes and you are out” thing but found nothing. I can do that but I can’t garantee I won’t be late more that 3 times, there traffic in the morning due to kids going school
No I have been checking through their website for this “3 strikes and you are out” thing but found nothing. I can do that but I can’t garantee I won’t be late more that 3 times, there traffic in the morning due to kids going school

There should be a school policy document/ handbook that discusses conduct and discipline.

Everyone going is in the same boat.
Reply 6
There should be a school policy document/ handbook that discusses conduct and discipline.

Everyone going is in the same boat.

I know but it should be less strict imo
I’d put a complaint in against your teacher, she shouldn’t be saying stuff like that to you.

Traffic is beyond your control, so seems a bit unfair. Just aim to get there 20 mins earlier than you’re supposed to be, it’s unlikely you’ll be late then :smile:

Also education is not the only path to a good life, if you get kicked out you still have options especially if you’re still under 18.
Reply 8
I’d put a complaint in against your teacher, she shouldn’t be saying stuff like that to you.

Traffic is beyond your control, so seems a bit unfair. Just aim to get there 20 mins earlier than you’re supposed to be, it’s unlikely you’ll be late then :smile:

Also education is not the only path to a good life, if you get kicked out you still have options especially if you’re still under 18.

I might complain to be honest. I’m going to try to leave earlier anyway and education isn’t always the path to a good life, look at ksi and all these YouTubers. My mate has no GCSEs and got a good life and hes got his own performance car
I know but it should be less strict imo

Unfortunately it is the college’s rules, and not your opinion that they follow. Your teacher was making you aware of the rules.
I doubt very much she just came out and said that she didn’t care if you were kicked out or not.
Unfortunately it is the college’s rules, and not your opinion that they follow. Your teacher was making you aware of the rules.
I doubt very much she just came out and said that she didn’t care if you were kicked out or not.

I dont think they are good rules and I think they shouldn’t be allowed to do that, I think I have rights as a student and yes she did say that
I might complain to be honest. I’m going to try to leave earlier anyway and education isn’t always the path to a good life, look at ksi and all these YouTubers. My mate has no GCSEs and got a good life and hes got his own performance car

I’m going to be brutally honest with you here, so please don’t take offence to this. The chances of you making it as a successful YouTuber, meaning that you make a high enough salary for that to be your only source of income, is incredibly low. By all means you might do it, and you’re welcome to come back here and ‘say told you so’, but please don’t put all of your hopes in this.

Whilst education isn’t the only option, quitting it without any replacement lined up is foolhardy and will only see you in a worse of position than you are now.

So what are your options then? You either need to start getting more organised, arriving earlier and motivating yourself to stick it out, as the benefit at the end will definitely be worth it. Or, you look for an apprenticeship, which allows you to earn whilst you learn, although a lot of apprentices are losing their jobs due to Coronavirus so keep that in mind. Finally, you learn a trade. Learn to be an electrician or plumber, and despite guaranteeing severe back pain in about 30 years and throughout your entire retirement, the salary is fairly decent as you get to demand a price (within reason).

So then, think this through carefully, as like my Dad always says to me, you work until you are 65, so make sure it’s a job you enjoy and are excited for in a morning, otherwise it’s going to be a long 48 years.
Original post by Joel746
I’m going to be brutally honest with you here, so please don’t take offence to this. The chances of you making it as a successful YouTuber, meaning that you make a high enough salary for that to be your only source of income, is incredibly low. By all means you might do it, and you’re welcome to come back here and ‘say told you so’, but please don’t put all of your hopes in this.

Whilst education isn’t the only option, quitting it without any replacement lined up is foolhardy and will only see you in a worse of position than you are now.

So what are your options then? You either need to start getting more organised, arriving earlier and motivating yourself to stick it out, as the benefit at the end will definitely be worth it. Or, you look for an apprenticeship, which allows you to earn whilst you learn, although a lot of apprentices are losing their jobs due to Coronavirus so keep that in mind. Finally, you learn a trade. Learn to be an electrician or plumber, and despite guaranteeing severe back pain in about 30 years and throughout your entire retirement, the salary is fairly decent as you get to demand a price (within reason).

So then, think this through carefully, as like my Dad always says to me, you work until you are 65, so make sure it’s a job you enjoy and are excited for in a morning, otherwise it’s going to be a long 48 years.

I didn’t say I wanted to be a successful YouTuber ffs and I’m just going to improve. My options are I can try hard to not be late but if I get kicked out I’ll have to just find something else.
I dont think they are good rules and I think they shouldn’t be allowed to do that, I think I have rights as a student and yes she did say that

Of course you have rights as a student -but they don’t include the “right” to be late. You have the right to follow the rules that the school sets out for you to follow, if you don’t then they have the right to withdraw you from class.
Now pick yourself up, prepare better that you aren’t late and get your education.
Reply 14
Tbh, I agree with what your college is doing. Yes, things don't always fall under your control and that can be explained to the teachers if necessary. But the general excuses such as the one you mentioned should help you fix up, or you can just leave if you don't like it.
Of course you have rights as a student -but they don’t include the “right” to be late. You have the right to follow the rules that the school sets out for you to follow, if you don’t then they have the right to withdraw you from class.
Now pick yourself up, prepare better that you aren’t late and get your education.

Reported
I didn’t say I wanted to be a successful YouTuber ffs and I’m just going to improve. My options are I can try hard to not be late but if I get kicked out I’ll have to just find something else.

Look, you asked for our advice, if you don’t like what I have to say then don’t post something like this. Frankly, it’s a waste of my time and yours.

Just ‘finding something else’ is not a good work ethic, and it’s not going to help you now or later on in life. The options I have provided would be good ideas to look into if you don’t want to continue with education. Take it or leave it, it’s your choice.

I fully agree with Gabi here, if you’re late to school then you need to be the one to change that by setting off earlier. I don’t agree with your teacher, but you can at least try to ask for the schools rules/policies, as well as filing a complaint.
Reported

And if you are seriously reporting someone for giving advice that you asked for, then I’m sure I speak for most people on TSR when I say that we don’t want you here.
Original post by Joel746
And if you are seriously reporting someone for giving advice that you asked for, then I’m sure I speak for most people on TSR when I say that we don’t want you here.

Not constructive advice
Not constructive advice

Then good luck finding someone to offer anything else. If you are so immature that you fail to accept criticism and advice, then your chances of getting an apprenticeship or any other line of employment are minimal.

Best of luck to you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending