The Student Room Group

Cambridge Demystified - Biological Natural Sciences

Introduction:
I have attended non-selective state schools my whole life, achieving 999998776 at GCSE. At A level I was studying Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths (FS1 and FS2).

Why did you want to study your subject?

Spoiler

Why Cambridge?

Spoiler

Did any of your teachers inspire you? Or any other expert (TV presenter etc)

Spoiler

Which resources did you use (please name as many as possible) Which books/journals did you read? Which did you like best, and why? What did they teach you?

Spoiler

Did you attend any lectures, or take part in any competitions? If so, would you recommend them, and why?

Spoiler

Did you have any work experience? If so, how did you find it?

Spoiler

What did you mention in your personal statement and why?

Spoiler

Which techniques did you use for the entrance test?

Spoiler

How did you choose your college? Did you go to an open day and if so, did it help you to decide?

Spoiler

How did you find the interview process? (NO INTERVIEW QUESTIONS PLEASE - this is against TSR guidelines)

Spoiler

Any interview tips?

Spoiler

How did you feel after the interviews?

Spoiler

Where were you when you got your offer? How did you react?

Spoiler

Are you looking forward to coming up to Cambridge?

Of course! It’s the best university in the country and I enjoy learning.

Other users' suggestions:
Life on the Edge: The Coming of Age of Quantum Biology (Jim Al-Khalili and Johnjoe McFadden)

@Oxford Mum
(edited 3 years ago)
@Theloniouss
@Reality Check

Thank you very much for your wonderful chapter, Theloniouss!

So a few words:

I love the fact that you decided to apply to Cambridge almost on a whim, because it would be "nice to know if I was good enough". Readers of this chapter take note, if you are curious and clever, have a go! I dread to think of all the people who did not apply, despite being good enough, because they didn't have your attitude.

Thank you very much for explaining the difference between NatSci and, say, biology at Oxford. I must say, those who do end up studying Natsci at Cambridge absolutely swear by it and are glad they did not apply to Oxford. Yes it is more flexible, but others, who just one to stick to just one scientific subject, tend to look at Oxford.

The inspirational teacher is often lauded by chapter writers. Thanks to your teacher, you went from hating biology to loving it, to getting a place at Cambridge for it. I would love to shake this teacher's hand, they are a credit to their profession.

You list some fantastic books and resources here!

On your PS you mentioned teaching yourself FS1 and FS2. This "self directed study", as Oxbridge calls is, is highly prized by both great unis. You did something outside school because you wanted to, and on your own initiative.

Also you "discussed areas of biology I had personally researched". Again, this is vital in getting an Oxbridge offer. Nobody can rely completely on their A levels to get in, even if you get 100% for them!

You found the interview "challenging" but you "enjoyed answering" the questions. Again, this is the perfect attitude.

I say to every applicant, forget the worry that you may not get in and try to enjoy having a conversation about the subject you love with the admissions tutors.
Thanks for this chapter - NatSci is quite popular, so I’m sure many people will find this helpful! I especially liked your tips about the NSAA, and wow, well done completing all those MOOCs! You clearly love the course. Good luck with everything :h:
Fantastic guide! Just thought I'd mention one book that loads of bionatscis seem to have read:

Life on the Edge: The Coming of Age of Quantum Biology - by Jim Al-Khalili and Johnjoe McFadden.

The book is an approachable introduction to biophysics, which is a very exciting emerging field. I've been recommended it by several people (especially in first year when I was taking both physics and biology of cells) and there's stuff in there e.g. about how the quantum mechanical phenomenon of quantum tunnelling is critical for the action of the electron transport chain which is a key structure involved in aerobic respiration!

I'm afraid to say, however, that I haven't actually read it yet... but I am assured by many people that it is an excellent interdisciplinary book!
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by K-Man_PhysCheM
Fantastic guide! Just thought I'd mention one book that loads of bionatscis seem to have read:

Life on the Edge: The Coming of Age of Quantum Biology - by Jim Al-Khalili and Johnjoe McFadden.

The book is an approachable introduction to biophysics, which is a very exciting emerging field. I've been recommended it by several people (especially in first year when I was taking both physics and biology of cells) and there's stuff in there e.g. about how the quantum mechanical phenomenon of quantum tunnelling is critical for the action of the electron transport chain which is a key structure involved in aerobic respiration!

I'm afraid to say, however, that I haven't actually read it yet... but I am assured by many people that it is an excellent interdisciplinary book!

I've added it at the end and will certainly consider reading it. Sounds interesting
Hi! I was wondering if I’d have a chance of getting an offer for biological natural sciences without having done maths at as or a-level? My a-levels are biology, Chemistry and psychology.
Original post by Academicbee123
Hi! I was wondering if I’d have a chance of getting an offer for biological natural sciences without having done maths at as or a-level? My a-levels are biology, Chemistry and psychology.

Maths is not required, so you certainly have a chance.
Original post by Theloniouss
Maths is not required, so you certainly have a chance.

Do you know anyone on your course without maths? I’ve been told by other people I have no chance because I’ve not done maths since GCSE.
Do you know anyone on your course without maths? I’ve been told by other people I have no chance because I’ve not done maths since GCSE.

I don't, but I don't know many other people on my course (as I'm an offer holder). My brother assures me there are a number of Bio Natscis without Maths A level (he's a 2nd year doing Physical Natural Sciences). You'd be in the minority, but if it was required they would tell you. You might want to brush up on statistics with an online course or something.
I don't, but I don't know many other people on my course (as I'm an offer holder). My brother assures me there are a number of Bio Natscis without Maths A level (he's a 2nd year doing Physical Natural Sciences). You'd be in the minority, but if it was required they would tell you. You might want to brush up on statistics with an online course or something.

Thank you, that’s reassuring! Could they make me do maths questions during interview?
Thank you, that’s reassuring! Could they make me do maths questions during interview?

They will probably tailor interview questions to what you should be capable of. If you haven't done A level maths they won't ask you to integrate or differentiate (etc.) because obviously you can't do that. They might ask you to do GCSE maths, as you will need some maths for a Biology degree.
Reply 12

I knew a few students who got in without Maths A-Level. They were definitely quite rare, in the total Natural Sciences intake of ~700 (presumably around 300 bio or so) - I think about 10-15 got in without it.

While there is flexibility in bio for not requiring Maths A-Level, I think they would want to see evidence of the ability to think mathematically and use models and perhaps apply some rudimentary statistics. If maths was flagged as a weakness at interview this could easily be the deciding point for a rejection - because Biological Sciences do require quite a strong Mathematical ability (strong relative to the average person, not necessarily strong relative to top STEM students applying for uni).
Original post by R T
I knew a few students who got in without Maths A-Level. They were definitely quite rare, in the total Natural Sciences intake of ~700 (presumably around 300 bio or so) - I think about 10-15 got in without it.

While there is flexibility in bio for not requiring Maths A-Level, I think they would want to see evidence of the ability to think mathematically and use models and perhaps apply some rudimentary statistics. If maths was flagged as a weakness at interview this could easily be the deciding point for a rejection - because Biological Sciences do require quite a strong Mathematical ability (strong relative to the average person, not necessarily strong relative to top STEM students applying for uni).

so would AS level maths suffice?
Reply 14
Original post by mpaprika
so would AS level maths suffice?

AS is better than nothing, and A2 is better than AS. But neither AS nor A2 maths is required for biological natural sciences - they are simply helpful and useful.
I've just spotted this unofficial offer-holders guide in my bookmarks, might well be useful to anyone looking for wider reading etc. (no idea where I got it, unfortunately)
I've just spotted this unofficial offer-holders guide in my bookmarks, might well be useful to anyone looking for wider reading etc. (no idea where I got it, unfortunately)

Excellent, thanks
I thought I'd already mentioned it here, but a good source I've found after my interview is the LMB's insight on research page. They're short, accessible (but still challenging) articles about the LMB's research - lots of important stuff going on there.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending