The Student Room Group

Applying to unis

Hey guys I'm applying for physics but not too sure if I should apply for Durham and St Andrews

I just did my mocks and I think I'm going to be predicted A*AA/AAA
physics at Durham is A*A*A and St andrews is AAA acceptance rate at at Andrew is really low but Durham is decent

I'm also thinking of leeds, Lancaster and York
Help!!
Reply 1
I believe that give Durham a shot. As you have the opportunity to apply to 5 unis, in my opinion, choose 1dream university, 2 Russel group unis, 1 where you have a chance of getting in and an extra safety university where you are sure that they will accept you.
Best advice for 5 choices =

1 just above your predicted grades - ie. one grade and not in a vital subject. Risky but worth a shot.
3 at your predicted grades - you stand the best chance of getting offers for these 'realistic' choices
1 below your predicted grades - this is your back-stop Insurance choice for if it alls goes wrong in August.
Original post by rehena12
Hey guys I'm applying for physics but not too sure if I should apply for Durham and St Andrews

physics at Durham is A*A*A and St andrews is AAA acceptance rate at at Andrew is really low but Durham is decent

Help!!

Go for Durham. The likelyhood is you will get rejected but even if you do you have 3 good options.
Original post by rehena12

Help!!

We have been to Leeds, Lancaster and York on open days with my daughter . (she applied to Lancaster, York, Leceister and Oxford, and had interviews at Lancaster, York and Oxford)..... And, its for Physics too (particle and cosmology), so any questions, let me know :smile:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6562744 this thread I made got pics of open days and the whole process of applying and interviews and the process from 2018 open days to summer school and present day. Although i really should be reporting on her freshers week. They have put on an amazing freshers program considering covid is about.

She got A*A*AA (her moderated grades were A*AAA ,but awarded her CAG was A*A*AA) (entrance for masters at lancaster is AAA, AAB for bsc) and has started her first week saturday just gone.
Original post by McGinger
Best advice for 5 choices =

1 just above your predicted grades - ie. one grade and not in a vital subject. Risky but worth a shot.
3 at your predicted grades - you stand the best chance of getting offers for these 'realistic' choices
1 below your predicted grades - this is your back-stop Insurance choice for if it alls goes wrong in August.

100%, daughter did something similar.
She chose oxford A*AA . she had higher predicted grades, but still was her aspirational uni because its still hard to get into.

then her other choices were
Lancaster Physics with Astrophysics AAA
Lancaster Physics, Particle physics and Cosmology AAA
York Physics with Astrophysics AAA

Then her option if things all went downhill in year 13 was:
Leicester Physics with Astrophysics ABB

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending