The Student Room Group

UCAS Entry Requirements

I received my A-levels this year and achieved BBB with an AS which i got a D in, when choosing universities and putting them onto my UCAS application how high and low should i vary my university choices, e.g. i was going to apply to Loughborough whos entry grades for my topic of interest is ABB, Cardiff with ABB-BBB, Sussex with ABB-BBB, East Anglia with BBB and Nottingham Trent with BBC, is this too aspirational is what im basically asking?? Thank you :smile:

im applying for 2021 entry
Original post by HelpMeGod
I received my A-levels this year and achieved BBB with an AS which i got a D in, when choosing universities and putting them onto my UCAS application how high and low should i vary my university choices, e.g. i was going to apply to Loughborough whos entry grades for my topic of interest is ABB, Cardiff with ABB-BBB, Sussex with ABB-BBB, East Anglia with BBB and Nottingham Trent with BBC, is this too aspirational is what im basically asking?? Thank you :smile:

Hello, given that you already know your A level grades, you can definitely make a more informed choice as to which universities to apply to. While, universities do tend to stick to their grade requirements (with a one grade lower than normal offer for your first/ firm choice university course), some universities to take other factors beside your grades into consideration, such as your family financial/ cultural background, medical & mental health history, quality of personal statement, and so on... For instance, Sussex University does make contextual offers to some students, who may have not met the standard entry requirements, but who have nevertheless shown potential to do well on the course they have applied for. Thus, it is useful to research which universities make contextual offers.

Also, it is the case that every year, most universities offer university courses through Clearing Application Process, with reduced grade offers, so while you may not meet the entry requirements during the standard university application cycle, you may still be given a chance to study your course of choice through Clearing. However, I would still advice to apply to your preferred 5 institutions during the main application cycle, since the reduced grade offers subject to Clearing procedures will still apply to you as someone who has selected a set university as their firm choice. And, of course if you are a firm applicant, there are certain advantages such as being able to access guaranteed on-campus university accommodation, while the same benefits may not offered to Clearing Students. You will also be able to "shop around" and potentially drop your firm choice course, choosing to apply somewhere else through Clearing - so, you always have other options and can change your mind about where to study, and what course you would like to do!

Saying all of that, since you already know your grades, probably one of the best things you could do is contact few universities that are of interest to you, and have an honest conversation with them as to whether they would consider you for a specific course, despite maybe not fully meeting their entry criteria.

I hope this provides you with some valuable information. Let me know if you need me to clarify anything, or if you have any further questions :smile:

Best Wishes,
Kasia (4th Year Medical Neuroscience Student (MSCI) with a Year Abroad)
Reply 2
Original post by University of Sussex Official Reps
Hello, given that you already know your A level grades, you can definitely make a more informed choice as to which universities to apply to. While, universities do tend to stick to their grade requirements (with a one grade lower than normal offer for your first/ firm choice university course), some universities to take other factors beside your grades into consideration, such as your family financial/ cultural background, medical & mental health history, quality of personal statement, and so on... For instance, Sussex University does make contextual offers to some students, who may have not met the standard entry requirements, but who have nevertheless shown potential to do well on the course they have applied for. Thus, it is useful to research which universities make contextual offers.

Also, it is the case that every year, most universities offer university courses through Clearing Application Process, with reduced grade offers, so while you may not meet the entry requirements during the standard university application cycle, you may still be given a chance to study your course of choice through Clearing. However, I would still advice to apply to your preferred 5 institutions during the main application cycle, since the reduced grade offers subject to Clearing procedures will still apply to you as someone who has selected a set university as their firm choice. And, of course if you are a firm applicant, there are certain advantages such as being able to access guaranteed on-campus university accommodation, while the same benefits may not offered to Clearing Students. You will also be able to "shop around" and potentially drop your firm choice course, choosing to apply somewhere else through Clearing - so, you always have other options and can change your mind about where to study, and what course you would like to do!

Saying all of that, since you already know your grades, probably one of the best things you could do is contact few universities that are of interest to you, and have an honest conversation with them as to whether they would consider you for a specific course, despite maybe not fully meeting their entry criteria.

I hope this provides you with some valuable information. Let me know if you need me to clarify anything, or if you have any further questions :smile:

Best Wishes,
Kasia (4th Year Medical Neuroscience Student (MSCI) with a Year Abroad)

Thank you this helps a lot :smile:

It will largely depend on your subject but East Anglia and Cardiff based on previous years would likely accept you as I suspect would Sussex and Nottingham Trent. Loughborough might be risky but I would apply there anyway. I probably wouldnt go for Nottingham Trent but risk somewhere with BBB. If you get 5 rejections which is extremely unlikely you could apply to Trent through extra in February.
Reply 4
Original post by swanseajack1
It will largely depend on your subject but East Anglia and Cardiff based on previous years would likely accept you as I suspect would Sussex and Nottingham Trent. Loughborough might be risky but I would apply there anyway. I probably wouldnt go for Nottingham Trent but risk somewhere with BBB. If you get 5 rejections which is extremely unlikely you could apply to Trent through extra in February.

thank you :smile: i was looking over my choices and have decided to swap loughborough out for swansea as in my opinion it looks quite nice and considering it offers BBB for the course i am after it made me feel more confident applying
Reply 5
thank you :smile: i was looking over my choices and have decided to swap loughborough out for swansea as in my opinion it looks quite nice and considering it offers BBB for the course i am after it made me feel more confident applying

or should i swap nottingham trent for swansea instead? is trent not that good im finding it hard to make a confident decision considering i have not been able to visit any open days

The reality is that most years places like Cardiff and Swansea accept students below BBB so I would be fairly certain you would get an offer. If Loghborough is where you want to go to it is worth a try. Even if they reject you you are still likely to get offers from Swansea and Cardiff.
or should i swap nottingham trent for swansea instead? is trent not that good im finding it hard to make a confident decision considering i have not been able to visit any open days

Have you looked into virtual open days. What kind of place interests you. Cardiff, East Anglia, Sussex, East Anglia tend to be higher ranked than Nottingham Trent for most things.
Reply 8
Have you looked into virtual open days. What kind of place interests you. Cardiff, East Anglia, Sussex, East Anglia tend to be higher ranked than Nottingham Trent for most things.

I've watched a few virtual open days but I was wondering if I could get a more instant opinion by researching online as my school in which I'm applying through does their UCAS process quite early compared to others from what I know, so my deadline is the 23rd of October and a majority of open days are on Saturdays when I'm working so its a little inconvenient aha :smile:. My teachers are quite slow in replying to emails so I haven't received a reply on whether I should apply to Uni's with the grades I have or be safe and apply to one lower Uni such as Nottingham Trent, the Uni I want to go to the most is Cardiff but that's because its the only one I've been able to visit and its the closest to where I live, as well as an interest in their course
I've watchearchd a few virtual open days but I was wondering if I could get a more instant opinion by researching online as my school in which I'm applying through does their UCAS process quite early compared to others from what I know, so my deadline is the 23rd of October and a majority of open days are on Saturdays when I'm working so its a little inconvenient aha :smile:. My teachers are quite slow in replying to emails so I haven't received a reply on whether I should apply to Uni's with the grades I have or be safe and apply to one lower Uni such as Nottingham Trent, the Uni I want to go to the most is Cardiff but that's because its the only one I've been able to visit and its the closest to where I live, as well as an interest in their course

Here are a couple of videos. They are a bit old but might give you an idea
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=city+guide+to+swansea&&view=detail&mid=62C23EC2735FFCEEFB0D62C23EC2735FFCEEFB0D&&FORM=VRDGAR4

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=students+in+swansea&&view=detail&mid=37899C6FD1C6882B36FF37899C6FD1C6882B36FF&&FORM=VRDGAR

These are students guides to Swansea. It is only an hour by train from Cardiff. You could just come down for the day and have a look around. It might not give you a full open day experience but you can just walk around. Where are you from and what subject are you intending to study. You can apply now and then go to visit days in March/April before making your decision.
Reply 10
Here are a couple of videos. They are a bit old but might give you an idea
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=city+guide+to+swansea&&view=detail&mid=62C23EC2735FFCEEFB0D62C23EC2735FFCEEFB0D&&FORM=VRDGAR4

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=students+in+swansea&&view=detail&mid=37899C6FD1C6882B36FF37899C6FD1C6882B36FF&&FORM=VRDGAR

These are students guides to Swansea. It is only an hour by train from Cardiff. You could just come down for the day and have a look around. It might not give you a full open day experience but you can just walk around. Where are you from and what subject are you intending to study. You can apply now and then go to visit days in March/April before making your decision.

Im from Bristol and intending to study History, planning to get my driving license soon as well so that will make it easier to go and visit the unis i apply to, thank you for your help :smile:
Im from Bristol and intending to study History, planning to get my driving license soon as well so that will make it easier to go and visit the unis i apply to, thank you for your help :smile:

Swansea is fairly easy to get to by train. About 1 and 1/2 hours from Bristol Parkway. You can get the number 4,8 or 10 buses outside the station to the campus. Loughborough, Sussex, Trent and East Anglia are more difficult to get to. You will probably get unconditional offers from both Cardiff and Swansea.Have you thought of Royal Holloway. It is fairly easy to get to by car from Bristol

Hi there, I appreciate it must be tricky trying to decide which universities to apply for. As mentioned by swanseajack1, I would try and attend as many open days as possible, even though these are virtual, which isn't ideal, but they'll give you a feel for the place and you'll be able to decide which ones suit you the most. You can find information on our open days here. You can chat live to academic staff and students and other departments across the university.

It's great to hear you are considering studying History at Loughborough and would encourage you to speak to our admissions department as they may look at BBB together with other requirements. I'll send you a private message.

Good luck!!
Bindu

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending