The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Can I get an offer for Chemistry at UCL with AAB?

I've been predicted two As in Chemistry and Maths but a B in Physics, and I'm working towards boosting it.

My dream is to study chemistry at UCL but it's entry requirements are AAA, so if it doesn't get boosted should I bother applying? A few teachers have seen my personal statement and have told me its excellent and an ideal application, but I'm still really worried I won't get an offer because of my predicted grades :frown:
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

If it's your dream then you will be able to do it. You have over 6 months to study hard and therefore do well in your exams. UCL is also 1 application out of the 5 so you have nothing to lose but all to gain.
If your teachers are also pushing you and think it's an ideal application then go for it, you might surprise yourself.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
universities sometimes give offers to students who are predicted one to two grades below the entry requirements (because universities know that schools can underpredict.)
Original post by Penny456
I've been predicted two As in Chemistry and Maths but a B in Physics, and I'm working towards boosting it.

My dream is to study chemistry at UCL but it's entry requirements are AAA, so if it doesn't get boosted should I bother applying? A few teachers have seen my personal statement and have told me its excellent and an ideal application, but I'm still really worried I won't get an offer because of my predicted grades :frown:

What are the downsides to applying? Essentially it's the loss of one of your five UCAS slots. If you choose your other four wisely then that is inconsequential.

Otoh, be aware that any UCL offer will be AAA, so think how you would approach selecting your firm and insurance in that circumstance.
Worth a go, but its risky so prepare yourself for No.
Just make sure your other choices are more realistic.
ucl accepts almost everyone who meets the entry requirements so try to see if it can be bumped up

Check if your eligible for Accsess to UCL?
Original post by royalty1702
ucl accepts almost everyone who meets the entry requirements so try to see if it can be bumped up

There is a big difference between getting an offer - and actually getting the grades.
Getting an offer does not = acceptance.
Original post by McGinger
There is a big difference between getting an offer - and actually getting the grades.
Getting an offer does not = acceptance.

yeah but if you study you'll get in simple!

If it was that simple TSR wouldn't be full of upset students on results day and Clearing wouldn't exist

Have you met students? They get an offer, think they can relax and fail the actual exam.
Or they work hard and something goes wrong on exam day. It’s not as black and white as students wish it was.
Original post by harrysbar
If it was that simple TSR wouldn't be full of upset students on results day and Clearing wouldn't exist

Well maybe they had a bad day or they were unlucky in the sense that the examiner marked their papers wrong. On the whole, if you work hard you will get the results you deserve
Original post by 5hyl33n
Have you met students? They get an offer, think they can relax and fail the actual exam.
Or they work hard and something goes wrong on exam day. It’s not as black and white as students wish it was.

yes that can happen but in most cases this should not be the issue as long as you put in the work
Reply 13

Sadly it's not that simple, I've been working so unbelievably hard and I've gotten As the whole of this year and my physics teacher still won't boost my grade up :frown:
Reply 14
Original post by Uzair63
Check if your eligible for Accsess to UCL?

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this, can you explain? sorry!
I'm not quite sure what you mean by this, can you explain? sorry!

It’s a widening participation programme that allows your grade requirements to drop by 2 grades, eg for an A*AA course it would be AAB
Reply 16
Original post by Uzair63
It’s a widening participation programme that allows your grade requirements to drop by 2 grades, eg for an A*AA course it would be AAB

Ooohh I get you, thanks :smile:
Sadly it's not that simple, I've been working so unbelievably hard and I've gotten As the whole of this year and my physics teacher still won't boost my grade up :frown:

your teachers is really silly then
Reply 18
your teachers is really silly then

Yh he's giving me a really hard time, but I'm going to speak to my head of year to sort it all out hopefully
Yh he's giving me a really hard time, but I'm going to speak to my head of year to sort it all out hopefully

in some schools if you get a B/C you get predicted an A*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending