The Student Room Group

Experience 🥺

Does anyone know where I can get virtual work experience for education?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
bump
Reply 2
Wdym?
Reply 4
Original post by sunny.side.up
Wdym?

I'm applying for education for uni
and I was wondering if you know which websites offer virtual work experience for it?
Original post by Anonymous
and I was wondering if you know which websites offer virtual work experience for it?

Oh, I'm not sure. Sorry. :frown:
Reply 6
Does anyone know where I can get virtual work experience for education?

What do you mean by virtual work experience? What would you be wanting to see or do?
Reply 7
Original post by L-K
What do you mean by virtual work experience? What would you be wanting to see or do?

Interaction with teachers, mentor younger students alongside teachers, get a reference from them for uni.
Reply 8
Interaction with teachers, mentor younger students alongside teachers, get a reference from them for uni.

I'm struggling to see how you would be able to see that virtually? It's business as usual in the vast majority of schools in the UK, with online elements for classes/year groups isolating. Much of what is online is also done asynchronously rather than synchronously, so there isn't always something to help with.
Plus teachers are very busy and stressed at the moment so are unlikely to agree to extra things such as setting up a webcam so you can observe a lesson.
I'm not trying to put down your enthusiasm, I just think this is probably not realistic.

Most teaching courses have waved any requirement to do work experience because of the pandemic, but will still expect you to know a bit about teaching. Why don't you read articles on tes and look on the EEF website to get some background info.

Edit: I am a teacher! Probably should have said that before.
(edited 3 years ago)
Tagging in @04MR17 as he might know something helpful

What type of course are you applying to?

BA Education?
PGCE?
BEd Primary Education (QTS)?
Original post by 04MR17
What type of course are you applying to?

BA Education?
PGCE?
BEd Primary Education (QTS)?

I'm applying for a mix of both BA Education and primary education (QTS). (Undergraduate btw)

So idk how I'm going to get work experience to put in my uni ps. I was supposed to get work experience over the summer but then COVID came along :s-smilie:
Original post by L-K
I'm struggling to see how you would be able to see that virtually? It's business as usual in the vast majority of schools in the UK, with online elements for classes/year groups isolating. Much of what is online is also done asynchronously rather than synchronously, so there isn't always something to help with.
Plus teachers are very busy and stressed at the moment so are unlikely to agree to extra things such as setting up a webcam so you can observe a lesson.
I'm not trying to put down your enthusiasm, I just think this is probably not realistic.

Most teaching courses have waved any requirement to do work experience because of the pandemic, but will still expect you to know a bit about teaching. Why don't you read articles on tes and look on the EEF website to get some background info.

Edit: I am a teacher! Probably should have said that before.

See that's the thing; I've contacted many schools and sure starts, but many of them aren't taking on student placements due to COVID. :frown: :sad:
How do you know that most education courses have waved any requirement to do work experience? :confused:

You're a teacher? Should have told me that before haha :smile: Do you teach secondary or primary?
I'm applying for a mix of both BA Education and primary education (QTS). (Undergraduate btw)

So idk how I'm going to get work experience to put in my uni ps. I was supposed to get work experience over the summer but then COVID came along :s-smilie:
Why? Those are two very different courses with two significantly different career outcomes.
Original post by 04MR17
Why? Those are two very different courses with two significantly different career outcomes.

Are they not similar courses? :confused:
I'm sure you can become a teacher with an education degree?
Give a look on Coursera.
my work experience was cancelled because of stupid covid
my school is doing online work experience but for nurses
but tha isn the feild i wanna go in.
sooo
**** you stupid coronavirus
Original post by The Real Me
my work experience was cancelled because of stupid covid
my school is doing online work experience but for nurses
but tha isn the feild i wanna go in.
sooo
**** you stupid coronavirus

Are you going to uni next year?
If so what course are you applying for?:smile:

Haha your right, if only COVID never came along :sad:
Are they not similar courses? :confused:
I'm sure you can become a teacher with an education degree?
No.

Primary Education (QTS) is an extended training course for Primary Teachers.

BA Education is a holistic degree course studying the philosophical, psychological, political and historical aspects of education. The majority of work you will be doing here is on debates about education and educational research on a very varied platform. This is not a course on how to be a teacher and if you go into it thinking that then you will have dropped out by November.

You can become a teacher with any degree, provided you get QTS through some other means (E. G. PGCE), but make sure those three years are spent doing something you know you'll enjoy.
(edited 3 years ago)
Are you going to uni next year?
If so what course are you applying for?:smile:

Haha your right, if only COVID never came along :sad:

no i am not going to uni infact i am far off uni
im in year11
my year 10 work experience got cancelled
sorry i thought you were talking about secondary school work experience
i shall leave now

Quick Reply

Latest