The Student Room Group

Strathclyde University Personal Statement Word Limit

I have a 500 word personal statement I have been using to apply for my postgraduate courses. But Strathclyde University appears to have a limit of 160 words! No idea how I can even say what I want to say with so few sentences. Is this normal? Stressed out about how I can even attempt such a small summery of what I want to accomplish, why I want to study there, why that course, my skills, experience and all that normally included etc. Nightmare.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by jonnystudent21
I have a 500 word personal statement I have been using to apply for my postgraduate courses. But Strathclyde University appears to have a limit of 160 words! No idea how I can even say what I want to say with so few sentences. Is this normal? Stressed out about how I can even attempt such a small summery of what I want to accomplish, why I want to study there, why that course, my skills, experience and all that normally included etc. Nightmare.

Hey @jonnystudent21 ! Sorry I've just found this thread from a few days ago! How did you get on with this? Which course is it you're hoping to apply for? I'd maybe advise getting in touch with the department directly to ask for any clarification on the application process. Perhaps if you feel your fuller statement shows more of your potential etc, you could ask if you're able to send this separately?
- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
Original post by University of Strathclyde
Hey @jonnystudent21 ! Sorry I've just found this thread from a few days ago! How did you get on with this? Which course is it you're hoping to apply for? I'd maybe advise getting in touch with the department directly to ask for any clarification on the application process. Perhaps if you feel your fuller statement shows more of your potential etc, you could ask if you're able to send this separately?

Hi, Caitlin. It all worked out and I was given an offer conditional on submission of my references. While you're here - can I just ask, if you happen to know, how long do I have to chase up my referees? I know one of them has been submitted, but my other referee still has not submitted the reference. I will wait a few more days as I am hesitant to pester him with an email. However I am a bit worried of losing my place on the course if it takes too long - how long do I have to sort this? Thanks
Hi, Caitlin. It all worked out and I was given an offer conditional on submission of my references. While you're here - can I just ask, if you happen to know, how long do I have to chase up my referees? I know one of them has been submitted, but my other referee still has not submitted the reference. I will wait a few more days as I am hesitant to pester him with an email. However I am a bit worried of losing my place on the course if it takes too long - how long do I have to sort this? Thanks

Hello! Oh fantastic, glad to hear it :biggrin: Congrats on your offer @jonnystudent21.

Are you hoping to start one of our courses in January and this is why you are concerned about the timings of your reference? I'm sure unless you have been told otherwise from the department that it will just be a case of getting the references submitted as soon as you can. If your references were needed urgently and were needed promptly I'm sure they would have flagged this to you at some point throughout the application. For a January start, you still have plenty of time and if the other one is in process hopefully it won't take too long.

My advice would be not to worry and just submit it when you can, but if you're in any doubt then contact the department directly to ask. If you need any of the department details let me know which course you're applying to and I'll pass on the best email to contact :smile:

Hello! Oh fantastic, glad to hear it :biggrin: Congrats on your offer @jonnystudent21.

Are you hoping to start one of our courses in January and this is why you are concerned about the timings of your reference? I'm sure unless you have been told otherwise from the department that it will just be a case of getting the references submitted as soon as you can. If your references were needed urgently and were needed promptly I'm sure they would have flagged this to you at some point throughout the application. For a January start, you still have plenty of time and if the other one is in process hopefully it won't take too long.

My advice would be not to worry and just submit it when you can, but if you're in any doubt then contact the department directly to ask. If you need any of the department details let me know which course you're applying to and I'll pass on the best email to contact :smile:

Thanks Caitlin, my course actually starts next September but I'm just a bit paranoid of having the offer rescinded if I take too long! Hopefully the reference is submitted soon! Cheers
Reply 5

Is it 160 words?
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by snakeswolf
Is it 160 words?

Hello! Which course are you applying to and I can check with the admissions teams for you if you're having issues with the application? 🙂

Caitlin 🎓️
Reply 7
Hello! Which course are you applying to and I can check with the admissions teams for you if you're having issues with the application? 🙂

Caitlin 🎓️

Hello Caitlin!
I checked with the university, I have a limit for 500-750 words.

Thank you for getting back to me!

Have a lovely day!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending