The Student Room Group

EPQ potential idea but need lots of help please lol thanks :)

Hi,

I've chosen to do an EPQ along with my A-levels because I think it'll be interesting (I hope it will anyway) but I'm having trouble narrowing it down and coming up with a title.

My initial idea was "Should we ever clone humans?" but I think I'd rather do something about genetic engineering or gene therapy however I really really want to include religious ideas/religion in general in my EPQ too.

At the moment I'm struggling to combine the two and figure out the possible layout of my EPQ if I go with that idea and I could really do with some help.

Or if any of you guys have any cool chemistry-related EPQ ideas that would me very much appreciated too :smile:

Thank You!
Original post by plshelpmelol
Hi,

I've chosen to do an EPQ along with my A-levels because I think it'll be interesting (I hope it will anyway) but I'm having trouble narrowing it down and coming up with a title.

My initial idea was "Should we ever clone humans?" but I think I'd rather do something about genetic engineering or gene therapy however I really really want to include religious ideas/religion in general in my EPQ too.

At the moment I'm struggling to combine the two and figure out the possible layout of my EPQ if I go with that idea and I could really do with some help.

Or if any of you guys have any cool chemistry-related EPQ ideas that would me very much appreciated too :smile:

Thank You!

So this sounds like such a cool idea!! First off there is a book with a similar concept, fiction but still interesting, Never let me go by Kasuo Ishiguro. So you could talk about the idea of cloning humans and then making improvements to the clone's body, for the eventual take over of the clone, or the clone donating body parts to the original person, this features in the novel i recommended. This can then allow you to bring in the moral/religious/ethical side and viewpoint, as it can allow for the exploration of the rights of the clone etc, and since a clone would have to be built/grown in a lab how would more traditional religious people react? I hope i helped!!
Original post by theblondemo
So this sounds like such a cool idea!! First off there is a book with a similar concept, fiction but still interesting, Never let me go by Kasuo Ishiguro. So you could talk about the idea of cloning humans and then making improvements to the clone's body, for the eventual take over of the clone, or the clone donating body parts to the original person, this features in the novel i recommended. This can then allow you to bring in the moral/religious/ethical side and viewpoint, as it can allow for the exploration of the rights of the clone etc, and since a clone would have to be built/grown in a lab how would more traditional religious people react? I hope i helped!!

Yes, you definitely helped thank you! I just looked into that book and it seems so cool and it gave me an idea to talk about issues of attachment with clones too. Thank you so so much.

However, I'm unsure if I'll be able to talk about that because I do psychology too and attachment is a whole topic but I'll defo ask my psychology teacher.

Can I ask if you did an EPQ/are doing one now?

Thank you again!!!!! :smile:
Yes, you definitely helped thank you! I just looked into that book and it seems so cool and it gave me an idea to talk about issues of attachment with clones too. Thank you so so much.

However, I'm unsure if I'll be able to talk about that because I do psychology too and attachment is a whole topic but I'll defo ask my psychology teacher.

Can I ask if you did an EPQ/are doing one now?

Thank you again!!!!! :smile:

Yes, I'm currently doing an EPQ, though on a vastly different topic to yours aha. I'm exploring how selective breeding effects the health of various dog breeds and how said dog breeds came to be. I'm going down a genetics route since i find it interesting and also talking about how the internet has impacted on breed popularity and hence the breeding standards of popular breeds. I don't think you're allowed to do a topic directly related to the course you take but (ie if you do history and Henry the eighth came up, you couldn't do your EPQ on him), you'd have to check and see whether you can. I hope it all goes well and i can help later if you need me to!!
Woah I'm so bad at replies lol. Your idea seems so cool and it's definitely original. When is your deadline for your finished project and have you started researching?

Yes, I asked my teacher and I'm not allowed to talk about the attachment idea unfortunately :frown:. It's such a shame because the idea you gave me had lots of research potential but oh well.

I've decided to stick with my original title/topic and I'll include religious views about human cloning rather than doing it about genetic engineering.

As you can tell I'm such a bad replier but likewise if you need any help please ask because I'm sure it'll motivate me too lol.
Hope you have a nice day! :smile:
Woah I'm so bad at replies lol. Your idea seems so cool and it's definitely original. When is your deadline for your finished project and have you started researching?

Yes, I asked my teacher and I'm not allowed to talk about the attachment idea unfortunately :frown:. It's such a shame because the idea you gave me had lots of research potential but oh well.

I've decided to stick with my original title/topic and I'll include religious views about human cloning rather than doing it about genetic engineering.

As you can tell I'm such a bad replier but likewise if you need any help please ask because I'm sure it'll motivate me too lol.

We haven't been given a deadline as of yet, but they want us finished for roughly November of next year. Yours sounds super cool too, i hope it all goes well!!
Original post by theblondemo
We haven't been given a deadline as of yet, but they want us finished for roughly November of next year. Yours sounds super cool too, i hope it all goes well!!

Thank you, you too!!
Reply 7

Hi do u still have ur EPQ I'm interested in ur idea n I need some guidance

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending