The Student Room Group

I’m struggling to get funded by student finance

Hello everyone, hope someone can help

So I am studying Social Work at Coventry University, I started on September 2020 intake. I am an EU student concretely from Spain, I decides to study this year because due to brexit Europeans can’t get funded by student finance from 2021, so this is was my last chance

I had to apply through postal mail as I haven’t been living in the UK for +5 years. My studies in Spain are Bachillerato- level 3/ a levels and Ciclo formativo de grado superior de animación sociocultural y turistica (it’s around level 3,4,5) I am not sure yet as I have to wait until receive a document with its equivalence from Naric

So when I applies for student finance through postal mail in my qualifications section I put a bachelor because I thought bachelor=bachillerato due to the language barrier , so I was totally wrong, I had a mistake as everyone does at some point. So from Student Finance they believe I actually have a bachelor degree which it means I wouldn’t be eligible to apply for student finnace, so they asked me to send my qualifications to them in order to proof I don’t have a bachelor degree

There has been no problem with my bachillerato/a levels qualification, however, with my studies ciclo de grado superior they are assuming it’s a higher qualification, but I am sure is not higher than level 5. Also, it’s also consider as vocational course and they use to be a level 3/4. I still have to wait for the document from naric and send it to them in order to proceed

In the case I end up being level 4 i wouldnt be eligible as I already have an equivalence of the first year, but I will be eligible for the second and third year

One thing I would like to mention is I have been chatting with some people who also have level 4 and they’re eligible for getting funded the whole lenght of the course , 3 years

When i enrolled to uni on august I think, as a payment method i selected of course student finance. And If I am not suppose to be eligible I think that someone from staff have should let me know before? As from the Uni they were aware of my qualifications

Is there any solution or alternative? Can someone help me with this issue
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by clarapupi98
Hello everyone, hope someone can help

So I am studying Social Work at Coventry University, I started on September 2020 intake. I am an EU student concretely from Spain, I decides to study this year because due to brexit Europeans can’t get funded by student finance from 2021, so this is was my last chance

I had to apply through postal mail as I haven’t been living in the UK for +5 years. My studies in Spain are Bachillerato- level 3/ a levels and Ciclo formativo de grado superior de animación sociocultural y turistica (it’s around level 3,4,5) I am not sure yet as I have to wait until receive a document with its equivalence from Naric

So when I applies for student finance through postal mail in my qualifications section I put a bachelor because I thought bachelor=bachillerato due to the language barrier , so I was totally wrong, I had a mistake as everyone does at some point. So from Student Finance they believe I actually have a bachelor degree which it means I wouldn’t be eligible to apply for student finnace, so they asked me to send my qualifications to them in order to proof I don’t have a bachelor degree

There has been no problem with my bachillerato/a levels qualification, however, with my studies ciclo de grado superior they are assuming it’s a higher qualification, but I am sure is not higher than level 5. Also, it’s also consider as vocational course and they use to be a level 3/4. I still have to wait for the document from naric and send it to them in order to proceed

In the case I end up being level 4 i wouldnt be eligible as I already have an equivalence of the first year, but I will be eligible for the second and third year

One thing I would like to mention is I have been chatting with some people who also have level 4 and they’re eligible for getting funded the whole lenght of the course , 3 years

When i enrolled to uni on august I think, as a payment method i selected of course student finance. And If I am not suppose to be eligible I think that someone from staff have should let me know before? As from the Uni they were aware of my qualifications

Is there any solution or alternative? Can someone help me with this issue

Hi clarapupi98,

As you have already started the course, I suggest you contact the university's finance team on the below contact information. They should be able to help you further. If not, you may have to contact your finance provider directly.

[email protected]
02477 652040

I hope this helps!

Amy
Coventry University - Coventry
Biomedical Science Student

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending