The Student Room Group

Will student finance support my PGCE/PGDE?

Hi, huge thanks to anyone who can help. I've started looking into my plans post graduating now as I've finished my second year. I've always wanted to do a PGCE and get into teaching, however I'm now worried student finance won't support me with this as apparently despite it being a post graduate course, it counts as undergraduate when applying for finance and I think I've reached my limit for undergraduate finance.

for context, I started university during covid but after 2.5 months (before the second sf payment) had to drop out for a number of reasons as I struggled from a mental health point of view and it just wasn't an enjoyable experience. since then I have started again elsewhere and just completed my second year, I love the course and have been doing well mainly receiving firsts in assignments. this means ill have used a full 3 years plus one I believe.

Will student finance still support me here or is there anything I can do to?

thanks so much
(edited 11 months ago)
Teacher training funding is undergraduate levels but also exempt from rules around previous study. It doesn’t matter if you have 3 or 30 years of previous study.
Original post by willc27
Hi, huge thanks to anyone who can help. I've started looking into my plans post graduating now as I've finished my second year. I've always wanted to do a PGCE and get into teaching, however I'm now worried student finance won't support me with this as apparently despite it being a post graduate course, it counts as undergraduate when applying for finance and I think I've reached my limit for undergraduate finance.

for context, I started university during covid but after 2.5 months (before the second sf payment) had to drop out for a number of reasons as I struggled from a mental health point of view and it just wasn't an enjoyable experience. since then I have started again elsewhere and just completed my second year, I love the course and have been doing well mainly receiving firsts in assignments. this means ill have used a full 3 years plus one I believe.

Will student finance still support me here or is there anything I can do to?

thanks so much

Hi there, PCGE courses are undergraduate funded and are generally assessed as an exception course. This means generally your previous study isn't taken into account when applying for this course and means you should be eligible to receive full funding for your course. I would advise to submit an application for funding as soon as possible for the team to review and confirm your eligibility for funding. Thanks, Karen

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending