The Student Room Group

Glasses thickness

I am after a prescription pair of glasses and when choosing a frame I have chosen Ray Ban's Clubmaster. My issue is whether to get from Rayban's official website or an alternative website called Thinlenses I have found. To have thinner lenses would it be better to go for Rayban's premium ultra thin lenses or ThinLenses' exact same frame in 1.9 high index? Consider the fact that when asking Rayban what index their lenses are they said 1.74 I believe
Reply 1
Another thing, which is thinner 1.9 high index lenses or polycarbonate lenses?
i have a stronger than average prescription, clubmaster glasses and did not get the 'thin' upgrade on my glasses - even at the thickest part of the lens, my glasses are not noticeably thick or heavy so i'd suggest going for whatever you like
Reply 3
Original post by HoldThisL
i have a stronger than average prescription, clubmaster glasses and did not get the 'thin' upgrade on my glasses - even at the thickest part of the lens, my glasses are not noticeably thick or heavy so i'd suggest going for whatever you like

is your idea of average prescription circa -10?
Original post by Anonymous
is your idea of average prescription circa -10?

ah right that's quite a bit stronger than mine

its still the case that the thickest part of the lens is typically well hidden by the frame (the top corners by the arm hinges) however i've no idea what a -10 lens looks like so i won't speculate
Reply 5
Original post by HoldThisL
ah right that's quite a bit stronger than mine

its still the case that the thickest part of the lens is typically well hidden by the frame (the top corners by the arm hinges) however i've no idea what a -10 lens looks like so i won't speculate

Rayban official lenses tend to be polycarbonate which i am unsure about in comparison to glass lenses and not just glass lenses but high index 1.9 hmm
Reply 6
1.9 will be thinner than poly for any prescription over -8.
1.74 can be thinner than 1.9 depending on the base of the lens and the size of the frame. 1.9 will be much heavier though.

Quick Reply

Latest