The Student Room Group

doing the personal statement

So I'm finally getting my s*** together and writing my statement. My school has given me a general guide were you do the intro, a para on academics and anther para on work experience, volunteering etc and a final para on other things and skills. However I have no work experience or volunteering so I don't know what to do now for that para as I want to apply as soon as possible (before Christmas preferably). Is there any value to that para, what could I do now in such a short time? Any advice is welcome.
Reply 1
Are you involved in any clubs in school or other extra curricular activities?
Reply 2
Original post by jas149
Are you involved in any clubs in school or other extra curricular activities?

unfortunately no
Focus on your skills like teamwork.
No sports teams etc? Any positions within school (form rep, house captain etc?)
Can you find any online work experience related to your subject? Or an online course?
Original post by Zosia_
So I'm finally getting my s*** together and writing my statement. My school has given me a general guide were you do the intro, a para on academics and anther para on work experience, volunteering etc and a final para on other things and skills. However I have no work experience or volunteering so I don't know what to do now for that para as I want to apply as soon as possible (before Christmas preferably). Is there any value to that para, what could I do now in such a short time? Any advice is welcome.

Have you completed any MOOC's or read any books?
Work experience and volunteering are not necessary - your main focus should be on your academic interest in the course. You can write a brief paragraph on hobbies and extra curricular activities as well, but it doesn't matter.
Original post by Zosia_

Hey!

What’s the subject for?

You still have a month left to join a club if you can? One with teamwork would be good for most careers!

If you can’t join a club, why not read a book (or articles if you can’t purchase a book).

Have a look into any charity work you can do eg volunteering somewhere, this can be done virtually too in some places

What do you like to do in your spare time? The above examples are all good things to pick up if you don’t do much of these currently

Best of luck!
Tasha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending