The Student Room Group

wrong/offensive or just a joke?

so one of my friends is black and she sometimes makes jokes about me being white like “oh that’s white people food” or “shut up white chocolate” and we just laugh it off. i do not make the same jokes back as it could be seen as racist and i do not want to be racist in any way!

yesterday i was speaking about my grades and she randomly interrupted me and said “nobody cares you white ...” (she swore but i won’t type it here haha)

my other friend asked why she had to bring race into it, and she basically went on a rant saying that she hates white people for being racist.

i have never once been racist and neither has my other friend. we asked her if she hates us and she just said “well yeah, you’re white”

we laughed it off and everything is ok now. im just wondering if i said something wrong to make her say this? i find what she said quite hurtful seeing as we have never been racist? am i wrong and selfish to feel this way?

i really don’t want to offend or upset anyone so if someone has any advice or anything i would really appreciate it!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by baby.bear
so one of my friends is black and she sometimes makes jokes about me being white like “oh that’s white people food” or “shut up white chocolate” and we just laugh it off. i do not make the same jokes back as it could be seen as racist and i do not want to be racist in any way!

yesterday i was speaking about my grades and she randomly interrupted me and said “nobody cares you white ...” (she swore but i won’t type it here haha)

my other friend asked why she had to bring race into it, and she basically went on a rant saying that she hates white people for being racist.

i have never once been racist and neither has my other friend. we asked her if she hates us and she just said “well yeah, you’re white”

we laughed it off and everything is ok now. im just wondering if i said something wrong to make her say this? i find what she said quite hurtful seeing as we have never been racist? am i wrong and selfish to feel this way?

i really don’t want to offend or upset anyone so if someone has any advice or anything i would really appreciate it!

shes rude. Ditch her and move on.
She admits to hating you because you're white. Why are you guys friends again?
She’s not a good friend - she has literally admitted to hating you simply because of your race, which is something you have no choice in.

I would distance myself.
Reply 4
im not too sure what’s on Twitter haha but I’m assuming you mean all the jokes against white people that started on there??
you've done anything wrong! it's just rude tbh
maybe tell them you don't like it - they might just think you find it funny ..? who knows idk why tho
How old is she? :confused:
She sounds unpleasant.
But might be an immature attention seeker with an outrageous sense of humour.
Reply 7
Original post by Sabertooth
She admits to hating you because you're white. Why are you guys friends again?

Original post by Mesopotamian.
She’s not a good friend - she has literally admitted to hating you simply because of your race, which is something you don’t choose.

I would distance myself.

yeah this is what I’m thinking! ive never done or said anything to make her hate me and she says it’s simply because of my race. it’s just an awkward situation to be in i guess
Reply 8
Hating someone on the basis of their race. There is a word for that...
Reply 9
Original post by c1student
you've done anything wrong! it's just rude tbh
maybe tell them you don't like it - they might just think you find it funny ..? who knows idk why tho

we mentioned that we don’t see why she would hate us because of our skin colour but she just told us she isn’t racist because she’s black and we are white so idek ahah
Reply 10
Original post by londonmyst
How old is she? :confused:
She sounds unpleasant.
But might be an immature attention seeker with an outrageous sense of humour.

she’s 18. she’s always been quite loud and obnoxious but never said anything like this before
Reply 11
ah okay!!
we mentioned that we don’t see why she would hate us because of our skin colour but she just told us she isn’t racist because she’s black and we are white so idek ahah

she doesn't like you bc of your skin colour but she says she isn't racist wtf
Reply 13
Original post by c1student
she doesn't like you bc of your skin colour but she says she isn't racist wtf

yeah this is where I’m confused!

i don’t want to say something wrong but i thought racism was discrimination due to someone’s race. so her hating me for being white is racist? but she claims she can’t be because “you can’t oppress the oppressor” so idk

Complete rubbish, I hate this mindset.
How about people stop discriminating others for features they cannot control, and start judging people on things which are in their control for example personality and behaviour.

i don’t want to say something wrong but i thought racism was discrimination due to someone’s race. so her hating me for being white is racist? but she claims she can’t be because “you can’t oppress the oppressor” so idk

omg pls ditch her
Reply 16
Original post by Mesopotamian.
Complete rubbish, I hate this mindset.
How about people stop discriminating others for features they cannot control, and start judging people on things which are in their control for example personality and behaviour.

i agree! she told me that she “can’t oppress the oppressor” but i thought racism was just discrimination because of someone’s race? i could be wrong so i should probably research more!
Reply 17

There is individual racism and systematic. White people do not face systematic but what your friend is saying is by definition, racist. Making it individual.
Reply 18
Original post by LovelyMrFox
There is individual racism and systematic. White people do not face systematic but what your friend is saying is by definition, racist. Making it individual.

yes! i have heard and researched a bit about the difference! idk i don’t want to upset anyone but i feel as though it was unfair (whether it was racist or not) for her to hate me because of my skin colour, especially when I’ve never discriminated against her for hers?
i agree! she told me that she “can’t oppress the oppressor” but i thought racism was just discrimination because of someone’s race? i could be wrong so i should probably research more!

If she hates you specifically because you’re white and you’ve done nothing racist either intentionally/ unintentionally/ consciously/ subconsciously (I.e. nothing to warrant the hate), then I would consider that racist too.
You aren’t responsible for some colonial ruler 300 years ago just as much as not all Muslims are responsible for a maniac terrorist, just as much as not all priests are paedophiles, just as much as not all black people are involved in gang crime. This list goes on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending