The Student Room Group

Do you need work experience?

Hi, I am on my first year for my 2 year course however they have already started talking about a personal statement for a UCAS application to have it ready.

They talked about how you have to mention work experience however I don't think I have any relating to the course I want (midwifery). The course I am taking at the moment is btec extended diploma level 3 applied science and they say I can get into the health care field.

Can I still get into the course that I want with no work experience? (The university course itself does come with the experience).
Original post by I Don't Know.
Hi, I am on my first year for my 2 year course however they have already started talking about a personal statement for a UCAS application to have it ready.

They talked about how you have to mention work experience however I don't think I have any relating to the course I want (midwifery). The course I am taking at the moment is btec extended diploma level 3 applied science and they say I can get into the health care field.

Can I still get into the course that I want with no work experience? (The university course itself does come with the experience).

You can still get in the course but you need to have the grades and relevant qualities or skills required for the course. It's best to get experience as it increases your likelihood to get an offer but in case you don't have its fine as well but you have to demonstrate to them why do you think you are best for this course like show them through evidence like doing volunteering jobs, paid job,co-curricular activities or anything, just demonstrate them that you got the skills needed and why you think you are a good candidate for it . You need to show them that you understand the course and skills needed for it .
Original post by I Don't Know.

Moved to the midwifery forum :smile:
Reply 3
Agree with the above. Particularly now with Covid, work experience is difficult to access. Uni’s are understanding of this. Do some other research around values/ skills that nurses&midwives need to have & relate your current hobbies/course experiences etc etc to these :smile:
Midwifery is quite competitive, so work experience is usually a fairly good thing to have, and definitely if you CAN get some experience in some way or other it’ll be worth your while, but don’t panic if not! Remember that work experience doesn’t necessarily need to be directly related to midwifery, as long as it’s transferable to midwifery - so any opportunities for volunteering/working around maternity or babies is helpful:smile: maybe see if there’s any antenatal/ mother& baby classes near you (they’ll likely be online atm) and ask the organiser if you can observe & shadow them, or even any experience in early years/childcare is likely to be more helpful than nothing!:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending