The Student Room Group

How important are political views in your friendships?

Would you not be friends with someone who doesn't have the same general political beliefs as you?

Scroll to see replies

I mean I am not going to be friends with someone who is a racist or someone who believes the UK is no place for immigrants
It would only matter if the person leaned extremely left or right, other than that I believe there is some leeway.
Reply 3
I don't mind being friends with people with completely opposite political views to me as long as they can explain why they have these opinions instead of blindly repeating what everyone else is saying and not understanding it.
Reply 4
No neo nazis or loony Chris Williamson types, but apart from that it's mostly sound
no tankies and no far-right BNP types. apart from those i won't decide not to befriend someone by virtue of their political alignment.
Original post by issawrap
Would you not be friends with someone who doesn't have the same general political beliefs as you?

I wouldn't be able to be super close with anyone that is extremist, but I wouldn't hate someone purely based on that. I have a lot of friends and they are really varied in political opinion, but the people I end up being closest with and stick with longest is usually those that are similar to mine.. makes it quite easy for me who considers themselves quite centrist (aka anything but extremist i.e the average British person lol)
Reply 7
Original post by ruru06
I mean I am not going to be friends with someone who is a racist or someone who believes the UK is no place for immigrants

By 'racist', do you just mean someone who speaks racist language?
I have friends and exes from all over the political spectrum.
Of course, there does have to be some shared values and basic standards of sane behaviour.
I wouldn't be keen on having much to do with anyone that were supporters/members/funders for any prescribed organisations or organised crime gangs.
Nor members or financial backers of: AB, BF, BFP, DYR, EKP, KT, KKK, ONA, PA, WBC.
I mean it would be pretty hard to be friends with someone who wanted people who looked like me deported, dehumanized or killed so yeah I'd say it's important
no tories, UKIP, or anything else similar
Original post by alexschmalex
I mean it would be pretty hard to be friends with someone who wanted people who looked like me deported, dehumanized or killed so yeah I'd say it's important

This. I don't get people who're like ''ye political views don't matter''. Yeah they do, maybe voting for a certain party doesn't but your ideology and beliefs matter A LOT. I can't coexist with conspiracy theorists, vaccine fear mongers and the like. Nor can I coexist with white pride ideologues. There are many beliefs which affect politics and which make the person undateable and if you don't think there are, you haven't thought about it at all.
I feel as though we naturally gravitate towards people with similar views, so differing views don’t really happen. Then again, there’s different views a fascism and the only friends fascists have are other fascists.

Not too important as long as they're not on the extreme end of the spectrum (i.e. as someone who's generally centre-left, I'd happily date someone centre-right but not someone who is far-right).
I wouldn’t be exceptionally comfortable being friends with someone who doesn’t share the same fundamental moral principles as me. However I don’t think POLITICS should be something you base friendships off/ bring into your personal life. Many forget that.
sadly they're important. Maybe not purely political views but political views often reflect specific views of a given person related to personal values, beliefs (including religious beliefs) etc. So, I think it's pretty difficult to be close friends with someone who has completely different perception of so many things.
Hi

It all depends on how strong people's views are.
The vast majority of times, people that make a couple have the
same political/life views along with how strong their views are.
You are never going to get an extreme leftist coupling up with an opposite view.
It is only important if it is important to you and if the other person no likey, then
you will no longer be a couple.
:smile: :smile:

Personally, yes. I'm pretty left wing and I absolutely cannot understand how some people are able to argue against raising taxes when we have a 20% child poverty rate in this country - imo your political opinions say a lot about you: i can tell what your priorities are, and from that i can decide whether you are the kind of person i want to spend time with or not
Original post by Anonymous
Personally, yes. I'm pretty left wing and I absolutely cannot understand how some people are able to argue against raising taxes when we have a 20% child poverty rate in this country - imo your political opinions say a lot about you: i can tell what your priorities are, and from that i can decide whether you are the kind of person i want to spend time with or not

But also, i think ignorance is just as bad - people should at least have some understanding of whats going on, as voting is important and literally shapes out lives
also, someone who is centre right "for the economy" and votes conservative imo is just missing the point, or people who choose not to vote because they "dont like corbyn"... there are far larger things at stake and i think stupid to ignore them
I'd not really care as I'd hope to be friends with someone who votes on policy rather than party or ideology, where we'd discus the policies as they come and go as really that's what happens in democracies, it's not a dictatorship where they'd be around to make all their polices law anyway.

I want a relationship of educated debate not one of forcing our ideals upon each other without compromise and logic, we are equals in both mind and body.

As long as they don't have a Corbyn shrine, aspire to get Johnson's hair-do or have a tattoo of Mao it's pretty much fine politically as long as they remain open minded and able to be challenged on views. Even if we agreed on everything I'd still want to discuss as we may both change our minds.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending