The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE Economics Applicants 2021 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LVSDH
Do you recon it matters what the grade for Further maths is if that's your 4th subject?

Not really... I mean if your other grades are perfect then they don’t care about your FM grade. LSE view FM as a 4th option but in reality you have to have studies it at A levels or equivalent to gain an offer. Once you get an offer, if you are doing 4 subjects then you can get an E in FM (pass) and still get in
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by Anonymous
LSE might reject you if you’re looking for a straight econ course. That’s because you have business econ which is considered as too narrow. Not only that but accountancy is a non preferred subject. You also do not have FM. You can always try but your chances will be slim. As for your other university choices it will be difficult to say.

In India the math that we do is essentially further math. And on the lse website it says 95+ in math and seeing as we arent offered any other subject combinations, I think they'll consider the application equally
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by sachinkcherian
In India the math that we do is essentially further math. And on the lse website it says 95+ in math and seeing as we arent offered any other subject combinations, I think they'll consider application equally

I really hope so! we don't get the option of pairing history with physics or chemistry with accounting or any other such combination, we can't really help it if they consider the options narrow :s-smilie:
I really hope so! we don't get the option of pairing history with physics or chemistry with accounting or any other such combination, we can't really help it if they consider the options narrow :s-smilie:

ive also heard that there are quite a few indians for econ at lse so fingers crossed haha
Reply 44
- Subjects + Predicted Grades: A*A*A*A* in maths, fm, physics, geography
- GCSEs: 999999999A*87
- Other Unis Applied To + Decisions: UCL (offer), Warwick (offer), Cambridge (interview, pending), UCL Econ and stats (pending)
- Home student
In India the math that we do is essentially further math. And on the lse website it says 95+ in math and seeing as we arent offered any other subject combinations, I think they'll consider the application equally

Well since it’s not A levels specifically then you should be fine. It’s just that around 5% of students who applied for Econ actually got an offer without AS level or A level Further Maths. That’s around 20 people. Since you’re an international student it should give you a better chance of getting in. Mind you, some combinations are blacklisted like I said which will disadvantage you. You should contact the LSE Econ department. They’ll give you a more accurate answer than someone like me
Original post by Nikki03
Hey I'm applying for econ for all 5 unis,

1. Maths, Further maths, eng lit, econ and epq. all A* apart from FM which is an A.
2. 999999887 and gcse further maths A*
3. i got a conditional offer from warwick and Nottingham, yet to hear from lse, Ucl and cambridge,
4. home (but Warwick somehow think I'm international and wanted me to do some form of eng gcse)

I applied to the same 5 last year. Where do you want to go if you don't get Cam?
I applied to the same 5 last year. Where do you want to go if you don't get Cam?

i think lse would be my 2nd choice

Not going to lie, your first choice should be LSE and second should be cambridge. LSE economics is one of the most lucrative degrees in the world. LSE economics has better job prospects and higher potential wages.
Not going to lie, your first choice should be LSE and second should be cambridge. LSE economics is one of the most lucrative degrees in the world. LSE economics has better job prospects and higher potential wages.

You must be an LSE student.

I know some people who would put lse below warwick etc....

Cambridge does not have 'worse' job prospects! Also the wages part is kind of irrelevant as money isn't everything
Well since it’s not A levels specifically then you should be fine. It’s just that around 5% of students who applied for Econ actually got an offer without AS level or A level Further Maths. That’s around 20 people. Since you’re an international student it should give you a better chance of getting in. Mind you, some combinations are blacklisted like I said which will disadvantage you. You should contact the LSE Econ department. They’ll give you a more accurate answer than someone like me

Yeah Ive heard that being an international student really boosts your chances haha. Hopefully the accounts, econ, business combo isn't blacklisted. I know a person who got into LSE last year with this combo so fingers crossed. I'll certainly do that.
You must be an LSE student.

I know some people who would put lse below warwick etc....

Cambridge does not have 'worse' job prospects! Also the wages part is kind of irrelevant as money isn't everything

Not an LSE student, I wouldn’t pick cambridge over LSE if you’re career oriented. LSE alumni for economics is prestigious. Loads of their alumni have won Nobel prizes in their fields (especially Econ). Not only that but you’re located next to one of the worlds financial hubs. According to the BBC, the most lucrative degree came from LSE, their average wages were above that of Oxbridge students. At Goldman’s Sachs, around 15% of their employees came from LSE whereas roughly 9% came from UCL... Oxbridge and Warwick.
Yeah Ive heard that being an international student really boosts your chances haha. Hopefully the accounts, econ, business combo isn't blacklisted. I know a person who got into LSE last year with this combo so fingers crossed. I'll certainly do that.

If there’s good reason I.e there were some subject combos you couldn’t take due to your schools time table clash. However if you picked those subjects without anything holding you back from taking the more academic subjects then there may be a disadvantage. Bear in mind, some students get offers due to their personal situation/circumstances.
If there’s good reason I.e there were some subject combos you couldn’t take due to your schools time table clash. However if you picked those subjects without anything holding you back from taking the more academic subjects then there may be a disadvantage. Bear in mind, some students get offers due to their personal situation/circumstances.

yeah CBSE doesnt offer any other subjects combos, like physics, chemistry. If we want to take political science we'd have to drop math and thats obviously isnt possible haha
Not an LSE student, I wouldn’t pick cambridge over LSE if you’re career oriented. LSE alumni for economics is prestigious. Loads of their alumni have won Nobel prizes in their fields (especially Econ). Not only that but you’re located next to one of the worlds financial hubs. According to the BBC, the most lucrative degree came from LSE, their average wages were above that of Oxbridge students. At Goldman’s Sachs, around 15% of their employees came from LSE whereas roughly 9% came from UCL... Oxbridge and Warwick.

the thing that you have to consider is that a higher proportion of LSE students may consider banking as a career path. Using wages is also flawed because not everyone does/ wants to work in London, wages are higher in London because costs are also higher.

If you do a survey right now asking people in sixth form to choose between the 2, what do you think they will go for?
Reply 55
- Subjects + Predicted Grades: Maths (A*), Economics (A*), Physics (A*), Further Maths (A).
- GCSEs: 99988888777 and an A in AddMaths.
- Other Unis Applied To + Decisions: UCL, Warwick, Bristol and Durham (all for pure Econ, all conditional offers).
- Home or International: Home.

Out of interest, does anyone know of someone taking exams this year who has had an offer? Everyone I've seen with offers so far has applied with actual grades, not predicted.
Reply 56
Original post by TarasW
- Subjects + Predicted Grades: Maths (A*), Economics (A*), Physics (A*), Further Maths (A).
- GCSEs: 99988888777 and an A in AddMaths.
- Other Unis Applied To + Decisions: UCL, Warwick, Bristol and Durham (all for pure Econ, all conditional offers).
- Home or International: Home.

Out of interest, does anyone know of someone taking exams this year who has had an offer? Everyone I've seen with offers so far has applied with actual grades, not predicted.

i don't think LSE is giving offers to predicted grades people rn. I think someone on a thread mentioned LSE were going to give offers later due to the covid restrictions and what not so it could be a while.
Reply 57
Original post by g.ana
i don't think LSE is giving offers to predicted grades people rn. I think someone on a thread mentioned LSE were going to give offers later due to the covid restrictions and what not so it could be a while.

That makes sense, thanks for replying. I assume the extension of the UCAS equal consideration deadline has delayed it a bit as well. I guess as long as offers come out in a few months I don't think anyone will complain.
Has anyone received an offer yet?
There's a spreadsheet now on the official thread but so far there are no entries.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending