The Student Room Group

What happens if I fail first year of uni?

Hey so I'm a first-year uni student and I don't think I am doing well. I've been struggling with uni work and I just wanted to know what would happen if I failed my first year of uni?

Thank You
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hey so I'm a first-year uni student and I don't think I am doing well. I've been struggling with uni work and I just wanted to know what would happen if I failed my first year of uni?

Thank You

the pass threshold for most courses is 40%.
if you don't reach that you have summer re sits which no one really wants.
and if you fail those to then you will have to re take the year which means youre back to square one.
Reply 2
Original post by oci9
the pass threshold for most courses is 40%.
if you don't reach that you have summer re sits which no one really wants.
and if you fail those to then you will have to re take the year which means youre back to square one.

Thank you.

Thank You

You will typically be offered a resit attempt for failed modules, the resit will most likely be capped at 40%.
Should you fail your resits in the summer at this point:
-Your studies can be terminated
-condoned fail (typically if their is a small amount of credits and you fail very close to the pass mark)
-Offer for you to resit the year (this will depend on your failing marks)

Typically most universities offer 1 summer resit as part of policy but offering 3rd attempts or condoned fails is completely at the discretion of the exam board and a lot can be down to how close a fail it was/attendance/how realistic passing future course stages are.

You should read your universities academic guidelines and regulations to find out how you are likely to be treated as every institution has separate policies.
Worth noting that you can still "fail" (ie. not allowed to proceed straight into second year) if you average over 40% but do not pass enough or certain modules, this should all be explained in your course handbook. You should get an opportunity to resit failed modules if that's what you're worried about, usually capped at 40. (though you can be allowed to resit as first attempt in some circumstances)
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
If you still need some sacred tips that will really be helpful i’m here to help please don’t hesitate. You won’t be dissatisfied.
Reply 6
i’ll maake you pass
Original post by Toucher
i’ll maake you pass

what are the sacred tips?
Reply 8
How can we chat?
Original post by Toucher
If you still need some sacred tips that will really be helpful i’m here to help please don’t hesitate. You won’t be dissatisfied.

Original post by Toucher
i’ll maake you pass

Original post by Toucher
How can we chat?

Creepy mother****er. You're gonna scam them, aren't you?
Reply 10
Noo never! why God dammit

Thank You

Hi anonymous,

If you fail your first year of uni you'll likely have to retake it. It depends on your degree, but this shouldn't affect your overall degree mark as first year grades don't normally contribute towards it.

I think you should speak to your course leaders and academic support if you've been struggling with work. There's still a lot of time to get back on track and they will be able to support you in understanding the materials, applying them and recommending resources.

Lucy

Thank You

Hiya!

I would recommend that you email your personal tutor/ year coordinator to ask for more specific information.

If not you should be able to type into Google your University's name followed by their Examination & Assessment Regulations and their module Assessment Board. This should help provide some guidance in the mean time whilst you get an email back. All university's will differ slightly in their procedure, but if you fail your first year, or fail your module, you should be able to repeat the year or repeat the module alongside your studies in your second year.

Sam- Official Student Rep :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending