The Student Room Group

Instagram banned me :/

I just lost my Instagram fan page (which I've worked on for 5 years now and had amassed over 200,000 followers). They deleted my account for being an "impersonation".

I requested an appeal but they denied it. I kind of relied on the account for a source of income. I want to know what I can do legally about it - is there any act or law that I can throw at them to let them know it's wrongful deletion?

My account never advertised itself as an official page nor did it ever disobey Instagram community guidelines. What do I do now? :frown: Has anyone ever been in the same position - and if so, have you ever gotten it back?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I just lost my Instagram fan page (which I've worked on for 5 years now and had amassed over 200,000 followers). They deleted my account for being an "impersonation".

I requested an appeal but they denied it. I kind of relied on the account for a source of income. I want to know what I can do legally about it - is there any act or law that I can throw at them to let them know it's wrongful deletion?

My account never advertised itself as an official page nor did it ever disobey Instagram community guidelines. What do I do now? :frown: Has anyone ever been in the same position - and if so, have you ever gotten it back?

Dude I am deeply sorry for you but instagram doesn't take big steps like this if there weren't anything wrong
from your part
thats deep are you gonna start again
Or try to
Reply 3
Original post by Gaurev
Dude I am deeply sorry for you but instagram doesn't take big steps like this if there weren't anything wrong
from your part

They haven't provided me a single evidence on this alleged impersonation. I was legit a fanpage like hundreds of others on Instagram, and I never did anything wrong according to me. :/

Do you know if Instagram has a responsive contact email or something? I used their form but they just replied with one sentence, basically saying sorry but we can't restore it.
Reply 4
Original post by jk__jammi
thats deep are you gonna start again
Or try to

it hurts so bad :frown: No, I don't think I will. It takes a **** lot to re-start and gain that momentum again.
They haven't provided me a single evidence on this alleged impersonation. I was legit a fanpage like hundreds of others on Instagram, and I never did anything wrong according to me. :/

Do you know if Instagram has a responsive contact email or something? I used their form but they just replied with one sentence, basically saying sorry but we can't restore it.

Oh okay then but.I don't really think a lawsuit will work since Instagram can simply say that it's a company policy.Who's fan page is it by the way?
Reply 6
I don't know about Instagram specifically, but I have read one comment from Edward Snowden that stated "appearance of ownership can easily be mistaken for it". What he wanted to say is that as a user of any social community you never own your profile. You should never forget that it is just temporarily granted to you by the company who operates that community and can be taken away from you whenever they want.

Building up business models that rely on INstagram or something like that or even depending on it as a source of income is a very risky business.
was it obvious that it was a fan page? if it was then i guess you could contact them cos they have no reason to get rid of it
Reply 8
Original post by Haraldje
I don't know about Instagram specifically, but I have read one comment from Edward Snowden that stated "appearance of ownership can easily be mistaken for it". What he wanted to say is that as a user of any social community you never own your profile. You should never forget that it is just temporarily granted to you by the company who operates that community and can be taken away from you whenever they want.

Building up business models that rely on INstagram or something like that or even depending on it as a source of income is a very risky business.

makes sense :frown: I did begin a blog to expand my audience and to have another platform away from Instagram, but Instagram is so much more interactive and responsive than blogs which people barely read anyway.
Reply 9
Original post by Gaurev
Oh okay then but.I don't really think a lawsuit will work since Instagram can simply say that it's a company policy.Who's fan page is it by the way?

lmao I am embarrassed but bear in mind I made it at like the age of 12 - it's a Harry Potter fan page.
it hurts so bad :frown: No, I don't think I will. It takes a **** lot to re-start and gain that momentum again.

i could help you
I have alot of followers who do fan pages
It can give u some kind of boost
Original post by BluMoon06
was it obvious that it was a fan page? if it was then i guess you could contact them cos they have no reason to get rid of it

it was. very obvious lmao, given that there are literally hundreds of ones out there.

:/ I am just trying to find a way to let them know that even according to their rules, I haven't done anything wrong. I read through their community guidelines and I don't think I violated it. If they deleted mine they should delete every fan page on their platform :frown:
Original post by jk__jammi
i could help you
I have alot of followers who do fan pages
It can give u some kind of boost

That's so sweet of you! If I do plan to re-start I will definitely take you up on that offer, but rn I am just trying to retrieve my account.

Does anyone know what I can do from here? :frown:
it was. very obvious lmao, given that there are literally hundreds of ones out there.

:/ I am just trying to find a way to let them know that even according to their rules, I haven't done anything wrong. I read through their community guidelines and I don't think I violated it. If they deleted mine they should delete every fan page on their platform :frown:

ive seen your posts and a HP fan page is gonna be obvious af i rlly dont see why they banned you
i would email them with proof of you not breaking any rules and why you should have your account back
ive seen your posts and a HP fan page is gonna be obvious af i rlly dont see why they banned you
i would email them with proof of you not breaking any rules and why you should have your account back

wait do you know which account I have?!
lmao I am embarrassed but bear in mind I made it at like the age of 12 - it's a Harry Potter fan page.

Oh, then you have certainly invested a lot of time and effort. It must be a big loss for you.

But it might explain why it has been deleted. If you use pictures or quotes from Harry Potter they might be copyrighted. And there a lot of companies who sue everyone and everything that uses anything which is even similar to their logos, names or pics. Apple for example has filed lawsuits against small villages that are famous for its apple orchards and have a hiking trail named "Apple trail" .

Maybe you have unwillingly violated some copyrights from the HP owners or maybe Instagram has decided to delete sites with HP content just to be sure not to get sued themselves.

But I'm only guessing here. Maybe there are some law students here who know something more about that.

they legit have no way of contacting them apart from a stupid form :frown:
wait do you know which account I have?!

no i meant on here your previous posts saying it was a HP fan page lmao
Original post by Haraldje
Oh, then you have certainly invested a lot of time and effort. It must be a big loss for you.

But it might explain why it has been deleted. If you use pictures or quotes from Harry Potter they might be copyrighted. And there a lot of companies who sue everyone and everything that uses anything which is even similar to their logos, names or pics. Apple for example has filed lawsuits against small villages that are famous for its apple orchards and have a hiking trail named "Apple trail" .

Maybe you have unwillingly violated some copyrights from the HP owners or maybe Instagram has decided to delete sites with HP content just to be sure not to get sued themselves.

But I'm only guessing here. Maybe there are some law students here who know something more about that.

that does make sense. I did post scenes from the HP movies but it was always edited anyway. If that really is the case, then Instagram is going to lose a lot of potential accounts :frown:
they legit have no way of contacting them apart from a stupid form :frown:

is there a part on the form where you can explain stuff?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending