The Student Room Group

MPP at Blavatnik School of Government

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by politicspro
Hey all

Does anyone know something about the MSc Public Policy & Management at KCL?
I got an offer for this programme, but haven't seen anyone talking about its reputation or anything.
I also applied to the LSE and Oxford MPPs, and as I haven't heard anything from LSE until now, I'm thinking if maybe I should apply to a 4th course elsewhere that is more strong than the KCLs one...

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Don't know much about KCL. But there are some good professors in the politics department there as far as I know. Being in the centre of London also makes the place special, if that matters to you.

Did you consider the Cambridge MPP?
Reply 21
Original post by pj2294
Good to meet you. I got rejected by LSE but have an offer from Cambridge. Waiting to hear from Oxford. Final decision will depend on the funding I get (if any).

Congratulations for Cambridge :smile:
Hope everything works out for you!
Reply 22
Original post by Bari_K
Congratulations for Cambridge :smile:
Hope everything works out for you!

Thank you, and you too :smile:
Original post by pj2294
Don't know much about KCL. But there are some good professors in the politics department there as far as I know. Being in the centre of London also makes the place special, if that matters to you.

Did you consider the Cambridge MPP?

Hi! Being in London is a negative point for me, as I would prefer to have more life quality in this "gap year" (without full-time work). I mean, usually big cities come together with overpriced rents/food and traffic in transportation. I know that all of that comes together with more internships and jobs opportunities, though.

I didn't consider the Cambridge MPP at first because I thought it was an academic-focused course. After your suggestion, I went once again to the website and found out that it is a nice master program. The problem is that I want to focus my masters' studies in government people management, and I haven't found anything related to this on their website.
Do you know if they have some research about the people management's topic?

Edit - PS: Do you mind sharing when did you apply to LSE and when they answered you?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by politicspro
Hi! Being in London is a negative point for me, as I would prefer to have more life quality in this "gap year" (without full-time work). I mean, usually big cities come together with overpriced rents/food and traffic in transportation. I know that all of that comes together with more internships and jobs opportunities, though.

I didn't consider the Cambridge MPP at first because I thought it was an academic-focused course. After your suggestion, I went once again to the website and found out that it is a nice master program. The problem is that I want to focus my masters' studies in government people management, and I haven't found anything related to this on their website.
Do you know if they have some research about the people management's topic?

Edit - PS: Do you mind sharing when did you apply to LSE and when they answered you?

LSE has a Master of Public Administration course as well as a Master of Public Policy and Administration course. They might be suited to your interest in people management.

I applied to LSE just a day after the application cycle opened for this year. They got back to me within a couple of weeks (it was so early in the application season that they had very few applications to consider).
Reply 25
Hello guys, any update on when we're likely to hear back from BSG this year? Someone said it may be as soon as the first week of March. Did anyone else hear a similar date?
Reply 26
Original post by pj2294
Hello guys, any update on when we're likely to hear back from BSG this year? Someone said it may be as soon as the first week of March. Did anyone else hear a similar date?

Hello!
I was informed by the Admission Team that - a decision should be communicated to you no later than 19th March.
Reply 27
Original post by Bari_K
Hello!
I was informed by the Admission Team that - a decision should be communicated to you no later than 19th March.

Oh, I got that same communication. But I really don't want to wait so long. Lol!
Original post by pj2294
Oh, I got that same communication. But I really don't want to wait so long. Lol!

"Ready for assessment in January Deadline :

Your application can be or has been considered by the relevant academic department. The Graduate Admissions website provides further information on the graduate admissions timetable and process". It has been like that from the beginning. Is yours the same?
Reply 29
Original post by Forum Helper 8
"Ready for assessment in January Deadline :

Your application can be or has been considered by the relevant academic department. The Graduate Admissions website provides further information on the graduate admissions timetable and process". It has been like that from the beginning. Is yours the same?

Yes, mine has been the same since October. Do you have any idea whether scholarship decisions (if admitted) come along with the admissions outcome?
Reply 30
Just found this: "Scholarships are usually awarded between late February and June. If you’re awarded a scholarship, you may be notified at the same time as your department (or college) offer or later on, depending on the source of the funding."

https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/graduate/after-you-apply/decision-timeline?wssl=1

So, unless its a college that's going to fund you, there is a good chance of getting to know your funding decision from the department along with your admission decision I guess.
Original post by pj2294
Yes, mine has been the same since October. Do you have any idea whether scholarship decisions (if admitted) come along with the admissions outcome?

So regarding scholarship decisions. Once you have received an offer from Oxford, you will receive another email from Blavatnik School to fill out a questionnaire and answer (in detail) your personal circumstances (i.e. Evidence you haven't got any money and cannot come without one), what scholarship(s) you are interested in (They want to know you have done your research here), and what differentiates you from everyone else that has an offer. They give you a week to do this. After the deadline (Week to do the questionnaire) is passed. They shortlist candidates and invite them to an interview (usually lasting an hour), and I have heard they heavily scrutinize people at this interview. After the interview, those who are successful will receive an email within a week notifying you if you have been successful in attaining a scholarship, and whether you will be fully funded or partly-funded. Those who aren't successful should not lose hope, and the University will provide possible alternative ways to attain a scholarship through other websites. Statistics demonstrate that only about 20% of students who come to the Blatvanik school had not been able to secure any scholarships, so the chances of receiving at least a partially funded one (covering 25% of your university fees) is very obtainable.

Hope that answers your question
Hi. I have applied for the Oxford’s MPP programme. I am very stressed out. Can someone please evaluate my profile and say if I stand a chance or not.I have an undergrad degree in English and Political science from Hindu College, University of Delhi with 6.27 GCPA. I have two years of experience working as an HR Associate. I have faced racial discrimination during my initial months in college and therefore I have raised voice against discrimination and promoted awareness which I am very proud of. I co-founded an NGO after college which focuses on education, health, gender equality and environment. So far I have been able to make a positive impact on the lives of over 1000 people. I am heading the think tank of the NGO as well. I have worked as an analyst at a PAC for 1 year and advised political leaders on rural development. I am of the notion that Indian politicians in general lack policy skills which is the root cause of policy failures and slow rate of development. I am hoping to get the MPP degree fromOxford to make substantial impact and Oxford can provide that platform. I don’t know if I have been able to explain my profile with clarity as I am very stressed out. Please help me out guys. What are my chances?
Original post by Shreekar
Hi. I have applied for the Oxford’s MPP programme. I am very stressed out. Can someone please evaluate my profile and say if I stand a chance or not.I have an undergrad degree in English and Political science from Hindu College, University of Delhi with 6.27 GCPA. I have two years of experience working as an HR Associate. I have faced racial discrimination during my initial months in college and therefore I have raised voice against discrimination and promoted awareness which I am very proud of. I co-founded an NGO after college which focuses on education, health, gender equality and environment. So far I have been able to make a positive impact on the lives of over 1000 people. I am heading the think tank of the NGO as well. I have worked as an analyst at a PAC for 1 year and advised political leaders on rural development. I am of the notion that Indian politicians in general lack policy skills which is the root cause of policy failures and slow rate of development. I am hoping to get the MPP degree fromOxford to make substantial impact and Oxford can provide that platform. I don’t know if I have been able to explain my profile with clarity as I am very stressed out. Please help me out guys. What are my chances?

Hello,

Don't stress mate. Whether you make it to Oxford or not, does not define who you are going to be. You can still make a substantial impact without having an MPP. Listen to this top academic explaining about getting rejected from Oxford. He himself was Rejected on 3 separate occasions before finally attaining an offer. I am sure it will calm your nerves ---> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIjDn2mEc0E

In regards to your application, whatever our assumptions will be on your profile. The truth is that no one will have an accurate answer for you as we are not on the admission panel. Just be patient and within a month you will know your outcome. Personally, I feel you have a strong chance and good experience under your belt. Rejection is tough for most people. A natural reaction. However, from watching endless Vlogs of Oxford, Cambridge Harvard etc, it became apparent that suitably qualified candidates had been rejected, and lesser able candidates had been offered a place. Admission is often subjective, selection is based on many factors, not always based simply on the criteria you would imagine. My advice would always be to any student who wants to study at a prestigious university to still apply and see what happens.

Regardless of the outcome, there are many other opportunities ahead. Always keep your head up and have confidence in yourself knowing that getting accepted or rejected by a University does not define who you are. In the end, many people find that their rejection from a place like Oxford was a blessing in disguise. Because for example, they would have never have had this other opportunity that came up or met this person who becomes your wife etc. Whatever is meant to happen to us, will happen, and everything happens for a reason.
(edited 3 years ago)
Hello,

Don't stress mate. Whether you make it to Oxford or not, does not define who you are going to be. You can still make a substantial impact without having an MPP. Listen to this top academic explaining about getting rejected from Oxford. He himself was Rejected on 3 separate occasions before finally attaining an offer. I am sure it will calm your nerves ---> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIjDn2mEc0E

In regards to your application, whatever our assumptions will be on your profile. The truth is that no one will have an accurate answer for you as we are not on the admission panel. Just be patient and within a month you will know your outcome. Personally, I feel you have a strong chance and good experience under your belt. Rejection is tough for most people. A natural reaction. However, from watching endless Vlogs of Oxford, Cambridge Harvard etc, it became apparent that suitably qualified candidates had been rejected, and lesser able candidates had been offered a place. Admission is often subjective, selection is based on many factors, not always based simply on the criteria you would imagine. My advice would always be to any student who wants to study at a prestigious university to still apply and see what happens.

Regardless of the outcome, there are many other opportunities ahead. Always keep your head up and have confidence in yourself knowing that getting accepted or rejected by a University does not define who you are. In the end, many people find that their rejection from a place like Oxford was a blessing in disguise. Because for example, they would have never have had this other opportunity that came up or met this person who becomes your wife etc. Whatever is meant to happen to us, will happen, and everything happens for a reason.

Thank you so much. Yours words have definitely made me feel better. Just hoping for the best. Thanks again
Reply 35
So regarding scholarship decisions. Once you have received an offer from Oxford, you will receive another email from Blavatnik School to fill out a questionnaire and answer (in detail) your personal circumstances (i.e. Evidence you haven't got any money and cannot come without one), what scholarship(s) you are interested in (They want to know you have done your research here), and what differentiates you from everyone else that has an offer. They give you a week to do this. After the deadline (Week to do the questionnaire) is passed. They shortlist candidates and invite them to an interview (usually lasting an hour), and I have heard they heavily scrutinize people at this interview. After the interview, those who are successful will receive an email within a week notifying you if you have been successful in attaining a scholarship, and whether you will be fully funded or partly-funded. Those who aren't successful should not lose hope, and the University will provide possible alternative ways to attain a scholarship through other websites. Statistics demonstrate that only about 20% of students who come to the Blatvanik school had not been able to secure any scholarships, so the chances of receiving at least a partially funded one (covering 25% of your university fees) is very obtainable.

Hope that answers your question

Great answer. Thank you so much. By the way, I also read that you need to deposit a hefty sum to secure your place in the program. Anywhere between 5% to 15% of total course fees. So there's a lot of crucial decisions to make if we're handed out an offer in the next few weeks.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by pj2294
Great answer. Thank you so much. By the way, I also read that you need to deposit a hefty sum to secure your place in the program. Anywhere between 5% to 15% of total course fees. So there's a lot of crucial decisions to make if we're handed out an offer in the next few weeks.

Yes indeed. I have already decided that I would only go on to the MPP if I meet the grade requirements (on offer letter), and attain a full scholarship, and even then I would have to think twice about it. I am not a person who is born with a silver spoon, living in a 20 bedroom mansion, with servants serving me all my meals. I do not have £45,000 to spare to pay for Tuition fees +£15,000 for the living expenses, + go on an unpaid internship for 6 weeks during the summer project and pay for more additional living costs/ probably working in London. I do not even earn £60,000-£70,000 in two full paid years. I also wouldn't want to try and get the money off anyone else (including parents) and use their hard-earned savings. They would probably give me the cash requirements, but that would just fill me with deep guilt and stress. I really need to ask myself is this master's even worth it? The answer I am currently leaning towards is -definitely not. So many great people have achieved amazing things in politics and public policy with no qualifications whatsoever, and I already hold a degree from a prestigious institution. Also, all the stuff taught on the public policy course can be found online, or just by reading the textbook, the lecturer would hand out (That can be found in a library). Also, if I manage to attain a job offer from what I would have been going for after an MPP is another reason why I do not see a reason to study it. I now understand why several people reject a masters offer from Oxford/Cambridge. It is very different from an undergrad point of a view. Last year, 95 students rejected an offer from the Oxford MPP course. That is almost an entire cohort of prospective students (120 in a full class).

So yes, a lot of decisions to be made over the next few weeks.
Reply 37
Yes indeed. I have already decided that I would only go on to the MPP if I meet the grade requirements (on offer letter), and attain a full scholarship, and even then I would have to think twice about it. I am not a person who is born with a silver spoon, living in a 20 bedroom mansion, with servants serving me all my meals. I do not have £45,000 to spare to pay for Tuition fees +£15,000 for the living expenses, + go on an unpaid internship for 6 weeks during the summer project and pay for more additional living costs/ probably working in London. I do not even earn £60,000-£70,000 in two full paid years. I also wouldn't want to try and get the money off anyone else (including parents) and use their hard-earned savings. They would probably give me the cash requirements, but that would just fill me with deep guilt and stress. I really need to ask myself is this master's even worth it? The answer I am currently leaning towards is -definitely not. So many great people have achieved amazing things in politics and public policy with no qualifications whatsoever, and I already hold a degree from a prestigious institution. Also, all the stuff taught on the public policy course can be found online, or just by reading the textbook, the lecturer would hand out (That can be found in a library). Also, if I manage to attain a job offer from what I would have been going for after an MPP is another reason why I do not see a reason to study it. I now understand why several people reject a masters offer from Oxford/Cambridge. It is very different from an undergrad point of a view. Last year, 95 students rejected an offer from the Oxford MPP course. That is almost an entire cohort of prospective students (120 in a full class).

So yes, a lot of decisions to be made over the next few weeks.

I am in pretty much the same boat. The most I can do (after a lot of stretching of my family's finances) is fund my living expenses. Nothing more. I am on the brink of paying off my family's huge liabilities after years of frugal living and don't want to go back into debt so easily again. Even arranging the funds for the deposit will take some effort. But at least the Oxford MPP seems like a pretty well-funded program compared the ones at Cambridge and LSE: https://www.bsg.ox.ac.uk/news/highest-ever-number-scholarships-awarded

So all the best to you, mate.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by pj2294
I am in pretty much the same boat. The most I can do (after a lot of stretching of my family's finances) is fund my living expenses. Nothing more. I am on the brink of paying off my family's huge liabilities after years of frugal living and don't want to go back into debt so easily again. Even arranging the funds for the deposit will take some effort. But at least the Oxford MPP seems like a pretty well-funded program compared the ones at Cambridge and LSE: https://www.bsg.ox.ac.uk/news/highest-ever-number-scholarships-awarded

So all the best to you, mate.

Yeah, a lot of decisions to be made. Let's see what happens. All the best to you too mate :smile:
Hello everyone,

I hope we are all doing great and a happy new month to everyone. Has anyone received any updates yet on their application asides the 19th March email? Again does anyone know if the BSG sends out the status email all at once or at different times? The anxiety though is on a different level for me..lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending