The Student Room Group

5’6 female 16 years old. How much should I weigh?

I’m unsure on my weight as I always see posts online saying to not trust BMI calculators and some websites say different things. What is the ideal weight that I should be? Or anyone who is the same as me how much did you weigh was it healthy? I feel really fat in my body honestly and I want to loose just under a stone but I keep getting told I don’t need too, I’m just asking on here because other chat rooms don’t really help or aren’t active like this is.

Scroll to see replies

Unless you do a lot of sport and are very muscular then the BMI calculator is a good guide:

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/healthy-weight/bmi-calculator/

It is a bit of a blunt tool, but usually people who say it is irrelevant tend to be at extreme ends of the scale, and are in denial.
You can weigh anything as long as your healthy.
Reply 3
Original post by ellie0497
You can weigh anything as long as your healthy.

True, the scale does have a important part in your health though doesn’t it? When you take into account your height and age obviously. Honestly I catch myself on it quite often and sometimes a change in 1 pound can affect me :/
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
I’m unsure on my weight as I always see posts online saying to not trust BMI calculators and some websites say different things. What is the ideal weight that I should be? Or anyone who is the same as me how much did you weigh was it healthy? I feel really fat in my body honestly and I want to loose just under a stone but I keep getting told I don’t need too, I’m just asking on here because other chat rooms don’t really help or aren’t active like this is.

BMI calculators, like other people have said, are usually good if you aren't the super muscular, sporty type. If you are, you can talk to the GP. I think they do some kind of test or something, that checks how much of your weight is muscle and fat; then they use this to say whether your weight is healthy or not because muscle weighs more than fat. Also, you might want to try the adult BMI calculator if you are tall for your age, because the calculator may be taking your age into account.

I'm not sure how useful this is, but I hope it helped.
Reply 5
Original post by Nautilus
Unless you do a lot of sport and are very muscular then the BMI calculator is a good guide:

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/healthy-weight/bmi-calculator/

It is a bit of a blunt tool, but usually people who say it is irrelevant tend to be at extreme ends of the scale, and are in denial.

Thank you, I have used that I just don’t like the results I think 🥲 I wanna weight a lot less but I suppose I can’t change that overnight and it’s hard.
True, the scale does have a important part in your health though doesn’t it? When you take into account your height and age obviously. Honestly I catch myself on it quite often and sometimes a change in 1 pound can affect me :/

I workout so the scale to me has been nothing but unhelpful so I haven’t weighed myself in a year now.
BMIs don’t take your muscle mass into consideration, so focus on being healthy rather than BMIs and numbers on a scale
Reply 7
Original post by AA..
BMI calculators, like other people have said, are usually good if you aren't the super muscular, sporty type. If you are, you can talk to the GP. I think they do some kind of test or something, that checks how much of your weight is muscle and fat; then they use this to say whether your weight is healthy or not because muscle weighs more than fat. Also, you might want to try the adult BMI calculator if you are tall for your age, because the calculator may be taking your age into account.

I'm not sure how useful this is, but I hope it helped.

I don’t exercise a lot so I think the bmi calculator is right, it says I’m a healthy weight I just wanna be on the lower end of healthy but I suppose it’s okay where I am.
Reply 8
I workout so the scale to me has been nothing but unhelpful so I haven’t weighed myself in a year now.
BMIs don’t take your muscle mass into consideration, so focus on being healthy rather than BMIs and numbers on a scale

Well done to you I wish I had the motivation honestly, yeah I get what you mean however I think my body is mainly just natural as I don’t do much working out I think I just need to accept it lol or do something to loose a little bit of weight.
Reply 9
I don’t exercise a lot so I think the bmi calculator is right, it says I’m a healthy weight I just wanna be on the lower end of healthy but I suppose it’s okay where I am.

Yes same; I can relate to this. I am constantly worried about going to the overweight part of the scale. The thing is, if it's really worrying you, you could always go onto youtube for the weight loss workout videos.
Well done to you I wish I had the motivation honestly, yeah I get what you mean however I think my body is mainly just natural as I don’t do much working out I think I just need to accept it lol or do something to loose a little bit of weight.

Don’t focus on losing weight, just focus on changing your lifestyle a little. I was the same at your age :smile:
Original post by AA..
Yes same; I can relate to this. I am constantly worried about going to the overweight part of the scale. The thing is, if it's really worrying you, you could always go onto youtube for the weight loss workout videos.

I find it really hard to motivate myself but yeah I try I wanna get down to atleast 8 stone and I would wanna weigh 7st10lb in the end as I would still be healthy but at the lower end for my height and age. I will try though thank you:smile:
Don’t focus on losing weight, just focus on changing your lifestyle a little. I was the same at your age :smile:

Thank you x
Honestly I was the exact same when I was a teenager- I felt big in comparison to other girls, they all seemed petite and pretty and I felt like a big lump even though I was a healthy weight. I look back now and see photos of myself and am like...what? I wasn't big in any way but the thing about being a teenager is there's so many changes happening to your body and they happen to everyone but at different rates. At 16 you're not fully grown but your'e not a kid either, it's such a weird stage to be at but in terms of your physicality your body is still growing so don't deny it proper nourishment. I'm 5 ft 7 (was 5 ft 6 in highschool), female and when I finished highschool I was around 9 stone and felt big (I wasn't)). By the time I was 20 I was 7 1/2 stone and I looked horrible (and I mean no disrespect to naturally slim or petite people here, it was just a bad weight for my own body). I also FELT horrible like yeah I was skinny but couldn't relax and enjoy myself around food, I was bony as hell...now I'm 23 and just over 9 stone again and it feels good, and also LOOKS different to how it looked at 16 even though I'm the same weight. Your body will keep changing for a few years yet, work with it, not against it. I wasted so many years stressing over my weight and honestly it is just not worth it
Honestly I was the exact same when I was a teenager- I felt big in comparison to other girls, they all seemed petite and pretty and I felt like a big lump even though I was a healthy weight. I look back now and see photos of myself and am like...what? I wasn't big in any way but the thing about being a teenager is there's so many changes happening to your body and they happen to everyone but at different rates. At 16 you're not fully grown but your'e not a kid either, it's such a weird stage to be at but in terms of your physicality your body is still growing so don't deny it proper nourishment. I'm 5 ft 7 (was 5 ft 6 in highschool), female and when I finished highschool I was around 9 stone and felt big (I wasn't)). By the time I was 20 I was 7 1/2 stone and I looked horrible (and I mean no disrespect to naturally slim or petite people here, it was just a bad weight for my own body). I also FELT horrible like yeah I was skinny but couldn't relax and enjoy myself around food, I was bony as hell...now I'm 23 and just over 9 stone again and it feels good, and also LOOKS different to how it looked at 16 even though I'm the same weight. Your body will keep changing for a few years yet, work with it, not against it. I wasted so many years stressing over my weight and honestly it is just not worth it

Thank you, yeah honestly sometimes it gets exhausting because I always see imperfections about myself when I know I shouldn’t. I weight 8stone 6 and feel massive, I hate it. But yeah I know I’m not overweight but sometimes I feel it and look it in the mirror, so frustrating.

how tall do you prefer guys
I’m 13 and weight 50kg! But when I measured myself I had just eaten a full pizza and chips as a treat. Hehe 😂
I’m 13 and weight 50kg! But when I measured myself I had just eaten a full pizza and chips as a treat. Hehe 😂

Sorry 46kg
Reply 18

I think the scale is more accurate for women than men as lets face it, it's rare that a female puts on a considerable amount of muscle...
Original post by ANM775
I think the scale is more accurate for women than men as lets face it, it's rare that a female puts on a considerable amount of muscle...

Wasn't accurate at all for me, not accurate for women who have heavier bones, women on their period, women who workout etc. Our weight fluctuates with our period cycles (water retention and hormones). My muscles aren’t too noticeable but the scale was wrong for me, and my doctor recommended me to avoid weighing myself for that reason.

Quick Reply

Latest