The Student Room Group

Chances of getting into physiotherapy?

Hi, so I’m posting this on behalf of my friend who wants to get into physiotherapy. He has AAA in his A-levels, in PE, business and economics. He has no experience because he has only recently decided he wants to pursue a career in physiotherapy and is hoping to apply to the University of Liverpool. What are his chances of getting accepted?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GameStonk
Hi, so I’m posting this on behalf of my friend who wants to get into physiotherapy. He has AAA in his A-levels, in PE, business and economics. He has no experience because he has only recently decided he wants to pursue a career in physiotherapy and is hoping to apply to the University of Liverpool. What are his chances of getting accepted?

When does he want to apply? Next year? PE is seen as a science based subject for some unis, but not all so check, if not he would have to apply to a mxiture of standard 3 year courses and foundation year. Experience is absolutely necessary, ideally through work experience, however you can read books, articles from the CSP (governing agency for physio), choose a research topic etc
Reply 2
Original post by zoe.nyaku
When does he want to apply? Next year? PE is seen as a science based subject for some unis, but not all so check, if not he would have to apply to a mxiture of standard 3 year courses and foundation year. Experience is absolutely necessary, ideally through work experience, however you can read books, articles from the CSP (governing agency for physio), choose a research topic etc

Ideally, this year although he knows it’s a bit late and may have to settle for next year. He wants to go to Liverpool who say they require AAB with an A being in Biology and/or PE so I guess he ticks that box. It’s just the experience he’s lacking on because he’s only recently decided he’s certain this is what he wants to do, but is wondering if that’s enough to prevent him from getting an offer in spite of meeting all the other requirements.
Reply 3
Ideally, this year although he knows it’s a bit late and may have to settle for next year. He wants to go to Liverpool who say they require AAB with an A being in Biology and/or PE so I guess he ticks that box. It’s just the experience he’s lacking on because he’s only recently decided he’s certain this is what he wants to do, but is wondering if that’s enough to prevent him from getting an offer in spite of meeting all the other requirements.

Just to add, he has had treatment from physios on multiple occasions. Whether this counts as experience or not, I don’t know. He also tells me he watches a lot of videos on YouTube about physiotherapy and sport. Mainly AthleanX if you’ve ever heard of him.

So he hasnt applied yet? The UCAS deadline has passed so he is probably going to have to apply next cycle.

Hi there GameStonk,

Glad to hear that your friend is interested in studying at the University of Liverpool!

So I believe that given the circumstances of the pandemic (i.e. it has been very difficult, if not impossible to get experiences in medical environments) so if this is the case then the lack of experience may not be such a barrier to getting on the course. I can't be certain on this on it is all down to the admissions team and academics but it might be worth getting in touch to see!

Malachy - University of Liverpool Student Rep
Reply 6
So he hasnt applied yet? The UCAS deadline has passed so he is probably going to have to apply next cycle.

Yes, this is correct.
Just to add, he has had treatment from physios on multiple occasions. Whether this counts as experience or not, I don’t know. He also tells me he watches a lot of videos on YouTube about physiotherapy and sport. Mainly AthleanX if you’ve ever heard of him.

Treatment from physios can be good to add to a personal statement, personally I didnt use that in my personal statement because I never had any, however it can be a good personal touch to explain that he has seen a physio in action, and can then draw on the skills they had, for example explaining things well
Reply 8
Original post by University of Liverpool Student Rep
Hi there GameStonk,

Glad to hear that your friend is interested in studying at the University of Liverpool!

So I believe that given the circumstances of the pandemic (i.e. it has been very difficult, if not impossible to get experiences in medical environments) so if this is the case then the lack of experience may not be such a barrier to getting on the course. I can't be certain on this on it is all down to the admissions team and academics but it might be worth getting in touch to see!

Hi Malachy, thanks for the response. Have you got an email for the specific admissions department that I can pass onto him? Cheers.
Yes, this is correct.

He has to apply next year then unfortunately, physio is incredibly competitive and they most likely will not accept a late application so far after the deadline.
Reply 10
He has to apply next year then unfortunately, physio is incredibly competitive and they most likely will not accept a late application so far after the deadline.

Malachy, is this correct?
Malachy, is this correct?

Hi there,

I can't give an answer for sure, but if the UCAS deadline has passed (I believe it was already extended too) then applications for this cycle at the University of Liverpool will have closed too sadly. The course may be open in clearing though so that could be a good option.

Reply 12
Hi there,

I can't give an answer for sure, but if the UCAS deadline has passed (I believe it was already extended too) then applications for this cycle at the University of Liverpool will have closed too sadly. The course may be open in clearing though so that could be a good option.

Well, from what he tells me he’s applied to the university already through UCAS (on time) but for a different course. But he’s had a change of heart and is now set on doing physiotherapy. Is it possible he could get in if he emailed admissions and sent them a new personal statement?
Well, from what he tells me he’s applied to the university already through UCAS (on time) but for a different course. But he’s had a change of heart and is now set on doing physiotherapy. Is it possible he could get in if he emailed admissions and sent them a new personal statement?

I am in the exact same situation but I want to switch from physio to midwifery. In short, no, you have to apply next year. Either start 1st year and then apply and start 2nd year on physio if he gets in, or take a gap year.

Unfortunately, I'm not in a position to give any firm advice on this, instead, I would contact the admission team on these contact forums here: https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/contact-us/

Hopefully, there is some flexibility on these but I do not feel confident saying either way sorry.

Reply 15
Unfortunately, I'm not in a position to give any firm advice on this, instead, I would contact the admission team on these contact forums here: https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/contact-us/

Hopefully, there is some flexibility on these but I do not feel confident saying either way sorry.

Ok mate thanks for your help. I’ll pass the link you’ve sent me onto my friend.
Reply 16
I am in the exact same situation but I want to switch from physio to midwifery. In short, no, you have to apply next year. Either start 1st year and then apply and start 2nd year on physio if he gets in, or take a gap year.

Are you dead sure on this? The student rep above says he doesn’t know.
Are you dead sure on this? The student rep above says he doesn’t know.

I emailed all the unis I am going to apply to next year asking if I could send a new personal statement, and a UCAS advisor, they both said no, my application has been made and sent and next year is my only choice. So yeah. I would suggest he contact UCAS and the unis he would apply to, calling them is quicker to check for physio admissions
Reply 18
I emailed all the unis I am going to apply to next year asking if I could send a new personal statement, and a UCAS advisor, they both said no, my application has been made and sent and next year is my only choice. So yeah. I would suggest he contact UCAS and the unis he would apply to, calling them is quicker to check for physio admissions

My heart goes out to you. The fact they won’t consider you for a change, even though it’s relatively easy (all you need is a new PS) is very unfair in my opinion. Universities deal with applications from young people, who are likely to change their mind and them not accommodating to that is, as a say, very unfair. I’ll tell him to ring up the uni and ask, hopefully they let him on as I’d be gutted for him if they didn’t. He’s already taken a year out due to the coronavirus so really isn’t keen on doing another.
My heart goes out to you. The fact they won’t consider you for a change, even though it’s relatively easy (all you need is a new PS) is very unfair in my opinion. Universities deal with applications from young people, who are likely to change their mind and them not accommodating to that is, as a say, very unfair. I’ll tell him to ring up the uni and ask, hopefully they let him on as I’d be gutted for him if they didn’t. He’s already taken a year out due to the coronavirus so really isn’t keen on doing another.

Yeah it's extremely frustrating, not everyone makes up their mind at the "right time" but at only 18 you can't expect everyone to have it all sorted out. Damnnn I feel for him already taking a year out, I'm a year older also so I get its really frustrating having to delay yet another year before going into the course you want

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending