The Student Room Group

Should I apply to Cambridge for Natural Sciences?

Hey, I'm not sure whether I should apply to Cambridge because I've heard of lots of people who applied to oxbridge, didn't pass the interview/admission test and then also not get any offers from other unis they applied to despite having excellent predicted grades.

Is this true? will other unis not make offers for you because you've applied to oxbridge?

Reply 1
Other unis won't know for sure where else you've applied, so don't worry :smile: They might guess you have since you've applied before the October deadline, but it won't impact their decision.
Original post by plshelpmelol
Hey, I'm not sure whether I should apply to Cambridge because I've heard of lots of people who applied to oxbridge, didn't pass the interview/admission test and then also not get any offers from other unis they applied to despite having excellent predicted grades.

Is this true? will other unis not make offers for you because you've applied to oxbridge?

Hey! I applied for Cambridge and was interviewed but didn't get in. Other unis won't be told which places you've applied, but they will probably assume you're an Oxbridge applicant if you meet the October deadline. I found that my early application was a huge benefit to me, rather than a disadvantage. My offer from Exeter is 3 grades lower than the typical offer they published, and my Durham offer is one grade lower. I know lots of people who met the October deadline and received lower offers from other unis simply because universities knew they were possibly competing with an offer from Oxbridge.
If your grades are appropriate for Cambridge and you think it looks right for you, absolutely go for it. If you don't apply to Cambridge solely because of the reasons you gave, you will always be wondering "what if". Hope that helps! :biggrin:
Other unis don't know where you apply so you'll be okay.
Original post by emily.b02
Hey! I applied for Cambridge and was interviewed but didn't get in. Other unis won't be told which places you've applied, but they will probably assume you're an Oxbridge applicant if you meet the October deadline. I found that my early application was a huge benefit to me, rather than a disadvantage. My offer from Exeter is 3 grades lower than the typical offer they published, and my Durham offer is one grade lower. I know lots of people who met the October deadline and received lower offers from other unis simply because universities knew they were possibly competing with an offer from Oxbridge.
If your grades are appropriate for Cambridge and you think it looks right for you, absolutely go for it. If you don't apply to Cambridge solely because of the reasons you gave, you will always be wondering "what if". Hope that helps! :biggrin:

wow I didn't know that, thanks! if you don't mind me asking, what did you apply for?
wow I didn't know that, thanks! if you don't mind me asking, what did you apply for?

I applied for Cambridge's Human, Social, and Political Science (HSPS) course at Selwyn College. Even though my Cambridge application was eventually unsuccessful, I think that if I hadn't applied to Cambridge I may well not have gotten an offer from Durham. The "Oxbridge applicant" support given by colleges and online is monumental compared to what regular applicants are given. It is in your school's interest for you to get an Oxbridge place, so they will help you as much as possible. Your personal statement will be 10x better, and the prep you do for admissions tests/interviews will make you 10x better at your subject. I spoke to Cambridge admissions tutors who told me exactly what universities are looking for in applicants, I spoke to Cambridge lecturers about my subjects, I spoke to current Oxbridge students about their experiences. In my opinion, an Oxbridge application will only make you STRONGER, never weaker. :biggrin:

If you apply before the October deadline universities can guess that you've applied to Oxbridge (unless you apply for medicine). They will not reject your application because of this. As has been mentioned above, sometimes they even lower your offer if they feel the need to compete with a potential Oxbridge offer.
Original post by emily.b02
I applied for Cambridge's Human, Social, and Political Science (HSPS) course at Selwyn College. Even though my Cambridge application was eventually unsuccessful, I think that if I hadn't applied to Cambridge I may well not have gotten an offer from Durham. The "Oxbridge applicant" support given by colleges and online is monumental compared to what regular applicants are given. It is in your school's interest for you to get an Oxbridge place, so they will help you as much as possible. Your personal statement will be 10x better, and the prep you do for admissions tests/interviews will make you 10x better at your subject. I spoke to Cambridge admissions tutors who told me exactly what universities are looking for in applicants, I spoke to Cambridge lecturers about my subjects, I spoke to current Oxbridge students about their experiences. In my opinion, an Oxbridge application will only make you STRONGER, never weaker. :biggrin:

Thank you so much!
Original post by aaron2578
If you apply before the October deadline universities can guess that you've applied to Oxbridge (unless you apply for medicine). They will not reject your application because of this. As has been mentioned above, sometimes they even lower your offer if they feel the need to compete with a potential Oxbridge offer.

thanks a lot! :smile:
Thank you so much!

No problem, good luck with all your applications!
thanks a lot! :smile:

No problem :smile:
Are you in year 12?
No problem :smile:
Are you in year 12?

yes, I just don't know what i want to do at uni between natural sciences, chem and pharmacy
yes, I just don't know what i want to do at uni between natural sciences, chem and pharmacy

I'm in year 12 too!
If you can't make a decision up then I'd suggest either: look for natural sciences courses where you can switch to another course if you want after the first year, or apply to a mixture of different courses (I'm planning on applying to a mixture of natural sciences and physics courses but it'll be difficult if the courses are too different).
I'm in year 12 too!
If you can't make a decision up then I'd suggest either: look for natural sciences courses where you can switch to another course if you want after the first year, or apply to a mixture of different courses (I'm planning on applying to a mixture of natural sciences and physics courses but it'll be difficult if the courses are too different).

ayy, do you also want to apply to Cambridge?
Original post by IlyaCambrdgYTube
I do Natural Sciences at Cambridge. I've never heard of people not getting offers from other unis because they applied to Cambridge, and I have no idea why that would make sense. I got offers from all my other unis, which suggests that the theory is incorrect.
If you want to study Natural Sciences, then you should definitely apply to Cambridge (though make sure you've got a great application or you'll be unlikely to get in).

hey thanks :smile: can i ask what would you think would make a good application other than basic things like extra reading?
hey thanks :smile: can i ask what would you think would make a good application other than basic things like extra reading?

Original post by IlyaCambrdgYTube
I do Natural Sciences at Cambridge. I've never heard of people not getting offers from other unis because they applied to Cambridge, and I have no idea why that would make sense. I got offers from all my other unis, which suggests that the theory is incorrect.
If you want to study Natural Sciences, then you should definitely apply to Cambridge (though make sure you've got a great application or you'll be unlikely to get in).

I've just realised I have a lot of your videos on my watch list so I can watch them this weekend :biggrin:
ayy, do you also want to apply to Cambridge?

Yes, although I probably won't get in.
Yes, although I probably won't get in.

good luck to you! If you want we can keep in touch on here so we can help each other?
good luck to you! If you want we can keep in touch on here so we can help each other?

Of course!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending