The Student Room Group

Can decluttering your space help to declutter your mind?

It's nearly Spring, so could a spring declutter help your wellbeing?

Personally I have a love/hate relationship with cleaning and decluttering. I love when it's done but hate the process. I find it often makes me feel much happier, lighter, cleaner, and almost like I'm less trapped, if that makes sense? I often start with a lot of enthusiasm but become disheartened as it gets harder. So what are your tips for decluttering?

I've watched and read Marie Kondo's programme and book which has helped me. I loosely follow her steps (e.g. I didn't 'thank' my items) and use the idea of sorting in categories helpful. More info here:

Marie Kondo's main idea of decluttering:

I think the idea of decluttering in categories can really help us to see how much stuff we actually might have, and to help us from buying new things that we don't need e.g. if we had forgotten that we had something - this then also prevents having too many ideas in total.

The last time I decluttered was last Spring when we moved house and also into the summer a bit too. But I think in the next few weeks I'll start another declutter - I don't have loads of stuff but still more than I probably should.

It also makes me feel really good when I can donate things I no longer use to charities. Obviously people can sell the stuff that they don't need, but I don't have many particularly expensive items so I'm happy to donate them.

So what are your decluttering top tips? And do you think decluttering could help your wellbeing?

Scroll to see replies

I decluttered the drawers of my desk yesterday and I feel great :u:
I really hate the process too but I like to listen to music or podcasts while I’m doing it!
yes! my mantra is: clear space, clear mind. It really does help you mentally.
Original post by summerberry19
I decluttered the drawers of my desk yesterday and I feel great :u:
I really hate the process too but I like to listen to music or podcasts while I’m doing it!

That's awesome :five:

Ooh that's a good idea - music! Yeah, often upbeat and uplifting music helps me - what sort of music or podcasts do you listen to whilst decluttering? :smile:
Original post by BurstingBubbles
That's awesome :five:

Ooh that's a good idea - music! Yeah, often upbeat and uplifting music helps me - what sort of music or podcasts do you listen to whilst decluttering? :smile:

Woo! :five:

Music-wise, I just listen to whatever’s on my playlist - DROELOE’s been on repeat lately :biggrin:
And for podcasts, I finished one called Passenger List the other day! It’s so good and I can’t wait for season 2 :ahee:
Reply 5
I love decluttering - I was a hoarder of sorts for years since I really struggle to get rid of stuff, but as soon as I discovered I can get rid of stuff if I've taken photos of it I got addicted to it (and haven't stopped since!). I find if I'm having a really overwhelmed day it helps me to just stop and clear out a drawer or folder a bit; often I don't end up actually getting rid of the stuff for days since taking photos takes hours, but knowing that there's a weight of stuff ready to get rid of really calms me down :smile:
Original post by HS_1
yes! my mantra is: clear space, clear mind. It really does help you mentally.

Yes exactly! Any tips for decluttering at all? :biggrin:
Woo! :five:

Music-wise, I just listen to whatever’s on my playlist - DROELOE’s been on repeat lately :biggrin:
And for podcasts, I finished one called Passenger List the other day! It’s so good and I can’t wait for season 2 :ahee:

Ooh I've not heard of DROELOE before I don't think, might have to check them out! :smile:

What's that about? :biggrin:
I absolutely love a declutter. With my desk/office in particular, gradually over the days I work I gather a lot of "stuff" - food, burnt out candles, lots of paper etc. So I find it really therapeutic to spend 10 minutes after I've logged off to just gather all the clutter, chuck stuff away and re-organise ready for the next day.

I regularly sort through my clothes too, about once a month I go through them and look at what I have and whether I wear it often, whether I like it, and also consider how it makes me feel. Anything that I don't wear much, aren't too enthusiastic about and makes me feel "meh" is popped in the charity pile!

I do it with food in the kitchen too. I'll go around the cupboards and see what tins/long-lasting things we've had for ages and then plan that into the food for the week ahead just to de-clutter the cupboards a bit.

It does wonders for the mind :yep:
Original post by Interea
I love decluttering - I was a hoarder of sorts for years since I really struggle to get rid of stuff, but as soon as I discovered I can get rid of stuff if I've taken photos of it I got addicted to it (and haven't stopped since!). I find if I'm having a really overwhelmed day it helps me to just stop and clear out a drawer or folder a bit; often I don't end up actually getting rid of the stuff for days since taking photos takes hours, but knowing that there's a weight of stuff ready to get rid of really calms me down :smile:

Aww that's great! As long as it doesn't go too far the other way and you end up getting rid of too much :tongue: I'm sure you're being sensible with it :yep: I'm glad it helps and calms you down - I feel the same way when I have a sort out :smile:
I think this is my sign to do some decluttering :lol:
Decluttering is definitely the way to go. A messy and disorganised room stresses me out a lot. Once I clean and reorganise everything, I feel so much calmer and relaxed.
Ooh I've not heard of DROELOE before I don't think, might have to check them out! :smile:

What's that about? :biggrin:

I really like them :biggrin:
Ooh it’s about a plane that goes missing, and the protagonist’s twin brother was on it so she starts to look into all the passengers of that flight. I enjoyed the sound design of it a lot - it’s really interesting as it samples news and phone programmes so it feels like you’re actually there! I think it’s loosely inspired by the missing Malaysia flight :yep:
Original post by DrawTheLine
I absolutely love a declutter. With my desk/office in particular, gradually over the days I work I gather a lot of "stuff" - food, burnt out candles, lots of paper etc. So I find it really therapeutic to spend 10 minutes after I've logged off to just gather all the clutter, chuck stuff away and re-organise ready for the next day.

I regularly sort through my clothes too, about once a month I go through them and look at what I have and whether I wear it often, whether I like it, and also consider how it makes me feel. Anything that I don't wear much, aren't too enthusiastic about and makes me feel "meh" is popped in the charity pile!

I do it with food in the kitchen too. I'll go around the cupboards and see what tins/long-lasting things we've had for ages and then plan that into the food for the week ahead just to de-clutter the cupboards a bit.

It does wonders for the mind :yep:

That sounds great and very organised! Is there anything that keeps you particularly motivated to keep on top of tidying and decluttering? Is it that you know it will have positive effects on mood etc.? :smile:
Original post by laurawatt
I think this is my sign to do some decluttering :lol:

Haha! Is it something you've been putting off for a while? :mmm:
I really like them :biggrin:
Ooh it’s about a plane that goes missing, and the protagonist’s twin brother was on it so she starts to look into all the passengers of that flight. I enjoyed the sound design of it a lot - it’s really interesting as it samples news and phone programmes so it feels like you’re actually there! I think it’s loosely inspired by the missing Malaysia flight :yep:

Oh wow, what escapism! Not your typical 'on the beach' type escapism, but still :biggrin:
Original post by Mesopotamian.
Decluttering is definitely the way to go. A messy and disorganised room stresses me out a lot. Once I clean and reorganise everything, I feel so much calmer and relaxed.

I feel exactly the same! My partner and I had a relatively quick tidy up of the living room yesterday and it's helped me feel so much calmer and happy! Our house isn't particular untidy, but I know we have things that we don't need and would be made use of if we donated it - so we need to crack on and do a bit of sorting soon :dumbells:
Reply 17
i'm already a minimalist so nothing left to declutter :h: learned how much you hold on to which you don't need the first time i moved overseas.

i don't have any tips except don't buy stuff you don't think you'll use for a few years and you'll never have to declutter!
Haha! Is it something you've been putting off for a while? :mmm:

maybe :innocent: :lol:
As Jordan Peterson would sometimes say - ''Clean your room''.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending