The Student Room Group

Silencing Black Lives Matter: Priti Patel’s anti-protest law

Well this is disturbing... https://www.politics.co.uk/comment/2021/03/11/silencing-black-lives-matter-priti-patels-anti-protest-law/?cmpredirect

She could, of course, have put what her definition of “serious disruption” is in this new bill. That means it would have got all the scrutiny you’d normally get for legislation committee stage, impact assessments, press attention, full parliamentary votes. But she hasn’t done that. Instead, she has given herself the power to make it whatever she wants, whenever she wants, with only a slim scrap of scrutiny available. The criteria for whether a protest can go ahead and how is now effectively in the hands of the home secretary.
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Nothing unusual, we are moving towards a Police State.
Reply 2
A bill to stop rioters and vandals? Heaven forfend..

The policing bill does this by amending an old piece of legislation called the Public Order Act 1986. This older Act gave police officers powers which they have used against protestors ever since. If they believe that a demonstration risked “serious public disorder, serious damage to property or serious disruption to the life of the community”, they could impose restrictions on it for instance on where it went, whether it moved or how many people could be present.
Original post by Napp
A bill to stop rioters and vandals? Heaven forfend..

Of course it's not as if The Tories have abused everything else... Also I'm fine with riots against this government at this point. It needs to be removed. If they attempt in any way to use this as a means of preventing dissent against Brexit and their policies then this government needs to be removed via way of force. Through all the lying and gas-light in addition to my decent understanding of history I don't trust them as far as I can ****ing throw them!
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Wanttobreakfree
Of course it's not as if The Tories have abused everything else... Also I'm fine with riots against this government. It needs to be removed.

They may well have, what (or whom) have they abused though in your reference?
But youd be terribly upset if anyone rioted against any other government then? Makes total sense.
This government might well be a bunch of incompetent **** heads who should be lobbed into Wormwood scrubs. alas, there is no current alternative thats any better. Labour has an uninspiring leader who has yet to finish purging any of the unelectable far left nutjobs that lost it the last election from its ranks. Although given the context of this thread i presume youd prefer a government of hardline authoritarian leftists of the "anti racist" flavour?
Original post by Napp
But youd be terribly upset if anyone rioted against any other government then? Makes total sense.
This government might well be a bunch of incompetent **** heads who should be lobbed into Wormwood scrubs. alas, there is no current alternative thats any better. Labour has an uninspiring leader who has yet to finish purging any of the unelectable far left nutjobs that lost it the last election from its ranks. Although given the context of this thread i presume youd prefer a government of hardline authoritarian leftists of the "anti racist" flavour?

There's been nothing incompetent with them deliberately enriching themselves in the billions and neglecting their duties as minsters as 130, 000 die. We're comparable in attitude towards this virus to that of America (when it was under fascist Trump/GOP), India under Hindu-Nationalist Modi, Jair Bolsonaro in Brazil and Russia under the Putin regime. Instead of putting people's health first they all due to systemic complacency and lack of accountability used this crisis to loot taxes from the workers in addition to prioritizing their own profit. At the start of the pandemic our government went round suggesting we could: 'take it on the chin' and build: 'herd immunity' (in other words voluntary genocide) as a result 130, 000 are dead in what's supposed to be a: 'first world country.' No this is about eugenics and the right's ideological purity agendas. Incompetence comes afterward what you're seeing here is what they are and the trends although not perfectly aligned do reflect similarities of each-other. The left has no power we're not the nut-jobs the nut-jobs are the ones insisting Tories haven't ruined our country in 11 years they've been in power. If you want to challenge my knowledge on that please try me?

Cause there's not a single left leaning country on this Earth (assuming you actually know what this political spectrum orientation means outside of bizarre ad-hominem in service to a party that doesn't give a damn about any of us) that's dealt with this pandemic where over 130, 000 using our country as an example have been sacrificed for the: 'good of the economy.' (A needlessly dead workforce and tax payer isn't good for the economy at all of course don't let your bias get in the way of logic or sense of course. Just follow this government willingly off of a cliff.)

Here's the problem with you. Think it's: 'nut-job' to transform our current infrastructure to accommodate the needs of low-paid working class that are forced to go to their back end jobs in order to put food on the table and not when say Keir Starmer along with Boris Johnson against scientific advice suggest schools should reopen. That's truly crazy to me and not to mention the capitulation I witness on a weekly basis.

I'd love for you to point out who and specifically what those: 'Authoritarian leftists' are instead of again using this as a vague buzzword to deter any actual real debate about serious crimes against humanity and civil rights in our country at bequest of our government's: 'incompetence.' As I've said with all this context in mind and my decent understanding of history I'm perfectly fine after the lockdown is over with people pursuing civil-agitation against this government. Their constant lies and gas-lighting as well as their down-right criminal neglect has to come to an end if we're to somehow continue as a civilized society.

Listen to yourself you're blaming the left when it's only been the left that's dealt with this virus the most effectively and in turn saving in comparison to us thousands upon thousands of lives. Your irrationality towards this monolith idea of the left that exists purely inside your own head like that of a Red Scare propaganda commercial is completely unwarranted. Last time the left was in power in this country was 1945. What you now considered to be: 'left' is nothing short of your inability to understand your political illiteracy.

You claim to be against 'authoritarianism' and yet you're in naïve lockstep when it comes to whether and or not this will be abused just cause of your blind mindless vitriol against left leaning protest groups. No if you're okay with this then you're also fine especially with context of Spy Cops Bill in mind with how Belarus's protesters were: 'taken care of' by the Belarusian dictatorial state apparatus and the vile institutions that are in accompaniment oppressing and torturing said protesters. You need me to go on cause I can interweave and go into considerable depth towards the current attitudes of our own country in comparison to others that've also recently engaged in a hyper-partisan authoritarian crack-down.

Reference after reference. Point after point. I'll show you zero mercy as I keep hitting you with varying countless examples that'll you'll either try attempting to deny or obfuscate the reality in details I bring forth.

Thanks and good day.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Napp

I'm enjoying the fact that you hold incredibly strong opinions yet evidently don't have a clue what you are talking about.

Try reading the actual article.
Original post by Economixxx
I'm enjoying the fact that you hold incredibly strong opinions yet evidently don't have a clue what you are talking about.

If right winger's could read and interpret facts accurately then they wouldn't be right wingers.
Reply 8
Original post by Economixxx

Awe thats cute, you cant actually argue with anything i said so you simply lob some quaint little insult. Do better next time.
Reply 9
If right winger's could read and interpret facts accurately then they wouldn't be right wingers.

I'm not sure you know what 'right winger' means.. :rolleyes:
There's been nothing incompetent with them deliberately enriching themselves in the billions and neglecting their duties as minsters as 130, 000 die. We're comparable in attitude towards this virus to that of America (when it was under fascist Trump/GOP), India under Hindu-Nationalist Modi, Jair Bolsonaro in Brazil and Russia under the Putin regime. Instead of putting people's health first they all due to systemic complacency and lack of accountability used this crisis to loot taxes from the workers in addition to prioritizing their own profit. At the start of the pandemic our government went round suggesting we could: 'take it on the chin' and build: 'herd immunity' (in other words voluntary genocide) as a result 130, 000 are dead in what's supposed to be a: 'first world country.' No this is about eugenics and the right's ideological purity agendas. Incompetence comes afterward what you're seeing her is what they are and the trends although not perfectly aligned do reflect similarities of each-other. The left has no power we're not the nut-jobs the nut-jobs are the ones insisting Torie haven't ruined our country in 11 years they've been in power. If you want to challenge my knowledge on that please try me?

I'm really starting to question your grasp of politics if you equate fascism with Trumpism. He might be a rpeulsive individual but his regimes policies were not 'fascist' by any stretch of the imagination. Unless of course, as i presume you are, one of those 'leftists' who consider anything right Mao to be "fascist".
Genocide? Is there any particular reason youre misusing these emotive terms for no particular reason? Poor policy does not genocide make.
You seem to be under some quaint illusion that i support the tories? I am more curious as to why you think that? But, indulge me, what is this expertise of conservative politics you claim? A BA you recently acquired per chance?

Cause there's not a single left leaning country on this Earth (assuming you actually know what this political spectrum orientation means outside of bizarre ad-hominem in service to a party that doesn't give a damn about any of us) that's dealt with this pandemic where over 130, 000 using our country as an example have been sacrificed for the: 'good of the economy.' (A needlessly dead workforce and tax payer isn't good for the economy at all of course don't let your bias get in the way of logic or sense of course. Just follow this government willingly off of a cliff.

Lol. Seriously? :lol:
And what bias is this exactly? You seem to be getting very personal for some odd reason on a supreme lack of a base for it. I have made no comment on it yet other than the observation that you're talking claptrap half of the time. Well, most of the time given these assumptions you seem intent on making for no reason.

Here's the problem with you. Think it's: 'nut-job' to transform our current infrastructure to accommodate the needs of low-paid working class that are forced to go to their back end jobs in order to put food on the table and not when say Keir Starmer along with Boris Johnson against scientific advice suggest schools should reopen. That's truly crazy to me and not to mention the capitulation I witness on a weekly basis.

I would list the err 'problems' with you but you've done a good job of it yourself already. Aside from a mild insult though was there a point to be made here?

I'd love for you to point out who and specifically what they: 'Authoritarian leftists' are instead of again using this as a vague buzzword to deter any actual real debate about serious crimes against humanity and civil rights in our country at bequest of our government's: 'incompetence.' As I've said with all this context in mind and my decent understanding of history I'm perfectly fine after the lockdown is over with people pursuing civil-agitation against this government. Their constant lies and gas-lighting as well as their down-right criminal neglect has to come to an end if we're to somehow continue as a civilized society.

I suggest you crack open your dictionary and reacquaint yourself with the definition of 'buzzword' if you think i used one as opposed to an apt description. Unless you are under the amusing belief that thought policing is but an expression of liberty.
Again, you parade your self described aptitude for history, as well as nominally in politics, yet you havent actually said where it comes from? However, given you seem to have based this tirade on some very strange extrapolations from a supreme lack of evidence i would seriously question any claim on your part to having a solid academic grounding in either topic. Never mind your repeated misuse of words from genocide to fascist and 'gaslighting'.
Better question though, again, what makes you think i support your government? You seem to be under the quaint illusion you know a thing about the views i hold yet you havent made a single correct observation. As any more established member of this site can happily attest, i rarely speak in polite terms of the government. That might fly in the face of your amusing opinion on the matter but hey ho.

Listen to yourself you're blaming the left when it's only been the left that's dealt with this virus the most effectively and in turn saving in comparison to us thousands upon thousands of lives. Your irrationality towards this monolith idea of the left that exists purely inside your own head like that of a Red Scare propaganda commercial is completely unwarranted. Last time the left was in power in this country was 1945. What you now considered to be: 'left' is nothing short of your inability to understand your political illiteracy.

Coming from the one who just called America a fascist state and then went off on one about Putin and Modi for some reason you're on shaky ground.
Nice of you to note that your grasp of politics doesnt extend beyond a first trimester undergraduates though. Such arguments have been made word for word by every undergrad politics student before they learn theres a little more to it than that. Suffice it to say, once again, your assumptions are based on nothing at all. Sorry if that puts a dent in your raging anger to anything right of Stalin though.

You claim to be against 'authoritarianism' and yet you're in naïve lockstep when it comes to whether and or not this will be abused just cause of your blind mindless vitriol against left leaning protest groups. No if you're okay then you're also fine especially with context of Spy Cops Bill in mind with how Belarus's protesters were: 'taken care of' by the Belarusian dictatorial state apparatus and the vile institutions that are in accompaniment oppressing and torturing said protesters. You need me to go on cause I can interweave and go into considerable depth towards the current attitudes of our own country in comparison to others that've also recent engaged in a hyper-partisan authoritarian crack-down.

For a comment that was a paragraph long you really have made some impressive extrapolations :rofl: I made no such claim. then again, your entire post is little more than a demonstration of your political naievety and a desire to lob insults like its going out of style. A touch pathetic but there we go.
Remind me how youve drawn a link between my distaste to blm rioters, and others, and Mr Lukashanko..?

Reference after reference. Point after point. I'll show you zero mercy as I keep hitting you with varying countless examples that'll you'll either try attempting to deny or obfuscate the reality in details I bring forth.

Thanks and good day.

You have yet to make a single reference or a single point for that matter, bit awkward for you there, as for "show you zero mercy" :rofl:
Pray tell, which course are you 'studying' then? Or planning on studying? I find it hard to believe anyone who actually has attended auniversity in its fullness would speak in such a ridiculous and empty fashion.

Lets summarise your "argument" though:
All governments are right wing (wrong)
America is fascist (wrong)
Some gibberish about Russia - obviously wrong
And, the bulk of your "argument", a series of odd insults and assumptions on my views that you've dreamt up for the sole purpose of trying to appear knowledgeable on a forum? Very drole.

By all means "show me no mercy" though, this should be jolly fun, and i expect actual references as you promised :smile:
Original post by Napp

I'm really starting to question your grasp of politics if you equate fascism with Trumpism. He might be a rpeulsive individual but his regimes policies were not 'fascist' by any stretch of the imagination. Unless of course, as i presume you are, one of those 'leftists' who consider anything right Mao to be "fascist".
Genocide? Is there any particular reason youre misusing these emotive terms for no particular reason? Poor policy does not genocide make.
You seem to be under some quaint illusion that i support the tories? I am more curious as to why you think that? But, indulge me, what is this expertise of conservative politics you claim? A BA you recently acquired per chance?

Lol. Seriously? :lol:
And what bias is this exactly? You seem to be getting very personal for some odd reason on a supreme lack of a base for it. I have made no comment on it yet other than the observation that you're talking claptrap half of the time. Well, most of the time given these assumptions you seem intent on making for no reason.

I would list the err 'problems' with you but you've done a good job of it yourself already. Aside from a mild insult though was there a point to be made here?

I suggest you crack open your dictionary and reacquaint yourself with the definition of 'buzzword' if you think i used one as opposed to an apt description. Unless you are under the amusing belief that thought policing is but an expression of liberty.
Again, you parade your self described aptitude for history, as well as nominally in politics, yet you havent actually said where it comes from? However, given you seem to have based this tirade on some very strange extrapolations from a supreme lack of evidence i would seriously question any claim on your part to having a solid academic grounding in either topic. Never mind your repeated misuse of words from genocide to fascist and 'gaslighting'.
Better question though, again, what makes you think i support your government? You seem to be under the quaint illusion you know a thing about the views i hold yet you havent made a single correct observation. As any more established member of this site can happily attest, i rarely speak in polite terms of the government. That might fly in the face of your amusing opinion on the matter but hey ho.

Coming from the one who just called America a fascist state and then went off on one about Putin and Modi for some reason you're on shaky ground.
Nice of you to note that your grasp of politics doesnt extend beyond a first trimester undergraduates though. Such arguments have been made word for word by every undergrad politics student before they learn theres a little more to it than that. Suffice it to say, once again, your assumptions are based on nothing at all. Sorry if that puts a dent in your raging anger to anything right of Stalin though.

For a comment that was a paragraph long you really have made some impressive extrapolations :rofl: I made no such claim. then again, your entire post is little more than a demonstration of your political naievety and a desire to lob insults like its going out of style. A touch pathetic but there we go.
Remind me how youve drawn a link between my distaste to blm rioters, and others, and Mr Lukashanko..?

You have yet to make a single reference or a single point for that matter, bit awkward for you there, as for "show you zero mercy" :rofl:
Pray tell, which course are you 'studying' then? Or planning on studying? I find it hard to believe anyone who actually has attended auniversity in its fullness would speak in such a ridiculous and empty fashion.

Lets summarise your "argument" though:
All governments are right wing (wrong)
America is fascist (wrong)
Some gibberish about Russia - obviously wrong
And, the bulk of your "argument", a series of odd insults and assumptions on my views that you've dreamt up for the sole purpose of trying to appear knowledgeable on a forum? Very drole.

By all means "show me no mercy" though, this should be jolly fun, and i expect actual references as you promised :smile:

Geez the spelling and grammar in your reply here is atrocious. (I didn't even go to University cause I didn't want to take on student debt and even I can type more professionally than this.) Your attempt at strawmanning me and outright misrepresenting my arguments even more pathetic; currently awaiting on a new keyboard right now but I'll formulate a response when the new one gets here as responding with a mouse is very tedious.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Napp

For the meantime here's a video of someone going through the characteristics of Ur-Fascism defined by Umberto Eco and comparing it with the apparent elements of Trumpism or as I like to call: 'The cult of MAGA.'
Reply 12
Geez the spelling and grammar in your reply here is atrocious. (I didn't even go to University cause I didn't want to take on student debt and even I can type more professionally than this.) Your attempt at strawmanning me and outright misrepresenting my arguments even more pathetic; currently awaiting on a new keyboard right now but I'll formulate a response when the new one gets here as responding with a mouse is very tedious.

Yeah, you know you've lost the debate when the best you can do is go off on one about my 'spelling and grammar' :rofl:
I'm aware, i took a cursory look at your profile. You'll forgive me for not taking the opinion of someone who barely got a BTEC overly seriously when it comes to your pretentions to being an expert on anything academic:rolleyes: (that ignoring your inability to make a single point that isnt a weird little insult)
You have a good day pretending pretending to be well versed in politics, policy and history though :smile:
Original post by Napp
Yeah, you know you've lost the debate when the best you can do is go off on one about my 'spelling and grammar' :rofl:
I'm aware, i took a cursory look at your profile. You'll forgive me for not taking the opinion of someone who barely got a BTEC overly seriously when it comes to your pretentions to being an expert on anything academic:rolleyes: (that ignoring your inability to make a single point that isnt a weird little insult)
You have a good day pretending pretending to be well versed in politics, policy and history though :smile:

Again patience; new keyboard is coming. Not sure what the immature usage of emotes does to substantiate your contentions but you do you. I will point out this though. Trumpism is not America and it'd be wise of a University graduate like yourself to understand such an important distinction in future.

Oh and actually I passed my BTEC with grade DDM not that this non-sequitur of a personal ad-hominem attack has much if at all any relevance to this discussion at hand.
(edited 3 years ago)
This is a real concern to those of us that believe in free expression and civil liberties.
Original post by Napp

No poor policy does not genocide make but deliberate systemic neglect and abuse leading to the needless scientifically statistically avoidable mass deaths of 130, 000 people in just over span of a year could be considered as what Fredrich Engels called: 'social murder' that can be potentially perceived as a type of genocide. Furthermore; whilst you may and or may not actually support the Tory government as a whole in you don't seem too fussed in defending corrupt Tory individuals like Priti Patel which The Party brought back after committing an illegal offence that previously barred her from office determining what should and or should not be: 'legal' concerning a protest. Lastly I must say one who doesn't consider the current GOP and Trump fascist speaks volumes to me regards to their politics. If it's not the Tories you support it's definitely a party that's even further right wing and hyper-traditionalist than they are. UKIP perhaps?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Durham Lad
🤬 Oh not this sh!t again. I couldn't care less about it last time. Just stfu about it and stop posting this nonsense.

#AllLivesMatter

All Lives Matter except when they're the poor, disabled and the ethnically and minority discriminated or systemically abused. In addition for one who supposedly doesn't care you are quite angry over something you'd appear to have little comprehension of. If me being worried about the trajectory of our freedoms being potentially trampled on by a criminal that's now trying to define what is and isn't law breaking: 'nonsense' then what would you call needlessly getting heated over a linked article you've clearly not even read?
All Lives Matter except when they're the poor, disabled and the ethnically and minority discriminated or systemically abused. In addition for one who supposedly doesn't care you are quite angry over something you'd appear to have little comprehension of. If me being worried about the trajectory of our freedoms being potentially trampled on by a criminal that's now trying to define what is and isn't law breaking: 'nonsense' then what would you call needlessly getting heated over a linked article you've clearly not even read?

All Lives Matter means all lives matter. We are all important, we all share the same amount of importance. No one is more superior that anyone else. Everyone's lives are equal. Black lives matter drives attention away from the fact that all lives matter.
Original post by Durham Lad
All Lives Matter means all lives matter. We are all important, we all share the same amount of importance. No one is more superior that anyone else. Everyone's lives are equal. Black lives matter drives attention away from the fact that all lives matter.

I'll simply allow this young girl to explain.
blm-kids (1).jpg
Also what the hell does this non-sequitur have to do with Tories cracking down on protest generally and how a criminal is the one decided what is or not: 'criminality?'
(edited 3 years ago)
I'll simply allow this young girl to explain.
blm-kids (1).jpg
Also what the hell does this non-sequitur have to do with Tories cracking down on protest generally and how a criminal is the one decided what is or not: 'criminality?'

I would never say black lives do not matter, because they do. They matter just as much as anyone else. We should all be fighting for ALM instead of concentrating on only BLM is what I mean.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending