The Student Room Group

ANPR no insurance

I know this sounds stupid and it's a mistake on my behalf. Picked up my first car and thought I had drive away insurance but I didn't and my actual insurance started the day after I picked the car up.

I drove around 25 minutes down the road and was on a small stretch of the M62. I've read up alot of people usually get pulled over and fined there and then and lose their car. That didn't happen but I think I might have gone past an ANPR camera but I have no idea. My insurance is valid now but I'm just wonder how long will I have to wait before I receive something for the offence I've committed? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply 1
Firstly - I am not a lawyer.

AFAIK the offence is not one for which a Notice of Intended Prosecution is required, so the only time limit which applies is the six months to start court proceedings. You may not hear anything for some time.

However on the plus side I would expect the chances of actually being prosecuted will be pretty low even if you have driven past an ANPR camera. Also I suspect the registered keeper will be contacted to ascertain who was the driver as it could have been a mechanic or other person with a policy allowing your car to be driven (most fully comp policies that give any vehicle 3rd party cover only cover insured vehicles from memory but trades policies etc allow vehicles to be driven as long as they’re otherwise road legal) so I think you’d hear in that particular rule first before a summons.

Unfortunately it’s one of these things that need to be kept track of and if you get cause you’ll just have to hold up your hands and admit. I think it’s 6 points and a fine but not sure.

FYI there’s a gov/insurance company website called askMID (motor insurance database) which will show if any vehicle is insured in the UK. It’s well worth checking when your renewal kicks in to check you’re still correct.

edit: looks like it’s no NIP required and usually 6 points & up to £5000 fine but could be a ban and you should know within 6 months.
http://www.motordefencesolicitors.co.uk/offence-guides/driving-without-insurance/

However it would appear not many people get caught
https://www.eta.co.uk/2020/01/03/uninsured-drivers-enjoy-92-chance-of-getting-away-with-it/

IF you do get caught it may well be worth getting legal support on this. When I got caught speeding my union was willing to pay to defend me - although that may have been because I was in a works vehicle.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Thanks for the advice I'll just have to wait and see it's looking like some get done for it and some don't. I'm insured now it was just an embarrassing **** up on my behalf that won't be happening again, that's for sure. Sounds like I'd get a letter within 3 weeks if I'm going to be prosecuted for it
Reply 3
Original post by Ozzylad2000
Thanks for the advice I'll just have to wait and see it's looking like some get done for it and some don't. I'm insured now it was just an embarrassing **** up on my behalf that won't be happening again, that's for sure. Sounds like I'd get a letter within 3 weeks if I'm going to be prosecuted for it

No worries,
Unfortunately it’s one of these things in life that a minor mistake can cause such an impact.

My guess is something might still come out of the woodwork up to 6months later as they don’t require NIP and the wheels of bureaucracy run ever slowly but the longer it is the less likely it is.

Good luck - I hope you don’t get any issues. From what you say it sounds like a genuine mistake you won’t make again. Unfortunately sometimes we just “have to take our medicine”.
Reply 4
Original post by virgil1
No worries,
Unfortunately it’s one of these things in life that a minor mistake can cause such an impact.

My guess is something might still come out of the woodwork up to 6months later as they don’t require NIP and the wheels of bureaucracy run ever slowly but the longer it is the less likely it is.

Good luck - I hope you don’t get any issues. From what you say it sounds like a genuine mistake you won’t make again. Unfortunately sometimes we just “have to take our medicine”.

Yeah I know I've read up someone picked up their first car and did the same thing. Can imagine it's pretty common it's insured today just wasn't yesterday. They said you get a response usually within a few weeks
Reply 5
Nothing will come of it.
Reply 6
Original post by IWMTom
Nothing will come of it.

Thanks for the comment, much appreciated :smile:
Reply 7
You'll be fine mate half the cars in birmingham are uninsured lool
Reply 8
Original post by mak1904
You'll be fine mate half the cars in birmingham are uninsured lool

Thanks man was making me nervous think I'll be okay, is insuranced now got the date mixed up and thought I had drive away insurance from the garage. Was only 25 mins as well probably didn't cover enough road.
Reply 9
Original post by Ozzylad2000
Thanks man was making me nervous think I'll be okay, is insuranced now got the date mixed up and thought I had drive away insurance from the garage. Was only 25 mins as well probably didn't cover enough road.

Yeah I reckon you'll be alright man, don't stress until its actually happened
Original post by mak1904
Yeah I reckon you'll be alright man, don't stress until its actually happened

Yeah I'll try not to its just I start a job soon and I could lose my license that's all. Would be a pretty big deal although I could pass again pretty easily it's just embarrassing if it does happen
Same situation. Anything happen?
So had insurance missed a payment but insurance was aware of that they said they would cancel me on 9th March if i didn’t pay outstanding balance I explained I didn’t have the money to pay by the date they say they wouldn’t cancel my policy and would refer me to finance team to help me so I don’t lose my policy they cancelled me yesterday I didn’t no and drove my car today I also used a petrol station will I get done for this
So had insurance missed a payment but insurance was aware of that they said they would cancel me on 9th March if i didn’t pay outstanding balance I explained I didn’t have the money to pay by the date they say they wouldn’t cancel my policy and would refer me to finance team to help me so I don’t lose my policy they cancelled me yesterday I didn’t no and drove my car today I also used a petrol station will I get done for this

Latest

Trending

Trending