The Student Room Group

I hate my job but can’t leave because of University

I am currently working full time at a Psychiatric hospital however I am also at University doing my nursing (funded by work). I attend university one day a week and work 3 days a week (14 hour shifts).

I absolutely hate my job, it is either boring and spent observing patients or it is hectic - short staffed and dealing with violence/self harm incidents.

I find myself dreading going to work and anxious when I’m there just counting down the hours until I’m done.

My long term plan is to become a community psychiatric nurse and aesthetic practitioner and I do really enjoy my university course. I have worked in various settings prior and do want to be a mental health nurse so it isn’t something I want to change in that respect. I cannot leave because this isn’t something I can fund myself as well as paying my mortgage, bills etc.

I think I’m asking for miraculous advice here on how to get through the next 3 years or if anyone has been in a similar position to me.

Thank you
Move to a full time MH Nursing degree where the placements will vary and you can work bank shifts as a HCW?
Any scope to have a less gruelling shift pattern?

Ask for ideas on the Nursing forum.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Move to a full time MH Nursing degree where the placements will vary and you can work bank shifts as a HCW?

Unfortunately I can’t because work are putting me through it and I’m halfway through my first year and I couldn’t earn enough to cover my bills 😔
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
Any scope to have a less gruelling shift pattern?

Ask for ideas on the Nursing forum.

They’re all long days unfortunately! I will thank you it’s my first time posting so think I uploaded it to the wrong one. Thank you
there is an aesthetic practitioner degree in Birmingham ucb if you're able to transfer

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending