The Student Room Group

Teeth Extraction for braces

Hey guys, so long story short I’m having 4 premolars extracted, two at the top and two at the bottom due to overcrowding and flared front teeth for braces which is later followed with plastic retainers for as long as I live.

I was wondering if anyone has got this treatment or has any knowledge of it, shall I continue to get it done?
I had the exact same thing. The extraction wasn't exactly pleasant but it was okay and after a day I was fine. Definitely get it done. I think I had my braces on for about 2 years but my orthodontists kept retiring and I kept having to wait for someone else to take their place, which delayed my braces coming off. Obviously, everyone is different though and you might have yours off sooner or later than I did. Just ask your orthodontist when you get them on, roughly how long they expect it to take. You can keep asking throughout the procedure. I would say it's worth it. My entire face changed tbh. I now have so much more of a jawline and cheekbones that I am grateful that I had braces. Hope this helped a bit. I'll be happy to answer any questions :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Hey guys, so long story short I’m having 4 premolars extracted, two at the top and two at the bottom due to overcrowding and flared front teeth for braces which is later followed with plastic retainers for as long as I live.

I was wondering if anyone has got this treatment or has any knowledge of it, shall I continue to get it done?

Mine was way more unexpected lol. Knew I was going to have it at some point but one day my dentist said shall we get it over and done with so I just agreed and got all 4 taken out. Yes it does hurt and feels weird af after but it pays off trust me
Yeah I had braces and 4 teeth out. Having the teeth out wasn't that bad, I wasn't numbed enough though lol :redface:. Having braces was the best decision I made, my teeth were a mess. I had mine on for about 14 months (would've been less but Covid). Having them tightened was an odd feeling, but it didn't last long.

Retainers aren't that bad, they hurt a bit when you put them in if you haven't worn them for a bit. But it isn't that bad, and you don't really notice them. But if you break them, go to the orthodontist to get them fixed.
Reply 4
Original post by something_orphic
I had the exact same thing. The extraction wasn't exactly pleasant but it was okay and after a day I was fine. Definitely get it done. I think I had my braces on for about 2 years but my orthodontists kept retiring and I kept having to wait for someone else to take their place, which delayed my braces coming off. Obviously, everyone is different though and you might have yours off sooner or later than I did. Just ask your orthodontist when you get them on, roughly how long they expect it to take. You can keep asking throughout the procedure. I would say it's worth it. My entire face changed tbh. I now have so much more of a jawline and cheekbones that I am grateful that I had braces. Hope this helped a bit. I'll be happy to answer any questions :smile:

Firstly thx for the response! The braces will take approx 15months for me and I’m glad it went well for you, but did you wear the retainers nightly or the whole day?
Reply 5
Original post by Salah.bx
Mine was way more unexpected lol. Knew I was going to have it at some point but one day my dentist said shall we get it over and done with so I just agreed and got all 4 taken out. Yes it does hurt and feels weird af after but it pays off trust me

Thx for replying back to me it means a lot, how is it when it comes to eating, uncomfortable or the same?
Reply 6
Original post by ReviseSleeping
Yeah I had braces and 4 teeth out. Having the teeth out wasn't that bad, I wasn't numbed enough though lol :redface:. Having braces was the best decision I made, my teeth were a mess. I had mine on for about 14 months (would've been less but Covid). Having them tightened was an odd feeling, but it didn't last long.

Retainers aren't that bad, they hurt a bit when you put them in if you haven't worn them for a bit. But it isn't that bad, and you don't really notice them. But if you break them, go to the orthodontist to get them fixed.

Awh I’m honestly glad it all worked out for you, I was a bit nervous at first haha but u covered up the most i questioned but one final thing, did you wear the retainers nightly only or wear them the whole day? Also how is eating now?
Awh I’m honestly glad it all worked out for you, I was a bit nervous at first haha but u covered up the most i questioned but one final thing, did you wear the retainers nightly only or wear them the whole day? Also how is eating now?

I wore them all day (obviously when I wasn’t eating) for two weeks, now I just wear them at night. Eating now is fine.
The treatment you’re describing is a typical orthodontic treatment - nothing unusual.

I didn’t have the same ortho treatment as you, but regarding retainers; they’ll give you instruction on how and when to wear them. For example, I was supposed to wear mine all the time for the first 6 months and then after that just at night, but forever. It’s important you listen to whatever your orthodontist instructs you to do because otherwise your teeth will move back. I know lots of people who didn’t and now they’re teeth have become unaligned.
(edited 3 years ago)
Firstly thx for the response! The braces will take approx 15months for me and I’m glad it went well for you, but did you wear the retainers nightly or the whole day?

Just nightly as that it is what I was directed to do so by my orthodontist. :smile: I don't know many people personally that had to have theirs on for the whole day tbh.
Original post by something_orphic
Just nightly as that it is what I was directed to do so by my orthodontist. :smile: I don't know many people personally that had to have theirs on for the whole day tbh.

That’s all, thanks for helping!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending