The Student Room Group

Is this cheating...

I have a tutor for A levels. In preparation for my Jan mocks he tested me in timed conditions using a mixture of the 2019/2020 papers (which I did not know at the time). My Jan mocks got pushed to march and they coincidentally were the 2020 papers. I did not actively go out to find the papers and now I'm worried I'm going to be accused of cheating.

Scroll to see replies

No it’s not you didn’t do it intentionally .I would call It’s a coincidence. This however the same thing happens to my sister and they believed her to be cheating and the failed her for the exam so I would speak careful of writing answers down with no explanation for example do not write an answer you remember from the exam practice with your tutor without explaining /writing the way in who you arrived as the result.specifically for maths or they might assume you cheated.
Reply 2
No it’s not u were just lucky to hv sit them before and ur teachers would hv kept in mind
Reply 3
Original post by Bernerditta
No it’s not you didn’t do it intentionally .I would call It’s a coincidence. This however the same thing happens to my sister and they believed her to be cheating and the failed her for the exam so I would speak careful of writing answers down with no explanation for example do not write an answer you remember from the exam practice with your tutor without explaining /writing the way in who you arrived as the result.specifically for maths or they might assume you cheated.

For bio and chem i did explain how I got to the answers however today my bio teacher said that she knew some people had the papers so idk what to do.
Reply 4
just dont tell anyone and they wont know

nvm i guess thats too late
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Aeulia
just dont tell anyone and they wont know

nvm i guess thats too late

My teacher said that she is suspicious that people cheated on paper 2 bio as people did exceptionally better in it however I did well on both papers so do you think I am safe :frown:
Original post by idkkkkkk
For bio and chem i did explain how I got to the answers however today my bio teacher said that she knew some people had the papers so idk what to do.

As Long as you explained you shouldn’t worry about it. Also please don’t feel guilty you didn’t cheat and it was not intentional or else I wouldn’t classify this as cheating so don’t worry.The only reason my sister failed was due to the lack of explanations.
It is not cheating. It's just coincidental that you've already done the exact paper.
Reply 8
thanks guys i feel a little reassured but im worried they might not use my grade as evidence for CAGs. Can teachers refuse to use grades?
Reply 9

did they have evidence that she cheated? I don't see how someone can be accused of cheating by doing the paper before the exam
thanks guys i feel a little reassured but im worried they might not use my grade as evidence for CAGs. Can teachers refuse to use grades?

No they cannot refuse to use your grade because you haven’t cheated you sat the exams on fair Conditions just like every other students doing the same exam as you merely came by the exam due to coincidence but you don’t tell them that in fact I have asked you not to tell them that just from experience.Also the only reason they would refuse to use your exam is if your school for whatever reason to side sassy do you want to use the mocks as a whole in order to decide your final grade .For example if he decides to not use the marks that you and everyone else done in January but rather a new mock that they will have in the future.This happens to me as I don’t exams in January however decided that he did not want to use January exam instead they wanted to use March exams.But overall you don’t have anything to worry about don’t worry about it
Original post by tptp123
did they have evidence that she cheated? I don't see how someone can be accused of cheating by doing the paper before the exam

I don’t think they have evidence of her cheating cheating but rather it’s just based on speculation or disbelief that she could do that well in the exam.
Reply 12
No they cannot refuse to use your grade because you haven’t cheated you sat the exams on fair Conditions just like every other students doing the same exam as you merely came by the exam due to coincidence but you don’t tell them that in fact I have asked you not to tell them that just from experience.Also the only reason they would refuse to use your exam is if your school for whatever reason to side sassy do you want to use the mocks as a whole in order to decide your final grade .For example if he decides to not use the marks that you and everyone else done in January but rather a new mock that they will have in the future.This happens to me as I don’t exams in January however decided that he did not want to use January exam instead they wanted to use March exams.But overall you don’t have anything to worry about don’t worry about it

so i don't tell them i saw the paper beforehand right?
so i don't tell them i saw the paper beforehand right?

Yes don’t tell them that you saw the paper beforehand because you don’t have any proof to say that she didn’t cheat no offence even if you didn’t cheat.My sister as I said told them that she found the paper online While doing practice questions but they still refuse to believe her and said that she cheated instead that’s why I’m saying don’t tell them that you saw the paper Or done the paper.
Reply 14
what should i say if a teacher accuses me?
I was in the exact same situation last year... I had explained that I had used them as revision material in preparation for the exams which coincidentally happened to be exactly the same... I just told them that they were relatively easy to access on a revision website and that's how I came across them... they asked me to show them the website I found them from and I did, when I got the actual exam papers back of course I received pretty much full marks and for 2 out of 3 papers I sat they didn't take those into account towards my final grade because they knew of the circumstances. by the way, I didn't know they were going to use last year's paper in my case, but before I finally spoke to my teacher pretty much everyone in my year knew about it and it was terrifying because half would accuse of cheating and the others pretty much would have revised the same way I did.. but don't stress too much about it because it's not as bad as it looks
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by tptp123
thats ridiculous lmao. How can you fail someone because they did well ???
I've been revising over easter and I don't want teachers accusing me of cheating just because i got an A

I know,I agree unfortunately some schools are very strict with their no cheating policy and Are totally unreasonable.
Reply 17
Original post by 90 cent
I was in the exact same situation last year... I had explained that I had used them as revision material in preparation for the exams which coincidentally happened to be exactly the same... I just told them that they were relatively easy to access on a revision website and that's how I came across them... they asked me to show them the website I found them from and I did, when I got the actual exam papers back of course I received pretty much full marks and for 2 out of 3 papers I sat they didn't take those into account towards my final grade because they knew of the circumstances. by the way, I didn't know they were going to use last year's paper in my case, but before I finally spoke to my teacher pretty much everyone in my year knew about it and it was terrifying because half would accuse of cheating and the others pretty much would have revised the same way I did.. but don't stress too much about it because it's not as bad as it looks

Thank you :smile: so if a teacher asks me if I saw the paper should I deny ?

no, I wouldn't deny ... that will only get you into a heap load of more trouble (i guess if absolutely no one else knows about your situation then it's different.. in my case I had to tell the truth because pretty much everyone knew at that point)
I just straight up said yeah I accessed the paper from a revision website as a revision tool cus y'all keep going on about how you should be doing past papers etc

Yes and this is just based of my experience for anyone seeing this who might not agree look at what I wrote previously to this message before criticising me for my opinion .
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest