The Student Room Group

Can I switch to move into accommodation even though I applied to stay at home?

As of now, I chose Middlesex as my firm choice and Ravensbourne as my insurance and for both of them I chose to stay at home with parents. However, I don't feel 100% sure or satisfied with my choice of staying with parents because I may regret it as Uni starts. So even though I stated on my application that I will be living at home with parents, can I change my mind to live in accommodation inside or is it too late?
Yes. Just apply for accommodation. Universities don’t pay any attention to whether you ticked that you will live at home - too many students get it wrong or change their mind.
Reply 2
I am sure if you contact the Uni you can still apply. They won’t be allocating accommodation until after results day.
Reply 3
Original post by TK max
I am sure if you contact the Uni you can still apply. They won’t be allocating accommodation until after results day.

Alright so until results day, got it
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Jordz_Mas
As of now, I chose Middlesex as my firm choice and Ravensbourne as my insurance and for both of them I chose to stay at home with parents. However, I don't feel 100% sure or satisfied with my choice of staying with parents because I may regret it as Uni starts. So even though I stated on my application that I will be living at home with parents, can I change my mind to live in accommodation inside or is it too late?

It's bit late to guarantee university accommodation you could always go on a waiting list or ask on your university SU forum if anyone wants to get a house together because they either missed out or went through clearing or something or ask at the estate agent's if there are any rooms in house shares that are going begging or there are companies like liberty living (private halls) and your SU would also be able to help so yeah you do have a few options.

But first of all apply via the university thy won't have allocated halls yet people wi;; miss their offer and things like that. Make sure you tell SFE you have changed your mind though that is prime.
(edited 2 years ago)
Alright so until results day, got it

Do NOT wait until results day. That’s just when SOME universities allocate rooms (and even then you’ll usually need to apply before a deadline in may/june/july/august).

look on the websites of your universities and find out how and when you need to apply for accommodation.
Original post by PQ
Do NOT wait until results day. That’s just when SOME universities allocate rooms (and even then you’ll usually need to apply before a deadline in may/june/july/august).

look on the websites of your universities and find out how and when you need to apply for accommodation.

I agree don’t wait they need to know you want it otherwise they can’t allocate it to you I’d be applying now or tomorrow if I was you.
I'd say contact the university about it and definitely check if that's what you've selected for your student finance. If you can't afford to pay for the accommodation yourself AND you've selected living at home when doing student finance you'd first have to contact them to get that changed so you get higher maintenance loan to live on.

After that yes contact university, just call them straight, emails might take a while and maybe even better contact private accommodations in town because they usually always have few rooms avaliable no matter time applying really and as they're not managed by the university they're a lot easier to get into contact with and get a faster response.
There’s no need to email universities or wait for a reply. Go on your university websites, find the search tool and search for “accommodation”. There will be details on the website explaining exactly what you need to do to apply for/book accommodation at each university. You could have it done before the staff get into work tomorrow morning.
Rave: https://www.ravensbourne.ac.uk/information/prospective-students/accommodation/undergraduate-accommodation

They don’t guarantee accommodation or let you apply if they’re your insurance but it’s worth having a look at the private halls they partner with

Hey what course are you doing? I’m commuting as well this year and I haven’t made any friends yet lol
Reply 12
Original post by Hayatesk
Hey what course are you doing? I’m commuting as well this year and I haven’t made any friends yet lol

I've applied for Film BA for Middlesex and Post production for ravensbourne
(edited 2 years ago)

Hi,

My name is Aleks and I am an ambassador at Middlesex University! First of all, we are so happy that you chose us as your firm choice! Second, to answer your question, I would recommend you send an email to our Accommodation Department: [email protected]. They will be able to help and answer any other questions you might have regarding accommodations.

I hope this helps!

Kind regards,
Aleks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending