The Student Room Group

Paramedic and mental health?!

Hi, I’m year 12 student hoping to go to university to do paramedic science and become of course a paramedic eventually. Only question I have is am I able to actually do this in regard to mental health? I have suspected depression and had counselling through school however I didn’t find this useful and am soon to be going to the doctors to help my situation as it’s a horrible way to live. I have suffered from suicidal thoughts however I believe that although I have these feelings I in time can push them away as I have been doing. I have also previously self harmed but not enough damage for any healthcare provider to know. My GP doesn’t know and nothing is on my record as of now. I am hoping to get this sorted but wonder if these issues are going to prevent me from the job I’ve aspired to become my whole life? Would be grateful if anyone has any information on this as I couldn’t find much online :frown: thanks in advance and sorry for the life story just thought would be good for some background
I have applied to unis for paramedic science.I have suffered with mental health too.Ive been sectioned and have been in hospital in London away from home for a whole year back in 2016 or so....Universities cannot discriminate against mental health.If you want to talk about this just message me!!!:smile:
I have just been doing some googling and stumbled upon this post as I am in a similar position. Did It work out for you both in the end?
Original post by Josh.Heath112
I have just been doing some googling and stumbled upon this post as I am in a similar position. Did It work out for you both in the end?

You need to pass occupational health clearance. This means that past issues are usually fine - you'll have no problem if you're fully recovered. If you're currently having mental health issues they will need to be satisfied that you can do the job and that the distressing things you see won't make you worse. This means they may ask for a report from your GP/counsellor/psychiatrist etc to show you're going through treatment. You also need to show that you have enough insight into your condition to be able to seek help if you are getting worse.

Latest

Trending

Trending